Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Ballad of Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ballad of Jethro Tull
    Posted: November 17 2020 at 03:20
SmileTongue Of course I did a quickie with the search button here before attempting to start this thread, but ...aye aye.....I didn't find anything :)!! So here we go.....
This is a 200 page , 200 full chock photo book on the greatest band JETHRO TULL. It's a 50 anniversary book on the band, it's well-bound and comes in a deluxe form....plush cover and cover material. I had a saucy read of the book, because that is what Ian Anderson wants ! It's hard to read the book and look at the great photos of the band down the line...I mean simultaneously .  I got both the hardback and the new paperback so that I can keep the former in my bookcase at home and take the latter with me on my work trips on the train; thee's nothing better than a good read on my fav band on a train. Every member of the band delved into the book to have a say which makes this book even more special to Tull fans. I noticed that when bands like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Genesis appear in writing, they are always followed by the article THE, which is often forgotten when orally describing these bands.
All in all, this book is a fantastic trip down memory lane with Ian Anderson and Jethro TullStarStarClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 07:54
Clap Nice.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 07:58
Now that's way better than just another Remaster release with a bunch of discarded demo's or run throughs.Thumbs Up
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 18:04
What's illustrated above is the Signature Edition, which is the only one with the previously unreleased 7" vinyl, Ian Anderson's signature and your name printed in the hard-bound book and came in fancy packaging. This was actually available for purchase in June 2019. Only 500 copies of the Signature Edition were pressed. Cost £275.00!!! Plus and extra £55.13 shipping to Australia (OUCH!). And I bought it...I had to get a mortgage to pay for it! I'm still paying it off.

Ridiculous thing is ...I haven't opened it ...it's all still sealed. Might have to buy the new paperback edition...I won't really mind being a lot more reckless with a paperback.

Reports are that the book is not as good as "they" make out. Lots of omissions e.g. Jonathan Noyce the bass player for over 12 years (1995 - 2007) doesn't even crack a mention, so I believe....I need to read it won't I?

Edited by BarryGlibb - November 17 2020 at 18:06
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 18:24
I actually got two of the signature editions, but they were less expensive in US money, I believe.  I got one for my friends that I went to so many Tull shows with for Christmas 2019 and their names are in the book section as well.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:59
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

What's illustrated above is the Signature Edition, which is the only one with the previously unreleased 7" vinyl, Ian Anderson's signature and your name printed in the hard-bound book and came in fancy packaging. This was actually available for purchase in June 2019. Only 500 copies of the Signature Edition were pressed. Cost £275.00!!! Plus and extra £55.13 shipping to Australia (OUCH!). And I bought it...I had to get a mortgage to pay for it! I'm still paying it off.

Ridiculous thing is ...I haven't opened it ...it's all still sealed. Might have to buy the new paperback edition...I won't really mind being a lot more reckless with a paperback.

Reports are that the book is not as good as "they" make out. Lots of omissions e.g. Jonathan Noyce the bass player for over 12 years (1995 - 2007) doesn't even crack a mention, so I believe....I need to read it won't I?

SWell mate, you'll have to flay it open and read it......it would be a good idea....you might change yer mYnde...good luck and let us know :))
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverstoned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 06:29
Nice indeed!

Talking JT, i hope JT fans know the 2011 remaster version of Aqualung.
For those who don't know, Aqualung has been badly mixed from the very beggining and the 2011 version is really a dramatic improvment over all the other existing versions, including the original LP...really better as the low-end is present and it doesn't sound thin and harsh as the original version; I just saw that this version exists also on vynil. So numeric-sourced vynil for instance.

Aqualung
2011 40th anniversary special edition
The 2011 version was remixed by Steven Wilson and remastered by Peter Mew.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:13
tempting, but I'll pass.
Interested in the band's history until the end of the 70's (the rest, much less), but I'd want to hear it from someone else but the (heavy) horse's mouth.

I appreciate very much the eloquent wit from the Mad Flau(n)ter, but couldn't possibly take his word for gospel, even if he has allowed others to voice their opinions - and are still alive since.

triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:34
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

tempting, but I'll pass.
Interested in the band's history until the end of the 70's (the rest, much less), but I'd want to hear it from someone else but the (heavy) horse's mouth.

I appreciate very much the eloquent wit from the Mad Flau(n)ter, but couldn't possibly take his word for gospel, even if he has allowed others to voice their opinions - and are still alive since.

You said the magic words : "he has allowed others to voice their opinions..." , but you see, THAT is what makes the BIG diff between TBOJT and other rough-neck attempts in the past and near past of JT's loooooong story :):)Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2021 at 14:09
Please remember that former and current members get paid royalties twice a year directly from Anderson and not a record company, so they have to be nice to him.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply