Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Prog Artists Recommendations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 10:52
Eartha Kitt with her wonderful growls. "I need a man rawwwl".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2021 at 11:32
She was my favourite actress to play Catwoman in the Batman TV series too.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 10:26
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Another singer I like very much is Inga Rumpf of Frumpy and Atlantis; Frumpy are in the archive, Atlantis not (rightly so, though there are some prog leanings on their first two albums; and their live album from 1975, though not prog, is one of the best live albums ever).

The second album of Frumpy is among my favourite albums. Inga's voice is often mistaken as the voice of a man, by the way. Here my favourite track from that great album:

Frumpy definitely get my seal of approval, in particular their first two albums (third album is more hard blues rock, but still a decent listen).

Many thanks for the recommendation to BaldFriede.

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 17:06
This thread feels familiar, but I'll add my ten cents worth:
 I full-heartedly second the suggestions of 
Nina Hagen (and why not Lena Lovitch while you're at it)
The Moulettes
The Gathering (with and without the wonderful Anneke van Giersbergen)
Courtney Swain/Bent Knee
Anna Von Hausswolf

But, don't stop there: try:
Demen Nektyr
Julia Holter (esp. Aviary)
Faun (especially Eden, Luna, and Renaissance)
Paatos (Petronella Nettermalm)
Iona (Joanne Hogg)
Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard
Ciccada (from Greece)
Espers (Meg Baird)
The Medeæval Bæbes
Jane Siberry
and I'm sure I'll think of a lot more.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 08:07
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Hi,

As much as I like DCD and LG with KS, in the end, her stuff is way too much on the "new age" side of things and it is just not as progressive as it should be ... sometimes, specially in the live shows on the tube, you can see that they are going for the "cool" and the "far out" ... and I'm not sure that the real thing is what this is all about ... I still get a sense of "fake" in all of it, although I thought that in their early days, it was not so plastic as it seems to be now. Maybe, I have gotten tired of DCD ... and considering them "progressive" is very weird for me, when there are/were many others that tried harder and did better than plasticine, or make imagine music, for you and I!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 16:22
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Eartha Kitt with her wonderful growls. "I need a man rawwwl".

what about this

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 01:14
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

As much as I like DCD and LG with KS, in the end, her stuff is way too much on the "new age" side of things and it is just not as progressive as it should be ... sometimes, specially in the live shows on the tube, you can see that they are going for the "cool" and the "far out" ... and I'm not sure that the real thing is what this is all about ... I still get a sense of "fake" in all of it, although I thought that in their early days, it was not so plastic as it seems to be now. Maybe, I have gotten tired of DCD ... and considering them "progressive" is very weird for me, when there are/were many others that tried harder and did better than plasticine, or make imagine music, for you and I!

Lisa Gerrard doesn't push my buttons at all - she always sounds bored and disinterested, as much as I do generally like the New Age genre. Liz Fraser, also from the 4AD stable is another matter entirely.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 03:15

But, don't stop there: try:
The Medeæval Bæbes
and I'm sure I'll think of a lot more.

I need to properly re-evaluate them to be honest, not to mention Katherine Blake's other main project (aside from the Bæbes), i.e. Miranda Sex Garden (don't think they've been mentioned yet in this thread).

Edited by Progishness - May 17 2021 at 03:55

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 23:03
A peruse of the RIP thread has also lead me to explore the work of Constance Demby (pioneer of new age and space music), who I wasn't aware of before.

Edited by Progishness - May 18 2021 at 23:05

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 13:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 02:30

and why not Lena Lovitch while you're at it

I've adored Lene Lovich since the tail end of the 70's - she's one of the few post-punk / new wave artists I actually find palatable.

Will look at some of your other suggestions too.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 04:52
^ yep had completely forgotten about her , totally 'off her rocker' as I recall. Female punk artists were always more fun (Gaye Advert , Siouxsie Sioux , Toyah, Poly Styrene etc) 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 08:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ yep had completely forgotten about her , totally 'off her rocker' as I recall. Female punk artists were always more fun (Gaye Advert , Siouxsie Sioux , Toyah, Poly Styrene etc) 

Hi,

I'm not sure I would consider TOYAH in the punk group and off her rocker. Her having been a part of theatrical and film productions probably gave what she wanted to do an edge that was not being done, and sometimes the performance side tended to come off like "punk" and it wasn't. But, this is a fine line, and she might like to state that it was punk, but in many ways, punk was "mindless" and her work is anything but "mindless" ... it is very intelligent material, suggesting something that most folks in popular music did not do! 

And, it is always possible, that her ending up with Mr. Fripp helped her continue her idea of what she wanted to do, and I never thought of it as "punk", which I would imagine she would not want to be associated with. I think she would rather be with the "artistes" and then do her thing. She is not that well developed in her films stuff, but likely was too young then, specially in the Derek Jarman films when she was first heard from, although it appears that she already was a part of a band.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 23:54
^ she definitely identifies herself as punk as evidenced by her recent appearance on the BBC quiz show Pointless. (I won't bother trying to find a link but she called herself a 'punk girl' and then mentioned her marriage to one the worlds greatest guitarists saying 'who would have thought it would work ..but it did!')
The best punk (UK) was never mindless. It was a myth perpetrated to sell more records. It was mostly well constructed music by talented artists who were desperate for a platform. Anyway that's another discussion!
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 05:21
Having checked the thread, I am surprised that no one has mentioned that in 1976, when Georgie Born replaced John Greaves, 50% of Henry Cow were women:

Dagmar - Voice
Lindsay Cooper - Woodwind
Georgie Born - Bass/Cello

The first two in particular went on to long, distinguished careers on the outer reaches of prog.  Lindsay Cooper sadly passed away in 2013; Georgie retired from music in the early 80s.

HenryCowgirl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryCowgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 11:05
I strongly second Henry Cow! Lindsay Cooper is like my lesbian icon in avant-garde/prog lol, I also recommend the work she did posts Henry Cow with Sally Potter on the records Rags/The Golddiggers  and Oh Moscow 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 11:19
I saw Henry Cow & Slapp Happy performing back in the day, when they were on the 'Virgin Crisis' tour (1975-ish) - the likes of Lol Coxhill & Steve Miller were also on the bill along with a few other acts I've forgotten the names of, possible Kevin Coyne.

MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 16:34
Joanne Hogg from IONA (Vocals / Piano / Keyboard).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 20:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ she definitely identifies herself as punk as evidenced by her recent appearance on the BBC quiz show Pointless. (I won't bother trying to find a link but she called herself a 'punk girl' and then mentioned her marriage to one the worlds greatest guitarists saying 'who would have thought it would work ..but it did!')
The best punk (UK) was never mindless. It was a myth perpetrated to sell more records. It was mostly well constructed music by talented artists who were desperate for a platform. Anyway that's another discussion!

Hi,

I never thought of the lyrical content in many "punk bands" as important. Some were more reactionary than others, but in general, I still have the thought that it would not stand up lyrically to a lot of the things we talk about and discuss as "progressive", and in many cases very strong lyrics and content. 

I, honestly, did not get into the punk scene as much as others, since by that time I was already heavy duty into all the foreigners from Europe, Brazil, Japan and the Middle East ... and often found a lot of the punk and other music that became considered "progressive" in England and the USA as not really that good by comparison. 

We didn't hesitate on PFM and BANCO when it showed up at the station and Guy Guden put them on blind ... and it took our local station over a month to consider playing a PFM piece and I don't think they ever played BANCO at all! (The Manticore version, btw). Maybe in the middle of the night when no one was listening, right? It was a similar thing with GENESIS when TLLDOB ... Guy got a copy and went on the air at midnight and played both LP's back to back, and then repeated it again a couple of hours later by so many requests. The rest of the station couldn't figure out which song to play for a month or more, and never really got into the album. They were all too much into the same sound, and the same thing and the same groove to be able to hear and appreciate anything else. And to me, punk became just that.

Edited by moshkito - June 20 2021 at 20:04
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 02:10
It seems this thread has descended into who is or isn't a punk singer. As I've stated elsewhere punk / new wave never interested me - with a few tiny exceptions (Lene Lovich, Ian Dury, The Stranglers).

Thanks for all the prog suggestions but I shall now abandon this discussion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456