Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LOUDER: The 12 greatest prog drummers ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 07:29
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

But Bruford is there, isn't he?
I beg forgiveness.  I went back and checked, Bruford is listed.

funny and strange thing, three people at least did not see Bruford in the list. LOL
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 08:24
Am I the only one who thinks Barriemore Barlow is criminally underrated?

His drumming on Thick As A Brick alone makes him a Top 5 drummer all-time in my book.
The Prog Corner
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 08:34
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks Barriemore Barlow is criminally underrated?

His drumming on Thick As A Brick alone makes him a Top 5 drummer all-time in my book.
Yeah, a couple of us mentioned that on pages 1 and 2 of this thread.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 08:39
I'll throw in a few names that were not mentioned yet:

Trevor Tomkins:

Jacky Bouladoux:

Wolfgang Lindner:

Jim Capaldi:

Fritz Randow:

Mark Fletcher:

Aynsley Dunbar:

Freddy Setz:

Edited by BaldJean - February 11 2021 at 07:54

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 09:59
^Aynsley is fantastic.

Hell, I'm throwing Cozy Powell into the mix. I love nearly everything he played on, and I dig his solo albums.  His intro to "Stargazer" is legendary!

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 10:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Too many great drummers to fit on a 12 man list. Alan White at his best (Relayer through to Drama) was an insanely good drummer as was Brian Davison of The Nice. Keith Moon could play anything he wanted to when he was anywhere near sober. Jon Hiseman (as mentioned) was a fantastic drummer. Jurgen Rosenthal (Eloy) deserves a mention as does Stewart Copeland for his very brief time in Curved Air. 

After Curved Air, too. I'll listen to Stew drum with pencils on a desk.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 10:29
Here are some of my favourites, any genre:

Ringo Starr (The Beatles). No virtuoso, but his feeling is unique and fits the band's sound perfectly. He puts a lot of emotion into his drumming.

Topper Headon (The Clash). I don't know why he is so rarely mentioned, because his drumming is really impressive, and often very original. Just listen to "Look Here" from Sandinista!

Alex Riel (various). See the previously posted drum solo.

Keith Moon (The Who). Attacked the drums like a maniac, but there was also a lot of poetry to his playing, as well as a lot of humour.

Stewart Copland (The Police). Originality is the key word here too. Also very poetic in his fills.

Maureen Tucker (The Velvet Underground). Doesn't sound like anything else, especially as she played in a very unconventional way, f.e. with clubs instead of sticks, while standing up rather than sitting. It clearly contributed to the hypnotic feel of the band.

Benny Benjamin (The Funk Brothers). A key element in the classic Motown sound. Like a machine basically.

Jaki Liebezeit (Can). For his amazing beats. Probably a big influence of:

Phil Selway (Radiohead). Key tracks for me: "Paranoid Android", "Optimistic".
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 04:56
No mention of BJ Wilson or John Weathers either. Both hugely unique in their styles and approaches.
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 02:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

A rather traditional list of prog drummers by LouderSound, hence why Portnoy and Mangini are listed. Super pleased to see Minnemann listed. As well Gavin is being noticed more and more, which is nice too...Gavin is so insanely musical its cra-cra.

Ditto
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:01
So many great drummers mentioned in this thread! 

The guy I was most impressed with in a live concert performance was Steve Gadd--though nobody compares to Zakir Hussain (but, is he considered a "drummer" or just "tabla player"). Trilok Gurtu was pretty amazing, too.

Two guys that blow my ears off each time I hear them are Vinnie Colaiuta and Area's Giulio Capiozzo.

Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Jean Krupa, and Phillie Joe Jones weren't bad, either.

Stylistically, David Sylvian's brother, Steve Jansen, has always been a favorite. (I love his use of space.) Also, Harmonium's drummer...

Edited by BrufordFreak - February 12 2021 at 06:02
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 08:01
What really impressed me once was Christian Vander pulling off a 45 minutes drum solo at a Magma concert that was not boring for a second.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 10:06
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

The guy I was most impressed with in a live concert performance was Steve Gadd--though nobody compares to Zakir Hussain (but, is he considered a "drummer" or just "tabla player"). Trilok Gurtu was pretty amazing, too.

Two guys that blow my ears off each time I hear them are Vinnie Colaiuta and Area's Giulio Capiozzo.

Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Jean Krupa, and Phillie Joe Jones weren't bad, either.

Stylistically, David Sylvian's brother, Steve Jansen, has always been a favorite. (I love his use of space.) Also, Harmonium's drummer...

Art Blakey is a beast!! I love when he goes into a semi-solo/long fill section and you hear him verbalizing humming along.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 10:44
^Rod Morgenstein (The Dregs) hums when playing. I think you can hear it on "What If". Buddy Rich hummed along, also.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 12:26
^ I was at one of Rod's drum clinics & he talked about that. I think he said they duct taped his mouth at one point during recording! ( That may have been with Winger) 

Edited by Argo2112 - February 18 2021 at 12:26
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 06:01
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Art Blakey is a beast!! I love when he goes into a semi-solo/long fill section and you hear him verbalizing humming along.

YES! for some reason I, too, love it when instrumentalists start vocalising while soloing--must be the influence of my early exposure to Ella Fitzgerald, ZZ Top, George Benson, and Alfred Brendel! 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123