Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If only.... what if.... :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If only.... what if.... :(
    Posted: October 31 2020 at 08:36
Was stretched and chilling out on sofa this morning, letting the mind wander while listening to Pekka Streng & Tasavallan Presidentti: Magneettimiehen Kuolema from 1970. 

Finnish, don't know a word... alien language to me.  But if I close my eyes and just let it all flow in as music... gosh this album is a classic.  Great mix of folk prog psychedelic calming....dream on...

Sad really, when you think how many classics are out there and if they were English, we would not be talking over and over again repeatedly about the English albums being the greatest since sliced bread.  I think the rating here reflects that... it should be higher and would be... if only...

I am small... the world is big... the universe incomprehensible... I wish I were big Cry
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 08:44
I’m quite glad they aren’t in English. Generally speaking, when non-English bands choose to sing in English, it’s nowhere near as interesting as when they sing in their own language. Whether it’s PFM and BMS back in the day, or Opeth more recently, as just three examples, English-sung versions tend to be inferior to the native language versions.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 14:37
^^ Yeah, one's native language is usually the language of the heart, so I find that singers sound way more inspired when singing in their tongue instead of "forcing" themselves to sing in English.

I will sound contradictory, but I prefer singing in English than in my native language, Spanish. The reason for it is that I find the vowel sounds in Spanish very limited and restrictive. We only have 5 vowel sounds, while in English each vowel has at least two different sounds. And I think some languages have even more sounds. To me that gives more variety, flexibility and possibilities to a singer.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 19:46
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

^^ Yeah, one's native language is usually the language of the heart, so I find that singers sound way more inspired when singing in their tongue instead of "forcing" themselves to sing in English.

Wouldn't it be great if you had a universal language translator as used in Startrek where you could understand and enjoy the lyrics as they are meant to be enjoyed.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 21:32
I also prefer bands singing in their native languages rather than english... I find it much more interesting, even if I don't understand the lyrics. RPI in particular I am tempted to dismiss songs / albums if they are not sung in italian.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 21:37

I will sound contradictory, but I prefer singing in English than in my native language, Spanish. The reason for it is that I find the vowel sounds in Spanish very limited and restrictive. We only have 5 vowel sounds, while in English each vowel has at least two different sounds. And I think some languages have even more sounds. To me that gives more variety, flexibility and possibilities to a singer.

My native language is also spanish, and I sort of understand what you're saying. For me it's particularly with pop, for some reason it almost always just sounds terrible in spanish, even if I do like a good deal of it in english (even the songs that I like in their english versions, they just sound cheap to me in spanish). However, I do find rockier songs sound just fine in spanish.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 00:33
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

My native language is also spanish, and I sort of understand what you're saying. For me it's particularly with pop, for some reason it almost always just sounds terrible in spanish, even if I do like a good deal of it in english (even the songs that I like in their english versions, they just sound cheap to me in spanish). However, I do find rockier songs sound just fine in spanish.

I know! For example: "Todo lo que hago / Lo hago poooor ti" - Bryan Adams

Or: "Como yo, nadie te ha amado" - Bon Jovi

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 00:41
Great thread, OP!

Topics like this really break down the abstraction of music, almost philosophically in a way, which of course I dig LOL.

Gloassalalia! Speaking in tongues! It might as well be Greek, but you know there's something being said; the syncopation and rhythm takes you and that's the only language you need to know! 

I think half the reason PFM clicks for me is that Italian just flows, especially in 70's golden era symphonic prog lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 01:02
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Great thread, OP!

Topics like this really break down the abstraction of music, almost philosophically in a way, which of course I dig LOL.

Gloassalalia! Speaking in tongues! It might as well be Greek, but you know there's something being said; the syncopation and rhythm takes you and that's the only language you need to know! 

I think half the reason PFM clicks for me is that Italian just flows, especially in 70's golden era symphonic prog lol.

They say Italian is the language for music, as English the language for business, French the language for love, and Spanish the language to talk to God

Sadly, I've only heard Per Un Amico, so I'm not an expert on that area. But the vocals there really got that flow you speak of.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 05:53
Magneettimiehen Kuolema = Death of a magnetic man

Damm... two words = 5 in English.  Can't think of another language that I know that could make 5 = 2.  Maybe Zeuhl :)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 06:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I can't imagine Ska-P singing in English. Not prog, but I love them. In Spanish.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 06:31
One of my favourite Symphonic Metal bands is Nightwish, but I doubt if I'd like them quite as much if they sung  in their native Finnish language. Anyway, "Kiitos" for this thread. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 06:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

One of my favourite Symphonic Metal bands is Nightwish, but I doubt if I'd like them quite as much if they sung  in their native Finnish language. Anyway, "<span lang="fi">Kiitos" for this thread. Smile</span>

I love Nightwish too! They have a couple of songs in Finnish on an album or two, but I can't recall which. That must be because they're not among their best songs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 07:14

One of my favourite Symphonic Metal bands is Nightwish, but I doubt if I'd like them quite as much if they sung  in their native Finnish language. Anyway, "Kiitos" for this thread. Smile

I love Nightwish too! They have a couple of songs in Finnish on an album or two, but I can't recall which. That must be because they're not among their best songs.

The longest song by Nightwish is also my favourite song by Nightwish, and I'm Floored by this amazing live performance. Smile

Ghost Love Score  (New version with Floor Jansen)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 07 2020 at 07:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 08:01

The longest song by Nightwish is also my favourite song by Nightwish, and I'm Floored by this amazing live performance. Smile

Ghost Love Score  (New version with Floor Jansen)

Thanks! I just listened to the new version back to back with the older one. I love both vocalists. Floor is a bit more versatile than Tarja, but I still love both equally. And both performances are astonishing to me. The band hasn't lost a bit of energy or inspiration. Amazing band!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 08:58
I love this Symphonic Metal classic from Tarja Turunen. She may be walking alone now after leaving Nightwish, but this tremendous anthem sounds amazing!

Tarja Turunen - I Walk Alone

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 07 2020 at 09:03
 Post Reply Post Reply