Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rating albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Occulator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rating albums
    Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:54
Can I rate an album without posting a review & if so how do I do this?
Thanks,
Dr. Occulator
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 13:03
Sure. Not sure, never tried, I've only done reviews.
I have to believe you need to go to the album page and find a button that says something like 'rate this album'.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 13:23
Ok, dug a little deeper for you.

1 - Make sure you're logged in
2 - Open the page of the album you want to review
3 - Go to the first review you see when you scroll down
4 - Observe the link at the bottom of the review 'Review This Album' and click it
5 - Scroll to the bottom of the review page and you will see the ratings selection
6 - Pick your rating and hit 'submit' button in the PA colours
Your done.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 15:24
On any artist page, you can click on star ratings for faster operation... Wink
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 16:23
Sure...if you want to be quick and efficient about ! Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 11:10
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

On any artist page, you can click on star ratings for faster operation... Wink

Hi,

I would prefer that this ability was limited so to take the "fans" out of the equation and make the actual "reviews" more important and valuable to the real listeners of the music ... 

The idea is that someone just "rating" an album, is probably not likely to be a fan of all the music at all, but simply giving his/her favorite band a nice bump up ... and in the end, that is not helping the music stand out in this board ... many of those bands and their work is not even discussed in the board, and is often relegated to some weird and strange "style" or "designation" that not many of us ever bother with at all ... 

I' having a horrible time with "post rock" ... as it's definition is even more ridiculous than the one that we have "agreed" for "progressive" and "prog" music for this site and in others as well!

I would prefer, and this is strictly me, that these things were better thought out and created, and that is not to say that the voice of the fan is not valuable ... but his/her voice on music that is in reality a minor this on that on our site ... is a different story ... it's like social media creating a story that does not exist!

I could be wrong on this, as I like the "democratic" thing a lot more, but within a reasonable context of that democracy, is the desire and ability to help maintain it, not add stuff that is going to splinter it even more, and into areas that are almost designed to destroy it ... not to support it!

Edited by moshkito - April 21 2021 at 11:10
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 13:09
^ Personally, I like this feature, because I'm not able (I think) to write good reviews (in English) but I know what I like. I "rate-only" many albums to keep track of what I like or not. And I never rate an album that I don't know. See my ratings.

Still, I understand your concern about some abuses that can happen. But, as you may know, there's some protection against it in the "average rating" formula:

- Rating only: Weight = 1
- Review by members : Weight = 10
- Review by PA Collaborators : Weight = 20

I agree with this system and hope it will stay like that...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 09:11

^ Personally, I like this feature, because I'm not able (I think) to write good reviews (in English) but I know what I like. I "rate-only" many albums to keep track of what I like or not. And I never rate an album that I don't know. See my ratings.

Still, I understand your concern about some abuses that can happen. But, as you may know, there's some protection against it in the "average rating" formula:

Hi,

You are correct in this area ... the issue with foreign speaking folks ... however, these days, the translation of the materials on the internet is quite helpful, and I'm not sure that folks are making use of it to learn more ... it's just a thought, btw.

But my main concern is ... and I find this important ... that too many folks are not really voting for an "album" as much as they are for a song within it ... in the old days, you bought the album, and you MIGHT have heard one song in it, thus the whole thing was far out to discover ... and nowadays, with all the abilities on the Internet to hear just about every album you can think of, including parts of one I helped produce, I find it strange to blame it on the language barrier ... I listen to things in many languages and they don't bother me, or that I can not learn, or find some information on it in the Internet. 

To me, there is no "foreign" anymore, although I do reviews for "foreign language" films and some music here and there ... but all in all, this is my attempt to help people find new things ... as I said once in a Portland International Film Festival ... don't go see the American or the English films ... go see the one from Ukraine, Mozambigue and Patagonia ... why? Easy ... you and I and no one else WILL EVER SEE THEM AGAIN. The American and English will be released on video (now DVD). 

It's the same here ... but I refuse to rate things, unless I review them ... I do not separate those two elements ... what's the point of me rating something, when I don't care enough to bother reviewing the album? It simply cries ... I don't care to rate the rest ... and in the end, this is not a good thing, as the whole album, might not be good enough (so to speak) with the exception of one song that everyone seems to like, myself included.

Sorry about the long reply ... I, personally, with English as my 3rd language, don't see a reason to allow the rating without a review ... AND, if you have issues with the English, there is always someone else within the group that is quite capable of helping you say it better, or correctly, if that is the concern. I would never hesitate to ask a few folks for assistance, if that was my case ... 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 13:06
^ Well, English is my 2nd language, and it's not so bad. The main problem is that I'm not a good writer... even if my native language. Moreover, I find difficult to explain (in any language, spoken or written) why I like some albums (or books, or foods, or...) more than others.

I guess I would be good to write reviews in 20 words or less... LOL But instead I prefer to rate-only.

I listen to LOTS of music. Most of it I know by heart, because I love it so much.

Different people, different approach I suppose.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2021 at 10:33

^ Well, English is my 2nd language, and it's not so bad. The main problem is that I'm not a good writer... even if my native language. Moreover, I find difficult to explain (in any language, spoken or written) why I like some albums (or books, or foods, or...) more than others.
Hi,

After almost 50 years of writing, and I started doing it in English when I barely knew it, you CAN NOT learn how to express yourself if you don't write. IT WAS WHAT TAUGHT ME THE LANGUAGE since speaking with others seems like it always got the "he doesn't get it" or the like ... 

WRITE ... and then WRITE ... and then WRITE SOME MORE ... and stop worrying about it being right or wrong ... in the end, it will help evaluate and change your expression anyway ... so you thinking ahead of time about it, is a waste of time, and an excuse not to write!

GO WRITE ... it's all I can say ... yes I get judged at times for not being understood ... but that is something that happens to everyone all over the world, and if you WANT TO WRITE, concerning yourself with others instead of how and what you see and want to WRITE ... is a mistake in the making!

Edited by moshkito - April 23 2021 at 10:33
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply