Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8 Days A Week

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is the best day to listen to Prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [5.88%]
6 [35.29%]
3 [17.65%]
4 [23.53%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8 Days A Week
    Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:31
For this themed poll I have selected 7 songs named after the days of the week.  You've likely heard of a few of the artists and might even know or remember a couple of the songs, but the hope is that I will make your day by helping you discover something new.  

I can seem to embed the first one, so here is a link to the video.  Sunday Image - YouTube

Edited by rushfan4 - May 15 2021 at 21:32
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:41
I feel more than a weekday theme running through the tracks (there's a certain musical cohesiveness there, but then I am a pattern seeking animal as are we all).

Sparkle In Grey - Thursday Evening (Post Rock) for me.

I will mention the first weekday song that would come to my mind (I'm not as up on the modern stuff as I should be). Hope you don't mind me mentioning it:

Perry Leopold - "Sunday Afternoon in the Garden of Delight"

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:47
this one imma need a listenin to 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 18:30
Well, putting aside my bias for Tori Amos (not too familiar that track anyway) I really liked Saturday the best--sounds kind of avant-Folkish.  Friday pretty good too.
Z
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 23:09
The Gift
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 23:37
Enchant - Monday (Heavy Prog)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 01:47
Enchant - Monday
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 05:49
Enchant. I really enjoy this song.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 06:03
Hmm - interesting that the last 3 people have said "Enchant" but it only has 2 votes (at time of writing).
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 07:22
Jack o' the Clock (Folk?????)
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 07:25
love Tori!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 08:29
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

I find that somewhat odd too, but they are listed as Prog Folk here on PA, so that is the label I assigned.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 08:33
Enchant.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 12:44
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Hmm - interesting that the last 3 people have said "Enchant" but it only has 2 votes (at time of writing).

I have commented then neglected to vote in the poll itself, but maybe that's because when I make polls I value the comments more than the actual poll results. Write-in votes can matter. People are forgetful, get distracted, other things come up, and people can be apathetic.

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I find that somewhat odd too, but they are listed as Prog Folk here on PA, so that is the label I assigned.  

If you read the bio for the band, it gets into that, as well as the Suggestion thread. I might have put it in Eclectic Prog methinks based on memory of material I had checked out before (a folk vein I do think runs through the albums so I have no problem with it), but sometimes things are added to a category even if not ideal to avoid ping-ponging and just to get them in. Moves can be formally suggested later if people really care.

here is the suggestion thread and discussion: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92510

With Jack O' Clock, I think it depends on the music (song/ album). Like with many artists, they can touch on and take influence from a variety of styles.

This is taken from the PA bio for the band:

"A band that is hard to characterize, they have found a home in prog folk because of their inherently folk instrumentation and timbre, their profound take on storytelling, and, well, the tendency for folkies to be an inclusive lot anyway."

I love that final phrase. :D

By the way, rateyourmusic classifies the band as Progressive Folk, Chamber Folk, Avant-Prog, Free Folk

The song in the poll does make me think of certain RIO/Avant Prog music particularly like various Henry Cow related stuff, but my memory is not that great when it comes to other music. It's one I have checked out but don't know that well.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 13:47
Well, Jethro Tull are the best known prog folk band, and they won a Grammy for best metal artist so there is that....
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 15:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If you read the bio for the band, it gets into that, as well as the Suggestion thread. I might have put it in Eclectic Prog methinks based on memory of material I had checked out before (a folk vein I do think runs through the albums so I have no problem with it), but sometimes things are added to a category even if not ideal to avoid ping-ponging and just to get them in. Moves can be formally suggested later if people really care.

here is the suggestion thread and discussion: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92510

With Jack O' Clock, I think it depends on the music (song/ album). Like with many artists, they can touch on and take influence from a variety of styles.

"A band that is hard to characterize, they have found a home in prog folk because of their inherently folk instrumentation and timbre, their profound take on storytelling, and, well, the tendency for folkies to be an inclusive lot anyway."

By the way, rateyourmusic classifies the band as Progressive Folk, Chamber Folk, Avant-Prog, Free Folk

The song in the poll does make me think of certain RIO/Avant Prog music particularly like various Henry Cow related stuff, but my memory is not that great when it comes to other music. It's one I have checked out but don't know that well.

Well they sound like Prog-Folk to me (in an Avant sort of way, much like Pierrot Lunaire).
Z
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 16:00
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Well they sound like Prog-Folk to me (in an Avant sort of way, much like Pierrot Lunaire).

I love Pierrot Lunaire, I should have thought of that comparison. With Pierrot Lunaire I consider the first to be be more Prog-Folk (with Avant Prog stylings) and the second one, Gudrun, to be Avant Prog.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 07:41
Enchant
 Post Reply Post Reply