3 [6.98%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 04:10
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

The tenth edition of Random Album Clash comes to life!
Here are all the winners so far:
1970 - 'Lizard'
1992 - 'Hybris'
1985 - 'Misplaced Childhood'
2019 - 'Resistance'
1968 - 'A Saucerful of Secrets'
1975 - 'Fish Out of Water'
2000 - 'Lightbulb Sun'
1982 - 'Signals'
1995 - 'THRAK'

For this edition, let's take a look at 2005 - a great year for some of prog metal's (and not only) finest!
For my tastes its a toss up with Rush 'Signals' and Marillion 'Misplaced Childhood' I like them exactly the same ...I love both those albums it's going to be hard to choose. Confused
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 04:47
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

The tenth edition of Random Album Clash comes to life!
Here are all the winners so far:
1970 - 'Lizard'
1992 - 'Hybris'
1985 - 'Misplaced Childhood'
2019 - 'Resistance'
1968 - 'A Saucerful of Secrets'
1975 - 'Fish Out of Water'
2000 - 'Lightbulb Sun'
1982 - 'Signals'
1995 - 'THRAK'

For this edition, let's take a look at 2005 - a great year for some of prog metal's (and not only) finest!
For my tastes its a toss up with Rush 'Signals' and Marillion 'Misplaced Childhood' I like them exactly the same ...I love both those albums it's going to be hard to choose. Confused

I find both overrated, and I'm not really into Rush. Anyway, these already won the polls for their respective years!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 06:06
Deadwing, in my opinion PT's best album. Nice to see Gorillaz appear, and the Mars Volta album is pretty good as well. Present didn't appeal that much to me on first and second listen, but I think I should give it another chance (VDGG have this habit to take a while to sink in). There are a number that I don't know, but this won't stop me from voting. Big smile

Edited by Lewian - November 26 2020 at 06:07
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 06:33
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

There are a number that I don't know, but this won't stop me from voting. Big smile

And it shouldn't!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 07:23
My vote goes to Roine Stolt.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 08:06
Roine? I love his works but IMO Wall Street Voodoo is his #1 weakest album. btw I'm voting for Gorillaz. Amazing album. Not prog rock but gold.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 08:32
The Mars Volta - 'Frances the Mute' is leading I'm not sure they area prog band to me more alternative rock. 

Edited by Enchant X - November 26 2020 at 08:43
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 08:46

The Mars Volta - 'Frances the Mute' is leading and I don't even consider them prog ...this poll is turning into a joke. Smile

Is it a joke because you don’t consider them prog, or because you don’t like the album?

For the record, one of the votes for Frances was mine. It’s my favourite TMV album, and nothing on this poll came even remotely close to being competition for my vote.

Opeth and Riverside would probably vie for second place, and the remainder of my top five would go to SOAD. (Though I couldn’t vote for one over the other, as I consider both Hypnotize and Mesmerize to be just one album, and have never listened to them apart. (I didn’t buy either until both were released, because I knew that’s how I wanted to listen to it/them.)

If I consider the two SOAD entries in this poll as one entry, it leaves space for one other album for my top five, so I guess I might give that to Porcupine Tree.... 🤔
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 09:56
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

The Mars Volta - 'Frances the Mute' is leading and I don't even consider them prog ...this poll is turning into a joke. Smile

Is it a joke because you don’t consider them prog, or because you don’t like the album?

For the record, one of the votes for Frances was mine. It’s my favourite TMV album, and nothing on this poll came even remotely close to being competition for my vote.

Opeth and Riverside would probably vie for second place, and the remainder of my top five would go to SOAD. (Though I couldn’t vote for one over the other, as I consider both Hypnotize and Mesmerize to be just one album, and have never listened to them apart. (I didn’t buy either until both were released, because I knew that’s how I wanted to listen to it/them.)

If I consider the two SOAD entries in this poll as one entry, it leaves space for one other album for my top five, so I guess I might give that to Porcupine Tree.... 🤔

Frances the Mute is my favorite TMV album as well, and yes, there is no doubt that they are a modern prog band in every sense of the word! Still, this poll is called 'Random Album Clash' so not all entries have to be from prog, as you can see. But saying 'this is prog and this isn't' is really pointless @Enchant X, and I think we are all past this kind of conversations.

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - November 26 2020 at 09:58
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 03:10
Unsurprisingly, 'Deadwing' takes the lead with just a few days to go until we finally see which is 'the best' album of 2005!
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 08:02
Deadwing, closely followed by Octavarium and Second Life Syndrome.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 10:40
Oct-a-var-i-um😎
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 12:18
? is my favourite Neal Morse album despite all the good stuff he's put out since.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12