Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fish's reaction on Brexit effect upon UK musicians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish's reaction on Brexit effect upon UK musicians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish's reaction on Brexit effect upon UK musicians
    Posted: January 25 2021 at 22:18
Fish released this rather long but interesting complaint on the effects of Brexit regulations upon UK musicians touring the European Union. If what he says is completely based on legal facts, there is much to worry about.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157827728953587&id=54830663586

Edited by judahbenkenobi - January 25 2021 at 22:20
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 00:23
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

Fish released this rather long but interesting complaint on the effects of Brexit regulations upon UK musicians touring the European Union. If what he says is completely based on legal facts, there is much to worry about.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157827728953587&id=54830663586

Yes, this issue has generated quite a lot of publicity in the UK, with very well known artists such as McCartney lobbying the government.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 03:26
Fish says, "It appears that the only sector benefiting from these new regulations are accountants and advisors".  Add to that the tax evaders who were the most interested, financially and otherwise, in seeing a Brexit deal through. 

This was foretold long before.  Fripp had put out a statement about the envisaged adverse impact of Brexit on artists two years back.  What must be questioned is the judgment of enthusiastic Brexiteer musicians like Daltrey and Bruce Dickinson.  I believe Daltrey has already begun to groan now that he realizes what it will entail.  Maybe Mr Bruce and the rest of Iron Maiden have an amazing market for concerts in America and therefore don't need to tour to EU very much at all.  But I am sure that's not true for the vast majority of musicians in the UK.  You can always fantasize about being a trading powerhouse doing business with the world at large but your immediate geography will inevitably be a large part of your export-import. Perhaps those who grumbled about having to compete with imports did not realize that the ability to thwart those imports from coming in is not granted without also impacting exports.
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dorsalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 03:03
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Fish says, "It appears that the only sector benefiting from these new regulations are accountants and advisors".  Add to that the tax evaders who were the most interested, financially and otherwise, in seeing a Brexit deal through. 

This was foretold long before.  Fripp had put out a statement about the envisaged adverse impact of Brexit on artists two years back.  What must be questioned is the judgment of enthusiastic Brexiteer musicians like Daltrey and Bruce Dickinson.  I believe Daltrey has already begun to groan now that he realizes what it will entail.  Maybe Mr Bruce and the rest of Iron Maiden have an amazing market for concerts in America and therefore don't need to tour to EU very much at all.  But I am sure that's not true for the vast majority of musicians in the UK.  You can always fantasize about being a trading powerhouse doing business with the world at large but your immediate geography will inevitably be a large part of your export-import. Perhaps those who grumbled about having to compete with imports did not realize that the ability to thwart those imports from coming in is not granted without also impacting exports.

Well, it's easy when you're a millionaire and have a big team working for you. Neither Bruce nor Roger will ever have to stain their hands with any ink dealing with the paperwork, or dig into their own pockets to cover added expenses.

Unfortunately, most prog bands have a slightly smaller budget and have to do all the paperwork themselves. As I live in Germany, I am very worried that (if touring ever gets back to "normal") I'll be seeing many of my favourite UK-based bands less and less.

This is a very big deal for a sector that's already suffered the massive blow of COVID. If only the UK government attached any value to culture...

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 03:44
Doris's government seem more interesting in our fishing industry than they do in the arts, which brings in considerably more money.
I've also read articles about the additional costs of shipping LPs out of Europe which is making it prohibitively expensive.
Do we have an Arts/Culture Minister - if so he needs to get on the case!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 05:27
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Hi,

I've said all along that this was a thing devised by the richest people in the country to control all the money markets in every way they could. The whole EU thing was a great thing for everyone, except those rich folks that did not get any money from it now they claim it in taxes, fees and whatever else ... and in the end, I think that it will hurt the economy in that country, but what do these rich folks care? You really thing that Mick and Keith are going to give a damn? Or Paul?

I like the suggestion for any band in England that wants to make it ... GET A SUITCASE AND GET OUT! England needs to lose a lot of its artists and folks, and realize that their future is compromised ... but I seriously doubt that folks in the House of Rich Farts, give a damn ... they made sure they can collect even more money from the very people they are taxing senseless ... as an excuse for not being a part of the EU. 

In the end, I think that people in England got duped, and sooner or later that whole thing needs to fall apart ... not only is it a serious downfall for many artists, it is also a serious issue for the independent seller and marketer, that now sees his totals cut down even more ... another example of the rich get richer and the poor ... get ... (I'll be nice!) ... children! 

And the media, of course owned by the same rich folks, shows wonderful pictures of the Royals spending the very money they are stealing from the rest of the country ... like you have to be totally stupid to not know who owns the media in that country ... it has never been "democratic" and it has been insidious and has hid more murders and stolen property than most ... but the public still votes for those rich folks?

I would rather believe that the whole voting thing was a sham in the first place ... and that the reality is that there are not more rich folks in England than the middle class or lower classes combined ... something does not add up, other than, again, the controls of the rich keeping the poor as poor as possible and prevent them from getting rich and take away a precious spot in the House of Rich Farts!

I'm so sorry Fish and all the bands ... but you owe it to yourself to LEAVE ... and see if France or Spain, are not willing to help a bit more and then you can do shows in Europe and NOT GO TO ENGLAND ... where, for all intents and purposes YOU ARE NOT WANTED ... after all, Mr. Fish, you are an independent and those in charge do not want you succeeding!

Just say goodbye to England ... and if you think the music business is in bad shape, the film industry figures to get hurt even more ... !!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 18:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Doris's government seem more interesting in our fishing industry than they do in the arts, which brings in considerably more money.
I've also read articles about the additional costs of shipping LPs out of Europe which is making it prohibitively expensive.
Do we have an Arts/Culture Minister - if so he needs to get on the case!

And he's screwed over fisheries exports, regardless.  JRM claiming fish in British waters would not mind not being exported as they are proud to be British. LOL WUT.
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMSM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 09:21
Unless this is something he or any artist would apply to a piece of music, then who cares as there are enough celebrities statiing their opinions that would not be listened to if not because of their celeberity status - same goes with University Professors, forgetting the fact so many of them are educated well above their actual intelligence
 Post Reply Post Reply