Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gentle giant ( three friends )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gentle giant ( three friends )
    Posted: October 27 2020 at 16:10
Wonderful album re- listened twice now, but very, very short album the muscianship is bar none, my favorites are SCHOOLDAYS and WORKING ALL DAY but album,s epic PEEL THE PAINT is stunning ,concerning the shortness of the album, maybe the shulmans left some tracks in the studio, one will never know .THANKS for taking the time to read my review GRANT.

Edited by grantman - October 28 2020 at 05:39
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 21:19
It's a very good album, if a bit imbalanced for me, as the first two tracks are my favorites by far.  The rest are good too, though, and Gary Green really stars in Peel the Paint.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 22:51
It’s one of my three favourite Gentle Giant albums, along with the debut and Acquiring the Taste (my favourite). I find it excellent throughout, and the final track has given me shivers. Many don’t like Three Friends nearly as much as I do.

Edited by Logan - October 27 2020 at 22:56
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 23:53
I have a ton of love for this album. For many years early on into my collecting, it was the only GG album I had, and I spun it constantly. Got all the rest eventually, of course, but I was a little disappointed to read that (if I remember correctly) the band didn't rate it too highly themselves, and it's not a top favourite amongst a large majority of their fans - surely only because the other albums are all so strong?!

I think, nowadays, they perhaps made better albums, but this is still my personal little favourite from them.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 01:26
A bit of a 'wildcard' GG album I feel. Possibly even a bit of a transition after the first couple of album that stood almost as a pair. They didn't want to be full on symphonic prog but this nods a little towards the expansive prog of Yes and ELP. Personally I think they made much better albums later on (Freehand and Power and The Glory) but its certainly an interesting and unique album.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 02:29
Always was one of my favorite GG albums!
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 03:42
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

it's not a top favourite amongst a large majority of their fans - surely only because the other albums are all so strong?!

I think the strength of the catalog does have something to do with it.  It's difficult to get much attention when standing alongside the likes of Octopus, Free Hand, and The Power and the Glory.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 10:19
Acquiring the taste and octopus which imo are GG's masterpieces overshadow it. However, it is in itself a fine album.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 23:17
With Acquiring the Taste and Octopus and a lesser extent, Free Hand, I feel Gentle Giant are playing games with my head. It's taken 30 years for me to master Free Hand. By the time I'm dead maybe then I'll appreciate Acquiring the Taste and Octopus. Meanwhile my two favorite Gentle Giant albums are the debut album and Three Friends because I get what the band is doing.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 23:38
It's a fantastic album!

The only issue with GG, is they kept getting better and better, so it's very hard to pick a favorite or say this is better than that; it's all relative. Three Friends is a very solid record!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 15:03
It's a slight disappointment for me after the 2 first albums, actually. Those two were perfect, and then I can't get into their music so easily.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 16:29
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I have a ton of love for this album. For many years early on into my collecting, it was the only GG album I had, and I spun it constantly. Got all the rest eventually, of course, but I was a little disappointed to read that (if I remember correctly) the band didn't rate it too highly themselves, and it's not a top favourite amongst a large majority of their fans - surely only because the other albums are all so strong?!

I think, nowadays, they perhaps made better albums, but this is still my personal little favourite from them.

Like Michael this is my favorite GG album, though Power and the Glory comes very close. Their first 7 albums are simply amazing--I find something new every time I go back!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 02:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It’s one of my three favourite Gentle Giant albums, along with the debut and Acquiring the Taste (my favourite). I find it excellent throughout, and the final track has given me shivers. Many don’t like Three Friends nearly as much as I do.

In that case, (if you haven't already) it's worth you checking out 'Three Piece Suite', which is Steven Wilson's re-mix of tracks off the first three albums where the track masters still exist, including Schooldays and Peel the Paint. 
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:21
Incredible album - words fail me as to how good the title track coda is. Absolutely mind-blowing stuff. Might even be my fave GG album.
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
 Post Reply Post Reply