Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog on tv (or more accurately the lack thereof)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog on tv (or more accurately the lack thereof)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2021 at 16:31
I was going to mention Whispering Bob Harris & The Old Grey Whistle Test, until I noticed the show's been mentioned here several times already. The premise of the show's title was that if an old man in a grey suit could whistle along to a song featured on the show, then it must be a good tune as it's deemed to have passed the whistle test. There was also a documentary series titled Prog-Rock Britannia, subtitled Prog at the BBC, which gave me an idea for a blog and channel title. Smile

Prog-Rock Britannia - Prog at the BBC:- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA911C12EC45DCF4A

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 15 2021 at 16:37
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2021 at 16:43
From last week's Young Sheldon episode.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 07:45
Yes played the David Letterman show in support of Talk. The first time I saw Yes as a six piece and was like: "Who's that other guitar player?" It was Billy Sherwood.

Apparently, Letterman had heard "The Calling" on the radio and thought it was a new band and told a producer to book that band right away!!!

King Crimson appears on the ABC late night show, Fridays, right after Discipline was released.

SNL has never had a Prog band play.
The Prog Corner
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2022 at 08:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Just so there's no confusion the initial purpose of this blog was to talk about live performances on tv not the occasional dumb thing like a dunkin donuts commercial which features an animated alien wearing a King Crimson t shirt. 

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I realize there are a lot of music genres out there who aren't represented on late night tv but as a prog fan it just seems like being how many of them are out there at least one full blown modern band would show up on tv? However, not even Porcupine Tree, Haken,Opeth, or the Mars Volta have popped up on any of these shows. Not even Tool or Radiohead for that matter. 

Not exactly true about Radiohead. I've seen them live on TV couple times. I have to admit I am NOT a late night TV guy. When I hear that someone who interests me will appear on late night TV, I dvr it or in previous decades taped.
Radiohead appeared couple times on Late Show with David Letterman, once playing Karma Police, second time 2+2=5. Probably around 2003? Also they appeared on Tonight show with Jay Leno in late 90s.

There is plenty of prog-rock on AXS cable channel, but not live performances. I've seen different band documentaries (Kansas, Genesis, Rush), concerts (ELP, Rush, Black Sabbath, Yes). They also have few TV series ("Classic Albums", "Rock Legends", "The Big Interview with Dan Rather") that covered prog-rock bands, prog-rock albums.

It seems that Scott Pelley, TV anchor from CBS is a prog-rock fan (or maybe one of his producers?). 
He was a host of CBS Evening News (channel 2, 6:30 PM here in NYC) between 2011-17. On the day of Keith's Emerson death (R.I.P.), Scott Pelley paid tribute to him, short segment with pictures, video clips and commentary. When Yes' induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was announced (Dec 20, 2016), he also had short segment about it.

enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2022 at 09:00
Just now one more example of prog live appearance on TV popped up in my head: Coheed and Cambria on Conan O'Brien show around 2013.

Edited by enigmatic - February 20 2022 at 09:00
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2022 at 09:13
An issue with Prog on talk shows as well as on something like Saturday Night Live is that there might not be time for a 20 minute song. ;)

I have seen Canadian band Rush various times on Canadian TV.

Bjork I don't think of as Prog but she is in PA and I did see a couple of Saturday Night Live performances of hers on video yesterday (came up in suggestions as as I was watching a video of Portishead playing SNL just before that). I think they had so much good (good per my tastes) indie and alternative music on those shows in the 90s and up. I looked up that performance on youtube (I had seen it on vimeo) and this came up instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaDiVx4SG6k

Edited by Logan - February 20 2022 at 09:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12