Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Drumming of Pierre Moerlen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Drumming of Pierre Moerlen
    Posted: May 18 2021 at 16:44
I would LOVE some help to appreciate better the drumming of Pierre Moerlen. Could you please suggest some specific songs and/or albums in which his prowess and skills are on display. I've heard Gazeuse is a good place to start. Any others?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 16:57
Nope. Listen to Pip Pyle.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 16:59
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Nope. Listen to Pip Pyle.

LOL i love you, man!

Okay. Dial me in: give me some of Pip's most impressive displays of mastery on le batterie: help educate me, please!

Drew Fisher
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:03
Here you go..

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:10
I'm a big fan of Pierre, however I find it difficult to recommend something as I love his drumming everywhere. Gazeuse is great, as are the albums around it, Shamal, Expresso II, Downwind.  The Live album by Pierre Moerlen's Gong has some very good drumming, too (not so much the solo, but the other stuff).

Edited by Lewian - May 18 2021 at 17:21
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:38
Thanks, Lewian!^
As I've never really liked Gong music much, these are all albums that I've never listened to, so THANKS!

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:47
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Here you go..

You're right! That is some IMPRESSIVE drumming! I guess I've always been carried away by the extraordinary voice and performance of Richard Sinclair on that song--plus the drums kind of get relegated to the background behind the voice, bass, and keys once the singing enters. Again, thank you for providing me with a contextual experience for hearing the impressive skills of Mr. Pyle.

I am REALLY enjoying this process: of showcasing musicians' talents through specific song recommendations.

THANKS!!!

Drew Fisher
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:59
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I am REALLY enjoying this process: of showcasing musicians' talents through specific song recommendations.
It's a great idea. Here is another drummer, (not Pierre) that is relatively unknown. 

Sorry that I'm high jacking this thread. I'll stop.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - May 18 2021 at 18:17
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 18:14
Solid!^ Love when it kicks in at 1:15! Plus, I love the humor of the vid! Awesome! Definitely a band I've never heard of but will have to check out further! (As well as that girl in the salmon dress!)Wink

Whoa! That shift at 3:50 really took me by surprise! COOOL!

Edited by BrufordFreak - May 18 2021 at 18:16
Drew Fisher
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 23:55
My single favorite bit of Pierre's drumming is on Gong "You!" 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 04:52
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

that would have been my suggestion too. Pierre is absolutely awesome here. the way the bass drum comes in at the beginning alone...

I also highly recommend Gong's "Live au Bataclan". Pierre is brilliant on that album

Edited by BaldJean - May 19 2021 at 04:57

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 05:32
Very little discussion of Pierre Moerlen's Gong - which seem to be almost criminally overlooked among the prog fraternity.  I was lucky to catch them live in 1980 before Pierre joined the first Mike Oldfield tour (check out 'Exposed').  Dip into any of the PMG albums to enjoy Pierre's drumming (perhaps start with 'Downwind' where Pierre has a go at singing as well...)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 05:42
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Very little discussion of Pierre Moerlen's Gong - which seem to be almost criminally overlooked among the prog fraternity.  I was lucky to catch them live in 1980 before Pierre joined the first Mike Oldfield tour (check out 'Exposed').  Dip into any of the PMG albums to enjoy Pierre's drumming (perhaps start with 'Downwind' where Pierre has a go at singing as well...)

Same here; I saw Pierre four times live (also with Tribute and Allen's Gong in the 90s), and although I like him on albums, it doesn't really come close to the joy of seeing him playing. Unfortunately there's hardly anything on youtube that reproduces this properly.
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 06:05
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

His drumming on this album is amazing. especially on "The Isle Of Everywhere". Just listen to his drum fill in 1:10, Its so groovy.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 06:29
Nobody mentioned "Time is the Key"? I particularly like Pierre's drumming in Arabesque Intro/Arabesque and Esnuria Two (which kind of flow together)...

Post Reply Post Reply