0 [0.00%]
2 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Holdsworth Record?
    Posted: June 18 2021 at 01:36
On a Holdsworth kick, and just scored 12 of his records on eBay for stupid cheap.

GO!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 01:44
Hard Hat
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 02:01
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Hard Hat

Same!

Interesting to note that Vai and Zappa both considered Holdsworth at one point the best guitar player ever.

b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 03:30
Metal Fatigue (1985)
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 05:06
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Interesting to note that Vai and Zappa both considered Holdsworth at one point the best guitar player ever.
So did Eddie Van Halen.

Toss up between I.O.U. and Metal Fatigue. Road Games is killer but absent from the list.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 06:30
It's hard to choose a favorite, since I love Allan's music. I voted for Hard Hat Area, just because I listened to it yesterday.

Edited by Manuel - June 18 2021 at 09:01
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 09:45
JJ&H – Heavy Machinery. Love it.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 10:50
I'll admit I haven't heard every album on the list, but from those I do have:

1) Metal Fatigue
2) Sand
3) Atavachron
4) Secrets
5) Wardenclyffe Tower
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 12:10
I think i.o.u. is the most impressive.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 14:13

Hard Hat

Same!

Hard to blame them really. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 16:22
I.O.U. is amazing; not a single weak track on there and except for maybe the vocals I love every aspect of it: the compositions, the guitar tones, the backing musicians (and of course the solos, god those solos, but that's a given on any Holdsworth album; just listen to him shredding away in the final two minutes of "White Line"!)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 23:23
Went with Secrets, for Vinnie. But easily could have chosen Atavachron (featuring one of the most impressive jazz melodies I've ever heard in Non-Brewed Condiment), or Hard Hat Area (featuring an incredible solo on Low Levels, High Stakes).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 23:29

Hard Hat

Same!

Hard to blame them really. 

EVH is my #1 and I don't remember him mentioning Holdsworth, but I don't disbelieve it. Zappa mentions him many times in his 80's interviews. Allan made the guitar sound like it was a floating dream cloud while never overstepping his presence and always having, essentially, perfect tone and feel. 

I'm having a custom Kiesel headless guitar made and I had his signature pickups included! Cool.

I should have it by fall!

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 00:39
I thought velvet darkness was good but the electric guitar bits spoilt it. Don’t really like his sound or style at all really
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 14:56

EVH is my #1 and I don't remember him mentioning Holdsworth, but I don't disbelieve it. Zappa mentions him many times in his 80's interviews. Allan made the guitar sound like it was a floating dream cloud while never overstepping his presence and always having, essentially, perfect tone and feel. 

I'm having a custom Kiesel headless guitar made and I had his signature pickups included! Cool.
I should have it by fall!

Schweet !   I remember when Gilmour was playing his headless Steinberger in '88,  great set-up.  

Customer image
“That very nasty distortion you hear at the beginning of the song is basically the result of the Steinberger going through two little amps in the studio—a Fender Super Champ and a Gallien-Krueger. I use a Boss Heavy Metal distortion pedal and a Boss digital delay pedal, which then goes into the Fender Super Champ. And that in combination with the internal distortion on the Gallien-Krueger was how I got that particular sound."  -- Dave Gilmour

BTW, Eddie had been listening to Holdsworth for years and took much inspiration from him.   Alex preferred AC/DC and Dave like Motown & the Blues.   It's one of the things that gave VH a unique sound.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 15:39
This is tough one but I'm going with Metal Fatigue.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 22:16
Road Games
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 22:49
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

Road Games

DUDE this EP has been in my head constantly the last two days!

Was there something?....Something on your mind?! Song is killer!

Also Jack Bruce's vocals on the title track are perfect IMHO.

Post Reply Post Reply