Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free prog vsti recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 13:14
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

So how were those two posts connected ?

The specific ambient temperature of a venue has no effect on oscillator drift, so long as it's kept constant. Which is why they contain tempco resistors as adjusters. 

And "the next round of digital synths" sounded pretty much like their analogue forbears. If you were, say, Helen Keller. 

Hi,

Sad that you are not a reader, just a musician. TD's book by Edgar, is almost way too technical, explaining a lot of things, including the use and maintenance of the old echo chambers. 

As a modern man and musician, that stuff wouldn't interest you, I don't think! But the history of it all is still there, and while you are using the mechanical side of things, I'm not sure that you have heard, or felt, the changes that these parts and pieces went through to create music. I think you are comparing it all in your mind to what you already know from the particular pieces, and ignoring the mature of the material ... the actual "music" that came from the machine. And the hands that made it work!

I can see why no VST would mean anything to you, I think!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2021 at 03:54
Not a reader ?

I've got an Honours Degree in English Language and Literature. The house is full of books. It's like a library in here. I am absolutely 100% aware of the history of Tangerine Dream and I am also 100% aware of the technology they used, down to circuit diagrams. 

I also build my own synthesizers from components, if you remember. 

Modern man ? I'm 56, Pedro. And I've already said "Yes, there is a compositional use for VSTs but they don't compare to the real instrument." And the synths I build are based on 70's designs and technologies. I think you can absolutely safely class me as an authority on the matter. 

Do me the great favour of ignoring me and I'll happily reciprocate. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Other than that you've "read a book". 

Edited by Davesax1965 - October 21 2021 at 04:09

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2021 at 07:20
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Not a reader ?
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Other than that you've "read a book". 

HI,

Our house in SB had over 40K books of Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian Literature. And I was one of the folks that said that Castaneda's joke was not possible or true, unless a whole society was so destitute ... but then, a book would not show up in that area I don't think. In fact, dad is published in at least 36 languages, so if you think that it means nothing, wake up, please. BTW, you can go to Lisbon and see the majority of the library on one of those places that honor their artists and other dignitaries!

The suggestion about "read a book" is sad, and bad ... everything in it must be trash, or sheep dip!

I am not totally happy when you reply like that, since it implies that you are a musician because you play music, or a composer because you did a couple of things, and honestly, I'm quite OK with that, but I think my attitude, even if naïve compared to yours, is much more positive than yours about the music ... you can not be telling me that you can "feel" the material in the old days ... because the technical side of you building these things takes away that feel, into a mechanical, and somewhat intellectual side of creating music ... my point was, and is, that DURING THAT TIME, some folks, of which TD was major, were learning to create NEW SOUNDS, and USING THEM in a form that was "classical" and could be considered music.

I will never say that you do not know "music", but I question the feeling side of it as a sort of work that is much more than its components. I don't doubt your knowledge in that area, but you are not seeing the side that closes the eyes and flows with the music in another person ... and those are the folks you want and need, if you want to sell more of your material!!!! Instead you shine them on ... weird!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2021 at 08:45
"you can not be telling me that you can "feel" the material in the old days ... because the technical side of you building these things takes away that feel, into a mechanical, and somewhat intellectual side of creating music"

So anyone who builds a guitar then can't play it ?

Does the amount of books you have in a house confer expertise in all subjects ?

Are you incapable of putting a coherent, structured argument together ?

Edited by Davesax1965 - October 22 2021 at 02:37

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 03:26
One semi useful VST I'll recommend is Toontrack's EZ Drummer series, for those without access to a drumkit and drummer. 

It's not free, though. I've been using the Rock Solid kit for years, I'm sure there's something better out there. You just can't capture the dynamics and spontaneity of having an actual drummer playing with you. 

That's the thing about music: to produce quality music costs money. No way around it.

Edited by Davesax1965 - October 23 2021 at 03:27

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 07:23
This is maybe going off topic a tad but for me, the only software I've come across that comes even remotely close to the subtle rush/drag tempo fluctuations, groove dynamics and nuanced 'off the grid' rubato of a real live drummer is this (NOT free but still a bargain if you don't have access to a mammal hitting things:

Edited by ExittheLemming - October 23 2021 at 07:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 09:20
Thanks, Mr Lemming, I shall have a quick look. 

EZ Drummer is getting a bit old hat for me. 

Incidentally, I almost feel the urge to do some music. Note "almost". 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 09:24
That's quite impressive, thanks ! 

And it integrates with EZ Drummer. Could be a positive purchase there. 

I've toyed with the idea of getting an electronic (mesh head) kit for years and hooking it up by MIDI. The problem is then that I'd be playing it, and my timing is always sloppy. Sax player "swing" thing. ;-)

I won't live long enough to be able to play drums to a level I'd be happy with, either. ;-) 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12