Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your music collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 14:17
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

...we are talking about music, not about how many guns, cars, motorcycles or houses we own. 
I don't own any guns, cars, motorcycles or houses, but I do own around 3,000 CD's, although only 568 of those albums are listed on ProgArchives, and considering they're all safely stored Close to the Edge of the walls on the upper floors, there's always room to acquire more.  Smile

Wow that's some cataloguing system if you know it's precisely 568!  [I'm impressed.]

Yeah, I'm not sure what was up with the guns, cars, motorcycles, houses, etc comment. Lol. Maybe someone can explain that to me. Wink 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 15:03
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

[EDIT] Isn't it something like 40 pounds per square foot? 

God I hope not, Think about a single body standing in one spot. You take up about 1 sq/ft of 'land'. This is sometimes called 'point loading'. I'm sure regular household dwellings have something like 150 lb/sq/ft load capability anyway (I could look it up but I just cut the lawn and I'm really hot). But also if you think about how most people store their collections, most are in shelves or racks along a wall. Being 'close to the edge' Wink the floor joists have a much better load capability than out in the middle somewhere.

I got the number from this article, but wasn't sure how accurate it was:

It keeps referring to it as a "minimum live load." I'm not an engineer so I'd have to do more research to find out what that means. They seem to take that number and multiply it by the total square foot of a room to determine the "minimum allowable live load" for a 12x18 foot living room coming up with a number of 8,640 pounds. That's like around two small automobiles I think. I'm not about to test that. Perhaps you or someone on here can point me to a more reliable source?

But yeah, I agree about there being more support against load-bearing walls.

The reason this has been in the back of my mind is that the library I work at had a weight issue on a floor about a decade ago that had more books stored on it than the floor could support. The floor sagged in many locations and book trucks used to roll off all by themselves. That has since been fixed. It's a good thing. It could have been a disaster if it had collapsed.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 13:06
Back to Your Music Collection..........I got inspired to go look for my Sony Walkman WM-F1, bought in '82-'83, don't remember, but for sure I had it in '83 as I used to listen while at college in the library, trying to study LOL. Found some cassettes, but most are in storage in a room buried in boxes, that will be a massive undertaking to find!!
Cleaned the heads, had to clean up some battery oxidation and put 4 new AA in and she played fine. The belt needs changing as the wow & flutter is evident. Depending on tape the sound is as expected from this unit but man the memories came flooding back Clap. The Saga and Triumph tape sound really good......

Guess I need to go internet shopping for a cassette deck, but man they are spendy. My biggest regret is getting rid of my deck around 2003-04, I know all it needed was new belts and some cleaning but I was stupid not keeping it. It was an Akai GX-F31, superb tape deck....Cry What a dumba$$ I am.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 13:45
Over 3000 records, around 800 CDs.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 16:50

Back to Your Music Collection..........I got inspired to go look for my Sony Walkman WM-F1, bought in '82-'83, don't remember, but for sure I had it in '83 as I used to listen while at college in the library, trying to study LOL. Found some cassettes, but most are in storage in a room buried in boxes, that will be a massive undertaking to find!!
Cleaned the heads, had to clean up some battery oxidation and put 4 new AA in and she played fine. The belt needs changing as the wow & flutter is evident. Depending on tape the sound is as expected from this unit but man the memories came flooding back Clap. The Saga and Triumph tape sound really good......

Guess I need to go internet shopping for a cassette deck, but man they are spendy. My biggest regret is getting rid of my deck around 2003-04, I know all it needed was new belts and some cleaning but I was stupid not keeping it. It was an Akai GX-F31, superb tape deck....Cry What a dumba$$ I am.

[IMAGE DELETED FOR SPACE]
These are my two decks. Although the Taya is the CD5000 model and not the CD5310 model shown. Plus I have an Akai portable stereo recorder that I used to take to concerts. I can't remember the model # and it's stored away in a bin somewhere.
The JVC I bought for $35 at an Op-Shop in the Kingston area almost twenty years ago. But it's a stable workhorse.

Edited by JD - June 12 2021 at 16:52
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 22:22
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

[IMAGE DELETED FOR SPACE]
These are my two decks. Although the Taya is the CD5000 model and not the CD5310 model shown. Plus I have an Akai portable stereo recorder that I used to take to concerts. I can't remember the model # and it's stored away in a bin somewhere.
The JVC I bought for $35 at an Op-Shop in the Kingston area almost twenty years ago. But it's a stable workhorse.

Nice JD!! I need to find a good deal like that.......Or I could go big and get one of the Nakamichi Dragons that go for like $3K Shocked............nahhhh! LOL
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:31
I still have a fair amount of Phish concerts on cassette from the early to mid 90s (2 boxes full) and I have about 4-5 albums I’ve recently acquired on cassette either because that’s the only format on which they’re available, or just for collectirs’ sake. I don’t currently have anything to play them on except for my old 4-track recorder, but I’ve been on the lookout for a half-decent boombox or tape deck at Goodwill and/or garage sales. Don’t really need the Phish tapes anymore, as you can download old shows off the internet (legally) now.

Currently visiting family in PA, and looking forward to returning to this big antique store in a nearby town, where several years ago I discovered a room with thousands of old records. Always fun to see what I’ll find in there. It’s like discovering treasure in a secret hidden crypt.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 16:13
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I still have a fair amount of Phish concerts on cassette from the early to mid 90s (2 boxes full) and I have about 4-5 albums I’ve recently acquired on cassette either because that’s the only format on which they’re available, or just for collectirs’ sake. I don’t currently have anything to play them on except for my old 4-track recorder, but I’ve been on the lookout for a half-decent boombox or tape deck at Goodwill and/or garage sales. Don’t really need the Phish tapes anymore, as you can download old shows off the internet (legally) now.

Currently visiting family in PA, and looking forward to returning to this big antique store in a nearby town, where several years ago I discovered a room with thousands of old records. Always fun to see what I’ll find in there. It’s like discovering treasure in a secret hidden crypt.

One of my wife's cousins was a monster Phish fan back in the 90's, he travelled everywhere to see the band. Met his wife (now divorced) at a Phish show, he used to record all of the shows. He had a DAT deck, stereo mics he would hide in a beanie, he probably had 300 tapes. He was banned from 2 venues in Seattle for taping....Not sure what he has done with the tapes.
He named one of his black labs Fee, Fee passed away probably 10yrs ago, great dog.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 16:45

One of my wife's cousins was a monster Phish fan back in the 90's, he travelled everywhere to see the band. Met his wife (now divorced) at a Phish show, he used to record all of the shows. He had a DAT deck, stereo mics he would hide in a beanie, he probably had 300 tapes. He was banned from 2 venues in Seattle for taping....Not sure what he has done with the tapes.
He named one of his black labs Fee, Fee passed away probably 10yrs ago, great dog.
Surprised about the banning. Phish encouraged taping at their shows. Maybe it wasn’t in the designated taper’s section.
I didn’t travel too much to see them, but saw them 18 times between 1993 and 1998. I named my cat Poster Nutbag, after a cat in their song “Harpua”. Haven’t seen them since ‘98. Still enjoy an occasional spin down memory lane.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:45

Surprised about the banning. Phish encouraged taping at their shows. Maybe it wasn’t in the designated taper’s section.
I didn’t travel too much to see them, but saw them 18 times between 1993 and 1998. I named my cat Poster Nutbag, after a cat in their song “Harpua”. Haven’t seen them since ‘98. Still enjoy an occasional spin down memory lane.
He could have been banned for taping other artists......I'm not sure.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 20:59
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

This is basically what mine look like still. Tongue
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 21:30
About 1000 CDs of post/alternative/progressive rock/metal.
170 vinyls, 50 cassettes and 500 CDs of hard-rock/heavy-metal.
100 CDs of other styles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456