Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you become a proghead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:02
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

It all started with hearing my brother's 'Tull records as a young nymph in high school. Then he took me to their 'Passion Play concert in '73. Then my friend across the street turned me onto PFM's Chocolate Kings and Genesis' 'Trick' around the time of their release. From then on, it was all downhill.

a nymph? nymphs are female; the male equivalent is a satyr

Edited by BaldJean - February 13 2021 at 11:08

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:06
I always was for rock / hard rock and guitars. My earliest tastes were Creedence CR, Led Zeppelin.. (only IV at that time) from my dad; around 5th grade (1989, age: 10), it was Guns 'n Roses with school mates. I also had a cassette by Bon Jovi and another one by Europe by then, he. Poison too, recorded from the radio. Deep Purple we used to hear at the car's stereo with my dad. Some Beatles of course with my dad on vacation trips.

I think I have some natural affinity to music though; thankfully, for instance, I've always have had good hearing and intonation too, so I think it was 'natural' to delve further in music complexity. Also comes to confirm this my interest in the guitar since I was around 11 years old.

The rest is a matter of taste maybe.. I've always liked 'retro' and sci-fi things (not for being 'retro' obviously but is what I truly like).

I discovered prog a bit by myself. I'm the oldest of my brothers so it couldn't have coming that way. Neither by radio, tv, friends or school mates at that pre-internet, pre-cd era. One summer we heard 'Wish You Were Here' song, among others, all along with a group of friends. Then back home we passed outside a record store at the local mall and I asked my dad for 2 bucks to buy the cassette (something I rarely did, but this one deserved it.. ; ) ). Needless to say, at first I didn't like or understand the rest of the album, and always was rewinding side 2 to hear Have a Cigar and WYWH. But then 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part VI' started slowly creeping in each time... : )

The next original cassette that went round and round at the car's stereo on mornings on the road to school was JT's Thick As A Brick, that a friend lent me from his older brother.

From there it was all exchange with class mates, and they in turn with their older brothers. That way came Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Rush and Marillion. It was already the CD era. Jimi Hendrix too.

Later, already at university in the late 90's, came Zappa, PFM, Maxophone, Gong, Mahavishnu Orchestra through friends, and I had a glimpse of the less known stuff: Caravan, Renaissance and the like. Gentle Giant. Return to Forever (RIP Chick Cry) I knew from the last years of school and somehow rediscovered it later, along with Weather Report.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:07
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

It all started with hearing my brother's 'Tull records as a young nymph in high school. Then he took me to their 'Passion Play concert in '73. Then my friend across the street turned me onto PFM's Chocolate Kings and Genesis' 'Trick' around the time of their release. From then on, it was all downhill.

Perhaps like Hermaphroditus he was more than what he seemed to be. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:12
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/greekmythology/images/4/46/Hermaphroditus02.jpg

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:24
It was a great time to be a young teenager with Woodstock, the Lunar landings and the Beatles (among others) but the biggest aspect looking back was the OPENESS of the rock scene, where young people where looking at the whole gamut of offerings there out in the market. Great example: there was this record store in Montreal called L'Alternatif (the title says it all) where there was a huge aquarium, staff that where always smiling (Wink) and the offer of listening booths. I remember vividly picking up Wishbone Ash, Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Oldfield, Traffic and Robin Trower albums , all in one swoop. There was no labelling or allegiance to just one style , like later decades. All were open to discovery of classical, jazz, rock, R'n B, funk, electronic ,etc... everything flew. Even some pop! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 12:18

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/greekmythology/images/4/46/Hermaphroditus02.jpg

Gender identity of course has been a much debated issue. Let's not forget about gender fluidity and non-binary gender designations (beyond being a hermaphrodite). There's a wide spectrum of identity and I don't like to stereotype. I have a friend who identifies as "They" and doesn't like being put in the male or female box, and of course many transition and have gender dysphoria.

Not seriously speaking, I wonder how many with satyriasis half-identify with the furry community (a half fursona one might say)? Me, I'm all minotaur, or is that a crock of bull? Progheads, bullheads, it's all the same to me (I say as a means to segue back to the initial discussion).

Edited by Logan - February 13 2021 at 12:18
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 12:37
^
"Not that there's anything wrong with that."
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 20:56
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Here's a question that should spawn a variety of different answers. How did you, fellow forum users, become progheads? What was the reason for you to dive into this not-so-obvious ocean of music and what made you stay? Did you discover prog by yourself or did you inherit this good taste from someone?
I'm curious to see what stories there are.

I just like music.

Rob (aka Skeletor!) good to see u here Bro.....Working on any new music??

Always a pleasure to see you!

I am always working on music, even if I don't have an instrument in front of me!

I can tell you the next Epignosis album has been titled The Way Things Were.  It's looking to be about twelve songs or so.

I hope you are doing well and even thriving in these times.
All good my friend....Keep me posted on when The Way Things Were drops so I can buy it.

Cheers Brother...!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 21:29
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Here's a question that should spawn a variety of different answers. How did you, fellow forum users, become progheads? What was the reason for you to dive into this not-so-obvious ocean of music and what made you stay? Did you discover prog by yourself or did you inherit this good taste from someone?
I'm curious to see what stories there are.

Certainly not an inheritance.  Maybe prodded in that direction by some friends as I was getting into rock. 

It so happened that through my prior background in Indian music, I made some not so obvious connections to prog.  Connections that only people like me who listened to the same composer and also got into prog seem to be aware of.

Listen to the intro of this track and you can hear at least some resemblance to something Genesis would have done circa SEBTP (particularly some sections of Cinema Show).

So...when I heard Firth of the Fifth for the first time, it felt like coming home to me.  I didn't know before then that there was a whole style of rock that borrowed classical sounding licks and appropriated them in rock. I was delighted because as much as I like straight up rock, the variety and unpredictability of prog along with it being strongly rooted in a conventionally melodic foundation (speaking only of symph prog here) evoked for me the music I had been listening to all through my formative years. 

It was bands like KC or Gentle Giant that took more effort on my part to crack.  Likewise the first exposure to old Metallica was a shock to me, but an exciting shock. That was the kind of music I had to adjust to.  But Genesis/pre-TFTO Yes was like listening to the music I had always loved but in a different language - English. It's also why I found stuff like Canterbury easier to get into than prog metal.  Prog metal required adjusting to the sonic palate (and also shutting out the biased thinking of 'true' metalheads according to which any innovation is 'selling out'), but the classic, melodic 70s prog was so comfortable to get into for me and yet also fresh and different in many ways.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 00:42
These happened around the same time 91-93 when I was in my early teens:

-The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on TV. Not prog per se but close enough for me.
-A close relative moving near by. He had some Pink Floyd, Genesis, Deep Purple, etc. records I could listen to and borrow. 
-Realizing that the local library had a collection records and that you could borrow them. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 01:00
I'd take exception to being called a Proghead in the same way I'm able to enjoy broccoli but ain't a vegetarian. At secondary school I was the only person who liked ELP, the Clash, Duke Ellington, Bartok and Black Sabbath in equal measure but didn't have the hairstyle or uniform to match. For me, this is maybe closer to what the original 'Punk' ethos was supposed to be about i.e. the primacy of the individual over communal values. It certainly makes for a solitary path and I still find the myopic tribalism of Prog, Punk, Jazz, Classical and Metal engineered by marketing tiresome and pitiful in the extreme. I've also never needed drugs to open my mind to anything. I think Timothy Leary was a bit of a dick.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 14:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The beginning of my interest in music in 1970 (aged 10/11) coincided with the emergence of prog, so it was the perfect match. Thumbs Up

Not unusual for 1959 births. Many bands of the period had something progressive in their music, so time was on our side. I remember I found a single by Ekseption: Feelings with Italian Concerto as the B-side. I liked side A and fell in love with side B. The next sign was in March 1971 or so, when A Girl Named You by Supersister entered the charts.
In June 1972 I heard Pink Floyd for the first time (Relics) and this marked my final conversion to prog.

Edited by someone_else - February 15 2021 at 14:29
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 09:02
My older brother went away to University and on Christmas break came back with a cassette tape that had Fragile on one side and Tarkus on the other...

It was a wrap.
The Prog Corner
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 08:29
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I'd take exception to being called a Proghead in the same way I'm able to enjoy broccoli but ain't a vegetarian. At secondary school I was the only person who liked ELP, the Clash, Duke Ellington, Bartok and Black Sabbath in equal measure but didn't have the hairstyle or uniform to match. For me, this is maybe closer to what the original 'Punk' ethos was supposed to be about i.e. the primacy of the individual over communal values. It certainly makes for a solitary path and I still find the myopic tribalism of Prog, Punk, Jazz, Classical and Metal engineered by marketing tiresome and pitiful in the extreme. I've also never needed drugs to open my mind to anything. I think Timothy Leary was a bit of a dick.
I always enjoy your posts Iain. They are much missed lately.

Edited by SteveG - February 18 2021 at 08:31
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 13:05
Listens to As I Am by Dream Theater once. 
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 20:47
I just like listening to good music. If it comes from Prog that's what I listen to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234