Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to deal with difficult members on here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 14:00
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Ok i clearly missed the excitement

You spend a lot of time on PE so this kind of thing is probably not foreign to you. Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 09:38
What I want to know is what if the moderators act like trolls? Yes, that has happened on here believe me. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 09:44
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Who can forget Leonard Nimoy's Ballad of Bilbo Baggins, where everyone has pointy ears apart from Mr Spock. Smile

If he would also appear with Dwarves, he would be the only one without a beard.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 10:20
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

[QUOTE=Psychedelic Paul] Who can forget Leonard Nimoy's Ballad of Bilbo Baggins, where everyone has pointy ears apart from Mr Spock. Smile

In the same way as Frank Beard of ZZ Top is the only member without a beard. Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 11:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

What I want to know is what if the moderators act like trolls? Yes, that has happened on here believe me. 

We are all beholden to the rules. If you believe that you see abuse, please use the report post button: cite the infraction, provide context, and provide a link*. I am not receiving those reports, alternately PM the mods or admin, and as I mentioned I think often PMing the person to try to discuss it with them and alert them can help if done without anger or malice, but in a reasonable, calm way. That's a considerate approach. It maybe due to misunderstanding, it may be due to the other expressing themselves badly or having a bad day. It may not be deliberately malicious. I think "try to be considerate is something to be wished for all, and try to listen to others and talk things out rationally with them.

here are the Site Rules and Guidelines: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13083

Note that "Use the report button which appears in every post to notify the admin of any breach of the site’s rules which you notice" is in bold.

* Edit: Sorry I misspoke, if reporting a post using the report post function, I don't think one need provide a link as that does it automatically. If PMing concerns, then a hyperlink to the offending post makes things easier. And commonly it is better not to quote that post if violating the rules (may in various cases be better not to respond to it and just report it) because the post may be hidden by us, and that likely would then mean having to hide your post and response as well. We do suggest non-engagement often with the individual, and instead just report (with the button or via PM, and then we will take action immediately and/or investigate further -- sometimes intent has to be determined and considered more and one can view/ interpret something from different perspectives depending on how one views the context. For instance, sometimes jokes are misinterpreted, or sometimes someone was unclear, and sometimes someone just read into another something that was not intended. Some cases of abuse are much more obvious than others, of course). If there is a problem, then it is best to report it formally with specifics, and of course one should be careful when it comes to insinuation.

Edited by Logan - February 20 2021 at 14:44
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 17:01
^Ok, thanks. I'll keep all that in mind. Sometimes it's maybe not outright abuse but instead more like "look, what I can do and get away with because I'm a moderator and you aren't" so it's borderline abuse maybe. Calling the members on here "kiddies" would be an example. I forgot which moderator said that but it was condescending and unnecessary.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 14:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

[QUOTE=Psychedelic Paul] Who can forget Leonard Nimoy's Ballad of Bilbo Baggins, where everyone has pointy ears apart from Mr Spock. Smile

In the same way as Frank Beard of ZZ Top is the only member without a beard. Smile

Exactly Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 23:04
^Actually Frank Beard did eventually grow a beard a few years ago. It's nothing compared to his bandmates' beards but it was still technically a beard. :)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 21 2021 at 23:04
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 15:48
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I often think a lot of the misunderstandings are down to language. There are several times when I’ve seen someone react to someone else because they thought someone was being rude, when I think it was more because English was not the native language of either the original poster, and/or the one who reacted. ...

Hi,

(I had to re-read the whole thread first to make sure I was not repeating myself)

Yes, no and maybe, in the way I see it ... English is my 3rd language (Portuguese first, French 6 years in school) and it was hell to learn ... I did not know a word until the day we arrived at Kennedy Airport in NY, and then it took me 12 years to get comfortable enough to be able to do SB City College and then was lucky enough to get accepted at UCSB.

That said, what bothers me more about some things said, and "not replied to" are the posts where the person making a one word comment ... is making it pretty obvious that he/she did not even bother to read it ... which is the same thing as saying that the post could not possibly have any value and comments. Or some folks showing their idea of "_rump'isms" ... in lieu of being a valued member of the subject, or conversation.

And, yeah, I'm guilty ... one set of posts, the OP finally posted, that he did not think or imagine that what he was asking was that deep or that intense ... and sometimes, the questions are a bit on what some of us might consider naïve ... though I try to help if I can.

The worse part is people thinking that they can read the "emotions" via the email or the post and its situation ... none of us are practicing clairvoyants or psychics, and they would be the first ones to tell you that what shows up on these is but a small part of the whole thing, assuming the person that asked, had a strong conceptual idea for his question ... but social media doesn't care ... more value is given to the ugly and poor one line comments, than the substance of the discussion/matter ... and that is sad for me, on a conceptual level ... the very music we love, was created by a larger idea/concept that is very difficult for any of us to define ... and yet ... the very thing that brought that music alive, is the part that some of us trash ... to me it defines the difference between a "progressive" listener and just another "fan" out there ... sort of like some posts asking for music that sounds like ... can you imagine ... sounding like Mozart, Beethoven, Stravinsky  again? Many have tried ... and they were mostly ignored!

Language, is a set of "invisible" ideas about what a word means ... what is it, something like the eskimo language that has how many words for "snow"? I think of many posts the same way here and try to help if I can ... but I find it dis-heartening when someone dismisses it automatically, in one word ... like ... "sigh" ... and none of us thinking that this person did not even bother reading anything ... but we're at a time, when "reading" even in college and university is at its lowest ebb ... in the 80's we had to read 6-8K for a class ... in one quarter ... and you had at least one or two other classes to worry about ... and sometimes, when reading a lot of these, and I tend to be more diligent about any thread and read all of it before replying, and you can see that in the Film posts ... but doing the same thing in the "progressive" sections, would have several folks reply in an unnecessary way ... that as a "Admin" I would make note of it ... and if the person only did that to three or four other members ... I'm not sure I want to say that such a person belongs in this board!

At that point it is not about language ... it's about something else!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234