Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Home Record? What's Your Set Up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 04:50
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The old home recording I've done was on cassettes on a Fostex X-15 4 track back in the 80s. I think I still have it in the loft actually.
Classic, when I worked for the Janice Morgan Band they had one on the road for doing demos. Bounce Tracking at it's finest !
If it works you might get a nice price on e-bay.
I haven't checked it for years, there's one on eBay now for a couple of hundred quid although I cant imagine why anyone would want one nowadays. Retro appeal, I guess.
It was a great piece of kit for its time, not that expensive and I spent many an hour making rubbish music in my bedroom with a drum machine and keyboard.
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:50
Since I'm a huge fan of electronic music (particularly the Berlin-School stuff), I have been dabbling around with my own electronic compositions for a few decades now.  All just amateur stuff recorded at home with various different synths throughout the years.  Currently I just have a couple of different workstation synths (Roland FA-06 and my [sort of] trusty Ensoniq VFX-SD), which I run through a little Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 to Ableton Live on my desktop.

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 07 2021 at 08:12
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
Drumstruck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumstruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 04:53
There are a lot of components out there for reasonable price, but how much you want to spend is really going to determine the answers..... a few suggestions:
- Reaper is a bargain DAW for mac or win
- Shure SM57/58 mics are a standard - remember you'll also need mic stands and quality cables
- I have a pair of KRK 10-3s and they are pretty good value for midfields (if you go the smaller monitors you may need a sub too) but it depends on the size of your recording space
- Count how many inputs you're going to need and then consider a small digital mixer
- Consider a headphones amp and get the band to buy their own cans (cost saving for you and hyigenic too), then you can go DI with some instruments (save on mics etc) and just soundproof for the loud dudes (us drummers :-))
I've just spent $5K for you in 5 minutes....

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 02:00
Generally, I use Reaper with a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface. There are various mics, some of which I've modified - as for the amount of gear I have plugged in, well, where to start ? ;-)

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 03:03
PC, Presonus Studio One (DAW) Sound card is RME Babyface Pro and Pioneer monitors. MIDI controller is Behringer UMX490 (which is perfectly fine for my purposes but I regret buying it as the founder and owner of the company is a complete c*nt) Mostly use VSTis but also add the occasional bit of live guitar.

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 09 2021 at 03:07
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 23:12
I use a small Zoom and I keep all the instruments at below the minimum volume of the levels. That way when I mix I have more accurate control over my faders. I still use unorthodox recording methods and I prefer playing the drums to a click track instead of programming drum beats. I have a Yamaha keyboard which is not the best so I resort to using a chours pedal and a digital delay to alter and enhance the fullness in sound that the keyboard cannot give me. I play a Les Paul and apply those effects when needed. After I mix everything I take the SD card to a state of the art studio and he brings the recording up to radio broadcast level. It usually costs me $250.00. I'm releasing the album next year in February or March. I am currently working on a new instrumental album about the life history of the Vikings. It involves some reoccurring themes and counterpoint arrangements combined with choir voices on keys and guitar melody. It's probably going to take me 2 years to complete it. I need to find an artist to do the cover. It's a lot of work. It sometimes takes me 10 to 12 hours a day to accomplish something decent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12