Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Love for Beardfish???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fronobulax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Love for Beardfish???
    Posted: January 08 2021 at 17:05
Greetings from Canada. Pandemics are great eh...God

Anyway, being a musician and a bit of an audiophile, I have been spinning and learning my vinyl copy of the new Wobbler. I love these Wobbler albums, but the recordings bother me; the drums seem sort of lifeless, (but really loud in the mix) and in some passages the vocals seem a bit harsh.I have been listening to Wobbler a LOT.

Consistently however, Beardfish has come up in "random play" mode, and man these guys are the sh*t. I can't help but compare them to Wobbler because that is where my head has been. 

Super heavy, but loose and organic; never stiff or forced. These players are groove masters, but not in a showy way; totally relaxed yet heavy.

Yes, there are influences, Zappa, Gentle Giant etc, but the seamlessness of the compositions and arrangements takes the influences to a new level.

Smoking fluid guitar licks, tasty keys, crunching grooves...the more I hear them the more I think they are totally underrated. 

I also love the crunchy yet transparent recordings. Even the digital copies I have are organic and never harsh. The vocals are intelligible, and often seriously funny, but not like "Cheetos Magazine funny" ; personal, relevant, just clever and constantly amusing.

These guys are what prog should be: a melting pot of genres concocted with skill from each player, but never forced, drawing from every possible mixture of nuttiness and served up with fat riffs. (run on sentence)

This band never gets up its own ass. It's a celebration of what music can do in your head...I LOVE these guys; have to seek out the vinyl!!!

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 17:20
These guys are what prog should be

Well, they were anyway.  Let me put it this way. If you are waiting for a new album by them you'll be waiting a very, very, very long time. Anyway, I saw them live once and remember them being very good. 

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 17:33
I personally think they are a great band, and the music stands on it's own. Too bad they seem to have disbanded. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 17:39
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I personally think they are a great band, and the music stands on it's own. Too bad they seem to have disbanded. 

Yes, they disbanded about five years ago.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 21:23
I have all eight of their albums. Great band! The Sane Day through Mammoth was a great run of albums.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 00:48
Absolute incredible band imho
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 01:18
I've never been a huge fan of theirs.

Which specific album are you talking about, OP?

Which album do you recommend I listen to when I give them another try?
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 02:36
I love Beardfish, but nothing I’ve ever heard from Wobbler has floated my boat.

My favourite BF albums are Destined Solitaire and The Sane Day, and they are more or less equal on my affections. Some days I think one of them is my favourite, and other days I think the other is my favourite, but realistically they are both my favourite.

I do think they possibly made the right decision to disband, as (and I shouldn’t need to say this, but In My Opinion) the quality and inventiveness of their music seemed to dip after Mammoth. I found their final album to be their most disappointing, although totally worth it for the bonus disc. It’s one of very few albums I own where I spin the bonus disc more than the actual album.

bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 21:39
Absolutely love this group. Only discovered them a few years ago (fairly typical of me to find new groups after they've split up), but I love everything they do. 
Their last release in 2015, Comfortzone, is actually my favorite, but i also enjoy a lot of Rickards Gungfly stuff as well. Rickard is seriously talented :) 
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 02:41
Beardfish is one of my favorite modern prog groups. I'm listening to the vinyl of Comfortzone right now, a really great record. I loved Mammoth as well and I will continue digging my way backwards into their discography this year. I love how they can combine influences of Gentle Giant and Blue Oyster Cult :).
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 03:19
they are a general pass for me 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 06:15
Gentle Giant + "retro" hard rock. Good if you listen to only one LP - my pick would be 2012's The Void with excellent "Note" on it. When you start listening their whole discography, it's pretty obvious they're just recording and releasing basically the same album every year
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 09:06
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Gentle Giant + "retro" hard rock. Good if you listen to only one LP - my pick would be 2012's The Void with excellent "Note" on it. When you start listening their whole discography, it's pretty obvious they're just recording and releasing basically the same album every year

Oh you mean like Ozric Tentacles? Oh well. With Beardfish at least you obviously don't have to worry about that anymore.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 14:28
I like them but the Zappa-aping got old. I think I prefer Gungfly...
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply