Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What 3 Rush albums are the most overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 14:37
A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres. 

The songwriting just isn't that good and they can get pretty generic at times, although they have their high points. 

Only those two. Moving Pictures I think is just excellent and 2112 the suite might drag on a bit in some places but it has brilliant moments and side 2 is also very strong.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 15:14
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Signals (Side 1 is brilliant, side 2 is weak, notably New World Man and Countdown which do nothing for me)

Either way, "The Weapon" and "Losing It" are brilliant.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 17:27
The most overrated?

None of them imo. However, if I had to chose I would say vapor trails, 2112 and Moving Pictures. I like the last two though. VT hasn't grown on me yet and maybe never will.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 21 2021 at 17:28
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 18:56
Vapor Trails can't be "overrated" just because you don't like it. Wink
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 12:16
I hesitate to use the word "overrated" as that implies a sense of universality that I wouldn't dare claim in this case, but even relative to my declining interest in Rush I've found that I just don't care about 2112 as an album anymore, even though it once served as my entry point into the band (and one of my entry points into prog as a whole). The music on both sides is just fairly standard mid-70s hard rock fare and the production sounds really dull and monotone to me, especially when compared to later albums.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2021 at 14:01
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Vapor Trails can't be "overrated" just because you don't like it. Wink

I think that’s how most of the people here are using the word, though.....

There are very few, if any overrated Rush albums. I may not like them, but albums don’t get that popular and continue to hold such acclaim if they are overrated. If an album has ever been overrated that usually becomes more obvious as t8me goes on. As a fan of Bowie, it’s easy to see where albums were overrated at the time, as people fell over themselves to claim X was the best Bowie album since Y or Z. But as time has gone by, those albums that were overrated are no longer held in such high esteem. That people still love Moving Pictures, even though it does nothing much for me, says it’s not overrated. Etc. etc. etc.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 16:42
This should probably be in lists. Anyway, for me I'll say:

1. 2112
2. Moving Pictures
3. A Farewell to Kings

All three are still great but I think compared to others they get a little too much exposure(especially the first two I listed here). The title track to 2112 is great but side two is a bit lacking copared to side one. The songs are still good on side two but compared to other rush album sides they pale in comparison imo and just are light on the prog. MP is very played out. There's two or three songs on here that have just been played to death on classic rock radio. So that's my biggest complaint. It's not as adventurous or as prog sounding as the few before it either imo with the exception of camera eye and yyz. AFTK has enough just ok or filler stuff for it to qualify to be on  here, namely madrigal and cinderella man. Even cygnus I think doesn't really hold up that well imo. I like the sound effects and the fact that it tries to be science fictionish though. However, Xanadu and the title track are prime Rush imo.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 06 2021 at 16:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12