Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite track from Saucerful of Secrets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Poll Question: Your favourite track from 'A Saucerful of Secrets'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [14.00%]
5 [10.00%]
19 [38.00%]
3 [6.00%]
10 [20.00%]
1 [2.00%]
5 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 04:42
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Jugband Blues. Doesn't belong on the album but it's still the best song.

Edited by Cristi - April 14 2021 at 04:46
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 16:15
A Saucerful of Secrets +1
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 17:36
In the end I went for Jugband Blues. It's a strange number, and kind of sad too, especially when you consider the state the writer was in at the time.

It is however in strong competition with Set the Controls...

The title track is very nice, but I think it lacks the intensity of Interstellar Overdrive. The Rick Wright compositions are a bit to whimsy for my taste. I quite enjoy Corporal Clegg; it does have some humour, but it's not necessarily a particularly good song.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 23:57
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I quite enjoy Corporal Clegg; it does have some humour, but it's not necessarily a particularly good song.

And like 'Free Four' from Obscured by Clouds it contains themes that Roger would explore in much greater detail later on albums such as The Wall, Final Cut, and Amused to Death.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 03:47
Remember A Day - possibly in my top 10 all time favourites.  Shame Rick suffered from writer's block over his career.  Love this!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 03:57
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Remember A Day - possibly in my top 10 all time favourites.  Shame Rick suffered from writer's block over his career.  Love this!

I didn't know he suffered from writer's block, he did write and co-write several songs. 
I always thought the writing credits of PF are weird with songs credited to Waters but then there are a lot of keyboards on it. I don't get it. For example Sheep is credited to Waters but the keyboards work there, isn't that Rick's? I don't get it. 

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 04:34
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I didn't know he suffered from writer's block, he did write and co-write several songs. 
I always thought the writing credits of PF are weird with songs credited to Waters but then there are a lot of keyboards on it. I don't get it. For example Sheep is credited to Waters but the keyboards work there, isn't that Rick's? I don't get it. 

I don't get it either.  Off the top of my head, during the Waters era the last time Rick got an individual credit was on 'Shine On You'
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 04:39

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't get it either.  Off the top of my head, during the Waters era the last time Rick got an individual credit was on 'Shine On You'

true, I forgot about that, Rick is not credited on Animals and there's keyboard work especially on Dogs and Sheep. I believe that is Rick, isn't it? 

Writer's block or not, he gave us Wet Dream and Broken China and I pleased, happy about that.  One of my favorite musicians. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 13:31
^ Actually, from Animals, even Pigs has very strong keyboards too... that eerie atmosphere is all keyboards. About the songs he has composed / contributed to, I read a while ago that Echoes was mainly based on Wright, so that brings his writing contributions up to one of the most acomplished songs from the band.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 14:19
For many years, it would have been Set The Controls, but in recent times, I have absolutely loved the title track, an extremely clever and intense piece.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 15:45
For some reason I have a special liking for "Corporal Clegg". This weird humour - "His boots were very clean". I just love it.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 15 2021 at 15:46

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 16:54
Consider my vote due to the 'Icarus' effect. 
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12