Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middle Eastern Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 21:09
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Pedro, this is the 24 minute title track to Scheherazade by Renaissance. This is middle eastern prog.

Not really. Lyrically and poetically for sure but not musically. From the composition standpoint this album is the true definition of symphonic prog more inspired by the classic Scheherazade by Rimsky-Karsakov based on the folk tales One Thousand and One Nights (aka The Arabian Nights).

I just went on a road trip and listened to this whole album like 5 times. There are no hints of Middle Eastern music scales or otherwise that i can detect. In the case of the tales of Scheherazade, they are compiled from Arabic folklore.

If you take the characteristics of Arabic music (and most Middle Eastern music for that matter) they are defined by a few common criteria:

Much of Arabic music is characterized by an emphasis on melody and rhythm as opposed to harmony and typically Arabic music is homophonic not polyphonic like most Western classical music which this album and track are based upon.

There are no musical scales based on the maqam system which features one tonic note. Also there are no traces of the polymorphic percussion styles nor the instrumentation that accents tones, textures and timbres.

So if you're referring to the lyrics and subject matter, you are correct but as far as the music is concerned, there's nothing Middle Eastern about this Renaissance track at all.

And what rule book stated that middle eastern prog was solely confined to music and not lyrics. Get off your high horse and chill out. And save your middle eastern prog 101 lessons for someone less musically aware.

The author of the thread clearly stated an interest in Middle Eastern SOUNDS. Just clarifying for those interested. If that's not you then please disregard. In other words, if it don't apply then let it fly.

You're right about that. I usually don't pay much attention to lyrics. That's why I am more interested in Middle Eastern sounds.

Anyway, I hadn't really heard much from Renaissance, so besides all the good (and not so good ) suggestions I have heard so far in this thread, I appreciate the fact that I was introduced to that band Renaissance. I will definitely have to dedicate some time in the near future to explore them.

Sorry if it sounds like i'm trying to be confrontation with SteveG. Not the case at all. Just trying to have a conversation since Middle Eastern music is one of my favorite ethnic styles. By all means check out Renaissance. Scheherazade is a true masterpiece from beginning to end but it is the perfect example of symphonic prog with a real orchestra. I listened to the album 5  times on a recent road trip! THAT's how good it is and the side long title song really DOES tell the beautiful tales of ancient Arab folklore so from a lyrical point of view, it really does an excellent job! Just don't expect any Middle Eastern instruments, musical scales or polyrhythmic percussion.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 10:31

...Just don't expect any Middle Eastern instruments, musical scales or polyrhythmic percussion.

Hi,

Which by our standards, would make it "progressive" from their point of view specially. Sadly, we think a touch of a cardboard sound is good enough to make it, instead of realizing that it is just giving us the "idea" that it is this and that, and it isn't. It's just an idea!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 11:01
Well, this is surely a progressive metal song with some clear Middle Eastern tunes. In general, there's a delightful blend of the Eastern and Western music in the song (and the album where this song is).

From my country, Turkey:

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 21:22

I just heard some Middle Eastern sounds on Pendragon's Believe album. THat's such a beautiful album. Not sure why it is rated so low.

my fave Pendragon album...and it's not even close
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234