Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are your top 20 Marillion songs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoliathTMV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are your top 20 Marillion songs?
    Posted: December 04 2020 at 10:26
They aren't talked about around here too often so I was wondering what your top 20 songs were! You don't have to rank them in any order, just list 20 of your favorites! What's your list?
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 11:05
Script for a Jester's Tear
He Knows You Know
Garden Party
Chelsea Monday
Forgotten Sons
The Web
Assassing
Incubus
Grendel
The Space
Bridge/Living with the Big Lie
The Great Escape
King
This Strange Engine
Cathedral Wall
Quartz
If My Heart Were a Ball It Would Roll Uphill
Ocean Cloud
Neverland
The Man from Planet Marzipan

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 14:00
Three Boats Down from the Candy
Scriptfor a Jester's Tear
Chelsea Monday
Jigsaw
She Chameleon
Incubus
Blind Curve
Warn Wet Circle Suite
Sugar Mice
Seasons End
Berlin
The Party
Living With The Big Lie
Goodbye to All That
The Great escape
This Strange Engine
Cathedral Wall 
Ocean Cloud
Gaza
This Is the 21st Century

Edited by Cristi - December 07 2020 at 12:42
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 01:17
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Three Boats Down from the Candy
Scriptfor a Jester's Tear
Chelsea Monday
Jigsaw
She Chameleon
Incubus
Blind Curve
Warn Wet Circle Suite
Sugar Mice
Seasons End
Belin
The Party
Living With The Big Lie
Goodbye to All That
The Great escape
This Strange Engine
Cathedral Wall 
Ocean Cloud
Gaza
This Is the 21st Century

Awesome list...i`m  impressed!!!!!! 

I`ll have too go away and think about this one  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 22:53
Warm Wet Circles is the best and you can argue about the rest. I don't think the band has any really poor songs. They all hit a high standard while none reach the highs of a Comfortably Numb or a Firth of Fifth.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 23:06
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Warm Wet Circles is the best and you can argue about the rest. I don't think the band has any really poor songs. They all hit a high standard while none reach the highs of a Comfortably Numb or a Firth of Fifth.

none reach the highs of Comfortably Numb or FOF? Why compare?
I can think of several Marillion songs I put high up with those famous ones. Some of them are in the list I did above. Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 10:10
Originally posted by GoliathTMV GoliathTMV wrote:

They aren't talked about around here too often so I was wondering what your top 20 songs were! You don't have to rank them in any order, just list 20 of your favorites! What's your list?

Yea sadly there are only a few of us here that really like Marillion, which is weird because they are some of the most talented musicians of the past 25yrs. Part of it, and maybe most of it, is due to their label of neo-prog, people get stuck on that too much.
They created and recorded some timeless albums like Script, Clutching, Misplaced Childhood, Seasons End, Marbles and Brave.
Their catalog is huge (Discogs says I have 20 of their albums) and I know I have duplicates that I have not cataloged.
Its tough for me to give 20 songs especially when I enjoy pretty much all of Marillion's albums, they are all well recorded and produced.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 12:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Yea sadly there are only a few of us here that really like Marillion, which is weird because they are some of the most talented musicians of the past 25yrs. Part of it, and maybe most of it, is due to their label of neo-prog, people get stuck on that too much.
They created and recorded some timeless albums like Script, Clutching, Misplaced Childhood, Seasons End, Marbles and Brave.
Their catalog is huge (Discogs says I have 20 of their albums) and I know I have duplicates that I have not cataloged.
Its tough for me to give 20 songs especially when I enjoy pretty much all of Marillion's albums, they are all well recorded and produced.

Ditto

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 13:50
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Ditto

...word...

Edited by Catcher10 - December 07 2020 at 13:51
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 14:33

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Ditto

...word...

Now that’s lol

Music Is Live

<
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:30
It's sort of difficult to make a list of 20 songs that I find above the otheres, but there are 5 that I can definitley identify: Script for a Jester's Tear, Pseudo Silk Kimono / Kayleigh, White Russian, The Space, Neverland.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 16:57
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It's sort of difficult to make a list of 20 songs that I find above the otheres, but there are 5 that I can definitley identify: Script for a Jester's Tear, Pseudo Silk Kimono / Kayleigh, White Russian, The Space, Neverland.

Clap
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 22:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

none reach the highs of Comfortably Numb or FOF? Why compare?
I can think of several Marillion songs I put high up with those famous ones. Some of them are in the list I did above. Big smile
Because all we do on this site is compare bands and compare songs. Some bands have a handful of really great songs. Some A-list bands like Genesis and Yes write truly great material mixed with a lot of ordinary lackluster material towards the end of long careers. Marillion are one of those bands write consistently good material over a very long career but don't reach the same heights as those A-list bands. Feel free to disagree. Take a song like Dry Land. Personally I love it but how would you compare it against a song like Neverland? Or a song like The Space. Or This Strange Engine? Or The Great Escape? They're all comparable yet none stands out better than the other. That's the problem I have rating the top songs of Marillion. I could name 50 but wouldn't be able to put them in any order. Genesis and Yes on the other hand are easier to rate in terms of best albums and best songs, because their best material stands out so much.  
efoman2 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efoman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 17:09
To me Marillion is two bands. When I first heard them they had just released their second album, Fugazi. I was mesmerized by the lyrics the boundless possibilities of the music, and the unique presence and vocals of Fish. I was not familiar with early Genesis at the time, but I get why some people wrote them off as being derivative, and Genesis light. Looking back now, I think Grendel was definitely influenced by Genesis, but the rest of their work, not as much. And vocally, it sounds to me that Fish was influenced more by Peter Hammill than Peter Gabriel.
As far as favorite songs from this era, there are five songs that still greatly move me: Chelsea Monday, Forgotten Sons, Incubus, Blind Curve and Warm Wet Circles. But there none that I don’t like.

Then Fish left the band and in came Hogarth. At first I was devastated. Such a unique lyricist, presence and voice...gone. Of course he did some great solo work. But the first album, Season’s End, broke my heart, like I had lost a friend. Now, as an adult I have a new appreciation for Hogarth era Marillion. Their music is still daring but not as expansive, the lyrics still great, but totally different in style. When I decided to give them a listen years later there were many albums recorded in the intervening years. So I went for the ones best reviewed on this site, basically Brave and Marbles. Then I bought a couple more. And I love it. It appeals to me more at this stage of my life than Fish era Marillion, though not nearly as much as their early music consumed me as a 20-year-old. Favorite Hogarth era songs: Easter, The Space, Season’s End, Berlin, Runaway, fantastic Place, Drilling Holes, Ocean Cloud, Neverland, Invisible Man, Man of a Thousand Faces, The Party......there is much more Hogarth material to choose from, and much I haven’t heard.
 Post Reply Post Reply