Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Ukraine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foliant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Ukraine
    Posted: December 14 2020 at 13:56
Hello everyone! My name is Igor, I am from Ukraine. I love progressive rock very much and have been using the site for a long time for informational education in the world of my favorite music. I like: Progressive metal (Threshold, Anubis Gate, Cea Serin, Cloudscape, Circus Maximus) Post rock / Post Metal (Widek, Distant Dream, April Rain, Explosions in the Sky, Human Factor, Halocraft) Neo-Prog (Mystery, Pendragon, Crystal Palace, RPWL, Arena, IQ) And I also have a question for you. Sorry for my English, used google translator. It deals with organizing and storing digital music collection. The thing is, I had a problem with music storage for a long time. It consists in the fact that I listen to a lot of musical genres, and progressive rock is one of my favorites. A fairly large collection has been gathered, a lot has not yet been listened to, many of the albums have no tags. Of course I have a Progressive Rock folder, and in it sub-genres Neo-prog, Crossover prog, post-rock, etc. But the problem is that when an album comes to me, it immediately goes to the inbox folder, where other albums in various subgenres are stored and await their turn. There is no way to immediately move to the Progressive Rock folder. It is stored on an external hard drive and there is no desire to constantly connect it. My story with music is this: 1. The new album is placed in the Inbox folder. In this folder I get acquainted with music. 2. When it is listened to and I understand that I want to save it, I move it to the Discography folder. 3. When the Discography folder is full, then I plug in an external hard drive and transfer all content to Progressive Rock. But here's the problem: at the time of transferring the contents of a folder, it can contain up to 100 albums. And now you need to manually transfer all this from one folder to another. To do this, you need to look in which subgenre the group is playing and then find it in the Progressive Rock folder (if it is there). If not, then just copy to the root. Naturally, this is a laborious process that I constantly postpone :) I was looking for a program to sync files, but I could not find a suitable one that could recognize the artist's name and put all albums in a folder, no matter where it is located. Maybe someone knows this? I tried Filejuggler, but it didn't fully satisfy my requirements. If you do not know such an application, can you please share your way of storing your music collection? What path does your new album take from the beginning of the purchase / download to the computer to the target folder?

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 19:44
I just store by artist in alphabetical then chronological order.
I have main folders of Rock, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Bootlegs.
I should add any artist with 4 titles or more get their own 'Discography' folder with the albums located inside those.

My files look like this...
VA - 2020 David Bowie in Jazz (A Jazz Tribute to David Bowie) (320)
Anekdoten - 2007 A Time of Day APE
ELP - 77-11-20 Mid South Coliseum Memphis TN (SBD) FLAC

You can add additional info to the actual track files by right clicking the file and going to 'Properties'. there you can add Tags or Genres if you like. I'm not sure how to apply that to folders though.

Edited by JD - December 15 2020 at 11:31
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 10:19
I use the following folder structure on my PC, phone, and external (backup) drive: Music\Artist\Album\Files.mp3.

I don't physically structure anything by genre. Instead, I use the "genre" tag in the MP3 files.

For an "inbox", I create a playlist (e.g. New_Purchases_20201215.m3u8) of things to listen to. Once I've grasped the nature of the music, I'll update the genre tags, and add the music to some other playlist (e.g. LightProg.m3u8, BestOf.m3u8, JamminGrooves.m3u8, etc).

The consistent file & folder structure across all devices makes it easy to locate and copy files to the right place. They never move once placed there.

Playlists are easy to create, update, and manipulate without moving files around.  In other words, move filenames (in playlists) instead of files.

BTW, my great-grandparents are from Imstychovo (Імстичово) and Irshava (Іршава) -- both in Western Ukraine not far from Uzhgorod.

Welcome to the forum!  ласкаво просимо на форум!
Foliant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foliant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 14:21
Thank you very much! I knew that there would be people here who would prompt and help figure it out :)

In fact, not everything is so simple. It's about habits. Initially, back in 2002, when I began to get involved in music, I began to store music incorrectly. Everything was scattered chaotically. Later, a grouping appeared by genre, then by genre. Files are on one disk, then on another, then on the phone, in the cloud.

But the main thing is that I have never used playlists and tags. I always open music from file manager or explorer. It launches in Aimp. And then I began to complicate my life :)

Instead of what you advise (move tracks in playlists), I did it physically. I liked the track - I create a folder "Best prog" and put a shortcut there. And then, too late, I realized that I had done so in vain. Because when you move files, the link to the shortcut is lost.

How much I had to manually search for these tracks by labels to restore the selection ...

Moreover, I created a folder with some of the best songs, created a playlist. But I believe that if I transfer the files somewhere else, then the connection in the playlist will also be lost. What to do?

You are advising everything correctly, there is no need to transfer files. But I'm so used to it :)
You need to discipline yourself and retrain yourself.

Now my task is to add tags to all the music that I have listened to (or at least listened to one artist's album). And then you need to somehow train yourself to keep everything in one place.

Thanks for the advice.
I will be happy to hear more tips. Maybe someone had a similar situation, or can you just suggest something?

P.S. My grandmother was from Western Ukraine. What a coincidence. The earth is round :)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 14:58
With today's 'External Hard Drive's' you can get a 4TB drive for around $150CDN. I still have 430GB free on mine and I've got thousands and thousands of titles. A 10TB drive is about $250CDN and you'd never need another one again. And that centralizes everything in a nice portable format.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Foliant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foliant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 08:26
My music files are only 500 GB, but there are 2 reasons why I have to split the collection into several parts: 1.the current HDD is in bad condition, I am afraid to store the entire collection there because of insecurity 2. The external HDD stores almost the entire collection, but there is not enough space to fit everything. Unfortunately I don't have $ 150 for a new HDD. But I found a way out to re-listen to the albums that I hadn't listened to before, and those that I listened to, but perhaps now they no longer bring joy. Tastes change. Therefore, the main question now is not only to organize a collection, but also to set up your system. After all, without her, I will have chaos again :) Now they add tags to all files, familiar groups, so that later it would be easier to organize. In fact, I am a perfectionist (and this is rather bad than good), if I got down to business, for tags, then you need to put tags as needed. But here's another problem: in semi-automatic mode, this cannot be done. ? Tried using mp3tag, tagscaner, MusicBrainz Picard - none of them satisfy the need. They take their data from discogs, last.fm, but they often give out progressive rock there. It's not enough for me :) I need neo-horn, post-rock, space, symphonic and others. Therefore, all I have to do is visit progarchives.com and use the search to find artists and manually add tags through MusicBee. Routine work, but I'm fine as an introvert :) Please share the ways, applications do you use in order to register tags?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 08:44
Добро пожаловать! Вы говорите по-русски или по-украински?

Ласкаво просимо! Ви говорите російською чи українською?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Foliant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foliant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 09:12
Спасибо! Рад присоединится к вашему сообществу. Мне удобнее писать по-русски! :)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 19:05
Я изучал русский язык в течение нескольких лет в колледже и прошел через россию, украину и беларусь. может быть удобнее писать по-русски, но я уверен, что большинству других понравится английский :)

I studied russian for sevearl years in college and have been through russia, ukriane and belarus. it may be more convenient to write in russian but i'm sure most others would appreciate english :)

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 10:22
.................. " angleeyskeey yazik"...................

No no, keep putting it though Google Translate, don't worry about us. ;-)

Privet, Ygor, zhizn khorosho ? I've been speaking basic Russian for 20 years. (Before Google Translate was invented for Silly Puppy to cut and paste English text into.)

Been to Moscow and Volgograd. I'm probably going to Kyiv and Kharkiv next year due to work. Welcome to the forum ! 

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 20 2020 at 10:29

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 10:49
лмао, я не говорю по-русский :( я лишь умею читать русский алфавит... очен медленно

Edited by Hrychu - December 20 2020 at 10:50
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Foliant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foliant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 13:27
I will be very happy to receive feedback. Please share your algorithm for organizing your music collection and listening to it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2020 at 16:27
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

.................. " angleeyskeey yazik"...................

No no, keep putting it though Google Translate, don't worry about us. ;-)

Privet, Ygor, zhizn khorosho ? I've been speaking basic Russian for 20 years. (Before Google Translate was invented for Silly Puppy to cut and paste English text into.)

Been to Moscow and Volgograd. I'm probably going to Kyiv and Kharkiv next year due to work. Welcome to the forum ! 

I studied Russian for six years. Don't need a translator. I did use it for Ukrainian though :)

BTW it's angleeyskeey yizeek. ya is reduced to yi when not stressed.
your gender is wrong for zhizn should be zhizn khorosha жизнь хороша

Edited by siLLy puPPy - December 20 2020 at 17:31

triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 07:30

Hi and welcome here :)
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2020 at 07:34
Quote your gender is wrong for zhizn should be zhizn khorosha жизнь хороша

In Polish it's similar. For example the word "jaźń" is feminine. ;p
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 09:59
Accent differences, Silly Puppy, in transliteration. Most Americans transliterate Russian very badly as they include their accent. 

Congratulation on speaking Russian occasionally for six years, same length of time I was married to one. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 10:06
Originally posted by Foliant Foliant wrote:

Спасибо! Рад присоединится к вашему сообществу. Мне удобнее писать по-русски! :)

Where do you live in Ukraine? I found Kyiv to be one of the most beautiful unexpected gems in all of Europe. Due to having to cut my trip short and missing out on the magnificent Moldova i have always wanted to return and explore further. Love a lot of prog and metal that has come from Ukraine!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 10:09
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Accent differences, Silly Puppy, in transliteration. Most Americans transliterate Russian very badly as they include their accent. 

Congratulation on speaking Russian occasionally for six years, same length of time I was married to one. 

That sounds like an excellent way to learn Russian! I read and write more than i speak it but it's fun to whip out some Russian for native speakers since in the US it's not very common. I've been studying on my own daily for probably 15 years with some breaks. Lately i've been adding new vocabulary on a daily basis.

The cool thing about learning Russian is that it makes it much easier to navigate all the Slavic languages which are very similar grammatically speaking. Vocabulary seems to be the major difference with languages like Ukrainian basically existing between Polish and Russian.

Post Reply Post Reply