Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone identify this 70s rock song?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can anyone identify this 70s rock song?
    Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:58

This clip was recorded from a Chicago, IL area radio station back in the '70s (possibly WBBM or WXRT). The most widely accepted lyrics are:
"Sometimes we're part of the laughing
Sometimes we're part of the crying
We are part of it all
I keep looking for that sunset I don't know when it'll be"

Due to the poor quality of the clip, those lyrics could certainly be a little off. Any ideas or help identifying this would be greatly appreciated! The original guy who recorded this clip insists it was a full song too, and not a commercial either.

Edited by Yazman - November 26 2020 at 11:03
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 13:34
If Don McLean released a prog-pop record in 1974.   That's all I got.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 15:01
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

If Don McLean released a prog-pop record in 1974.   That's all I got.

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Yazman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 08:11
Man, if only it was as easy as it being Don McLean. We would've identified it years ago lol
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 08:59
I listened to both stations back in the day being just south of Chicago in Indiana ....XRT was only on part of the day back then...mostly night after 6 pm.
 I thought it might be a local band also but I don't recognize it ,  but it doesn't sound like a commercial.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Yazman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 11:09
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I listened to both stations back in the day being just south of Chicago in Indiana ....XRT was only on part of the day back then...mostly night after 6 pm.
 I thought it might be a local band also but I don't recognize it ,  but it doesn't sound like a commercial.

Is it the sort of thing XRT might have played?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 22:27
Originally posted by Yazman Yazman wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Is it the sort of thing XRT might have played?

Well...XRT played all kinds of rock and pop things and they have always been very eclectic. Their tag line is... 
"Everything in no particular order." You can hear John Denver then Talking Heads then Led Zep all in a row.
So hard to say back then what caught the ear of the radio jocks.
Haquin
Yazman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 12:24
Anybody else have some ideas?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2020 at 14:28
It almost sound like it might be one of the Eagles maybe?  
Yazman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 02:45
As in like one of their individual members doing a side project or something along those lines?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 08:18
Originally posted by Yazman Yazman wrote:

As in like one of their individual members doing a side project or something along those lines?
That was kind of my thought.  It isn't Don Henley or Joe Walsh, and I don't think that it is Glenn Frey solo but maybe it could be Don Felder or Timothy B. Schmitt solo.  Just a thought though.  A bit of the guitar work reminds me of guitar pieces I've heard from the Eagles.  I'm probably completely off but that was what came to mind while I was listening to it.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 10:38
Felder and Schmidt didn't release anything until the early 80's;....the song is not proggy at all to me and sounds like west coast influenced 'country tinged' rock...and there were many bands jumping on that bandwagon in the 70's. Many had one lp and that was that.
Haquin
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 11:03
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with any of The Eagles members as the vocals don't sound like any of them, not even Meisner.  But as dr wu says, it definitely sounds like the California, Laurel Canyon, sound that was popular in the 70's.  I don't recognize the singer though.

Yazman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 10:02
Yeah, I feel like if it was connected to the Eagles it would be much easier to locate.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 10:54
Hi,

I was thinking that the vocal sounded a lot like David Gates, the lead singer from BREAD ... who went on to do some solo albums and the first one is excellent, and probably should be considered progressive.

The recording is way too muddled to be able to make a good distinction, though!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Yazman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 08:13
Quite a few people have said it sounds like David Gates, but I wonder about that because wouldn't it end up being identified pretty quickly if it was him?
Yazman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 12:30
The song has been identified! It's The Livin' & The Dyin' by Jim Dawson - https://youtu.be/hHlpMeAVbCE

Edited by Yazman - January 02 2021 at 12:31
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 14:26
Congratulations.  He doesn't even have a wiki page. 

I still say it's Don McLean 
Tongue

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 14:42
Whew.....I'm glad that problem is solved....it's the great Jim Dawson.

Stern Smile
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply