Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What not prog band would've made the best prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What not prog band would've made the best prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 13:40
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Definitely Big Country...a brilliant band...some of their longer songs and especially the 12" singles were very prog leaning. BC comprised four extra-special musicians.

I've got a bunch of Big Country albums sitting right next to me! GREAT band!

I agree!  Big Country's guitarists made liberal use of the e-Bow sustainer technology, also used by Adrian Belew and Bob Fripp at various times.   That is how they generated their famous "bagpipe" guitar sounds!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Jamesluvsprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesluvsprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2023 at 16:02
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Off the top of my head...

I think Billy Joel could have pulled off a prog album. David Bowie could have pulled off one too.

ELO started off in mix of prog and pop. If they had gone in the prog direction, I think they could have pulled off a decent album or two. 

Scott Walker would also be high on my list too if he had started with the avant-garde stuff right after Scott 4.

David Bowie actually did make a nearly-prog album, it's called "Outside" (1995). And then there's "Incide", the unreleased companion to Outside which is even closer to full-blown prog.

Edited by Jamesluvsprog - July 26 2023 at 16:02
Fercandio46 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fercandio46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 03:42
Coming out of the progressive world, what seems most novel to me is Marc Ribot & Ceramic Dog, and the paradox of Marc's "young 69 years". Also Saint Vincent, Annie Clarke's group, and Jack White soloist, who anyway on his records there is a fusion of styles that makes them similar to progressive, because Jack always surprises with an unexpected compositional turn, a chord that stands out and stands out!
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 09:09
Originally posted by Fercandio46 Fercandio46 wrote:

Marc Ribot & Ceramic Dog

This is good. Not that far from some RIO/avant stuff maybe? 
Fercandio46 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fercandio46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 11:24
Of course... the entire scene in downtown New York is difficult to classify, he was born with John Zorn, as well as Tom Waits, but with this project, which already has several albums and tackles avant garde terrain that would make him related to RIO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678