Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The story of 'Shesmovedon' (the 'Deadwing' version
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The story of 'Shesmovedon' (the 'Deadwing' version

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The story of 'Shesmovedon' (the 'Deadwing' version
    Posted: November 06 2020 at 08:45
Here's a quote from a Youtube comment I stumbled upon on the topic you see:
''According to Gavin Harrison, this re-recording only happened because some DJ in America told their then label at the time (Lava/Atlantic) he would play Shesmovedon on the radio all the time if they re-recorded it w/Gavin cause it was his favorite song ever. He never did.''

Does anyone know this story and whether it is true? I have personally never heard anything about 'Shesmovedon' (the re-recorded version) by Steven but who knows.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 09:08
I don't know either, but it would be interesting to hear from somebody who knows all the details.
Xyth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 13:52
I much prefer the original version of the song.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 14:14
I've never heard that either, not saying not true. What radio station would play PT and especially that song, only song I've heard been played was Blackest Eyes.
Be cool to see if there is more to the fable. Big smile
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 23:54
I doubt this is true.

My first reason: Back then Wilson did not seem to care all that much about radio play. Don't think Wilson would've raised a finger (let alone re-record a song) for some radio DJ back then.

Second reason: Re-recording an older song seems like a waste of time and energy when there was nothing wrong with the original song in the first place.

Third reason: Why would this DJ care so much about having Harrison on drums, anyway? Harrison wasn't even that big at the time.

It just seems like a whole lot of work to go through for some unknown DJ to play your song and hope it gains momentum. PT were doing alright without the radio play anyway.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 00:04
I've heard that story long time ago, and I think it's true, or at least there's some truth behind. I also think that SW hates that version of Shesmovedon.
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnobvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 17:18
Never realized there was a difference so I guess I will listen to both now. Finding it on the DVD-A of Deadwing is not easy since it is not on any of the menus.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnobvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 17:53
Here is my uneducated take and I will probably be called upon to give up my prog card after some of you more learned types tell me what's what.

I have the 2007 LS version with the remix that includes the original stereo mix on the 2nd disk. Listened to all 3. Not much difference on the 2 LS versions from what I can tell.  Mix is a little heavy on the left and production not as full as DW. But the guitar solo is more straightforward on DW and some of Wilson's vocals get pushed too far back. Harrison's drumming is more by the book than some of Maitland's more adventurous fills.  Gotta go with LS.

Great song either way but why the guy would want it rerecorded with a lame excuse like that is hardly believable.

Edited by johnobvious - November 09 2020 at 17:55
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 19:25
Shesmovedon is about every woman I've ever met. :D
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 19:27
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I've never heard that either, not saying not true. What radio station would play PT and especially that song, only song I've heard been played was Blackest Eyes.
Be cool to see if there is more to the fable. Big smile

Yep. Same here. I heard BE when it first came out back in 02. Weird how I never heard them on the radio after that. That album didn't even chart even though it's now probably their most famous.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 09 2020 at 19:27
 Post Reply Post Reply