Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deep purple suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 14:14
Originally posted by Snareman Snareman wrote:

[EDIT]They are arguably the first heavy metal band [EDIT]
Ahhh, I'm sorry, ever hear of a little band called Steppenwolf? You know they had a song called "Born to be Wild". The one with the lyrics...

I like smoke and lightnin'
Heavy metal thunder
Racing in the wind
And the feeling that I'm under

Care to revise your argument?

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 14:25
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Snareman Snareman wrote:

[EDIT]They are arguably the first heavy metal band [EDIT]
Ahhh, I'm sorry, ever hear of a little band called Steppenwolf? You know they had a song called "Born to be Wild". The one with the lyrics...

I like smoke and lightnin'
Heavy metal thunder
Racing in the wind
And the feeling that I'm under

Care to revise your argument?

Deep Purple was perhaps the first hard rock band as that genre preceded heavy metal. Steppenwolf definitely had some hard rock attributes too, but fully fledged hard rock (or even heavy metal)? I think not.

Edited by earlyprog - March 01 2021 at 15:00
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 14:39
Steppenwolf were not  a metal band ....they did everythng from psychedelic to blues rock to hard rock.
And 'heavy metal thunder ' was about the sound of big Harley motorcycles.
From wiki though this is a well known tale:

" The song, which has been closely associated with motorcycles ever since, introduced to rock lyrics the signature term "heavy metal"[5] (though not about a kind of music, but about a motorcycle: "I like smoke and lightning, heavy metal thunder, racin' with the wind..."). Written by Sparrow guitarist Dennis Edmonton, who had begun using the pen name Mars Bonfire and inspired by a billboard roadside advertisement Bonfire liked which depicted a motorcycle tearing through the billboard artwork,"
--

They certainly were heavy at times but I really can't see them being responsible for metal music.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 01 2021 at 14:39
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 15:12
^exactly, and so were Iron Butterfly - heavy, that is (cf. e.g. their '68 debut 'Heavy' (!)) - but not 'heavy' as in hard or heavy rock but they ideated and conceptualized the former genre along with others including Deep Purple.

Edited by earlyprog - March 01 2021 at 15:20
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 15:22
^Well, I'll concede that Deep Purple had elements of what became the defining characteristics of heavy metal, distorted guitars, dense bass and drums, and loud vocals, but they were much more than that just like Steppenwolf. I couldn't say the same for bands like...
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Anthrax
Quite Riot etc.
...which I equate with Heavy Metal.

And BTW, I know what term refers to.

Edited by JD - March 01 2021 at 15:24
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 16:04
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^Well, I'll concede that Deep Purple had elements of what became the defining characteristics of heavy metal, distorted guitars, dense bass and drums, and loud vocals, but they were much more than that just like Steppenwolf. I couldn't say the same for bands like...
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Anthrax
Quite Riot etc.
...which I equate with Heavy Metal.

And BTW, I know what term refers to.
I agree with you....Purple was not really about prog metal or heavy metal..etc..they were always a hard rock band that had some psych touches and some heavier things at times...and did a few long songs.
I actually like Steppenwolf better regarding the early stuff...never been a DP fan...though they have had some nice tracks here and there.
In that other thread I think Iron Maiden really started the prog metal style...not KC or Rush . But I am not an expert on the 'prog metal' area.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 19:02
The Beatles had Helter Skelter...kind of a heavy metal song before heavy metal existed.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 19:25
Actually Uriah Heep were a band in 1969 and they started work on their first album(very eavy..) before DP started work on In Rock. Wink Still, I concede it's not likely they influenced Deep Purple. Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 03 2021 at 19:10
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 19:28
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The Beatles had Helter Skelter...kind of a heavy metal song before heavy metal existed.

I guess so. You could probably also say the same about Blue Cheer's cover of summertime blues. 
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 13:41
I'm suggesting Deep Purple's most recent release WHOOSH! as their most progressive in many decades.

I particularly like the fantastic work of Airey on that album. Best keyboards I have heard by any for many years.

Edited by earlyprog - March 03 2021 at 13:41
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:57
I'd totally agree with the comments by Elf regarding Made in Japan (get the edition with the 3 bonus tracks) - also try the first three (pre Gillan/Glover) albums.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 07:02
The Morse era albums are so often overlooked it's rather ridiculous. I wish those albums would get a fair chance. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:39
Sadly Led Zeppelin overlooked in the metal development stage.

But for powerful hard rock. The Who, the Hendrix Experience and the oft ignored Taste. Cream... and the guys who really developed the riff, The Kinks. Although hard rock was not their metier...

Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 09:05
You could get a taste of the variety of the band with these albums: Deep Purple (third album), Fireball, Burn, and Perpendicular. Lots of hard rock, but some occasional prog. elements thrown in too. That's a great combination, used also by Uriah Heep, etc.

The first has Rod Evans as singer, second has Ian Gillan, third has David Coverdale, and fourth has Gillan and guitarist Steve Morse.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 28 2021 at 09:07
Schecter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 12:41
The song 'Lazy'

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 07:12
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 07:21
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Kind of, but they recorded it as a response to what they said was a very noisy Who song (probably I Can See For Miles).
PaulG View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 22:15
           Deep purples Fireball release has some very Prog moments. Songs such as The Mule are very progressive. I grew up with Deep Purple and worked my way quickly from Machine Head back to Shades of and then forward through their last release at that time Come Taste the Band. I liked the Rod Evans era as much as the Ian Gillian era and had a release called Purple Passages a double lp of the first three releases I basically wore the grooves off of.
           Then of course there’s the timeless live release Made in Japan. Ritchie Blackmore’s and Jon Lord’s neoclassical jamming left me amazed. Ian Gillian also really shined on this release as his incredibly strong and natural voice sang in never before heard tandem and duet with Blackmore’s guitar runs. One of the most interesting points to live music is improv. Deep Purple did a large amount of improvising. Songs took on a whole new life. Whatever happened to bands improvising in concert?   Child In Time, The Mule, Space Truckin are all classics. This live album has never been equaled in my humble opinion.   

Edited by PaulG - February 12 2022 at 17:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12