Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

After a short interlude II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Break, hiatus, call it what you like - who was more invigorated?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [15.91%]
3 [6.82%]
12 [27.27%]
5 [11.36%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [9.09%]
13 [29.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 18:14
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

90125 was better than its two predecessors

Better than Drama ? No way.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 19:11
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Half of these options I find rather weak or uneven. Thrak and K.A. are alright but don't stand out as particularly memorable in my mind, so I'm left with no other choice except the apparently unpopular Invisible Touch which is the only one of these that has a place in my heart despite its adorably dated 80s quality.

well said---listened to it recently and it has some great pop songs (Beatles did pop too)  and a few more arty songs like Tonight and Domino and The Brazilian...which are all exceptional.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 19:12
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Half of these options I find rather weak or uneven. Thrak and K.A. are alright but don't stand out as particularly memorable in my mind, so I'm left with no other choice except the apparently unpopular Invisible Touch which is the only one of these that has a place in my heart despite its adorably dated 80s quality.

well said---listened to it recently and it has some great pop songs (Beatles did pop too)  and a few more arty songs like Tonight and Domino and The Brazilian...which are all exceptional. I mean if you want dated 90125 is that---and some of it sounds cheesy .
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 21:43

90125 was better than its two predecessors, but ... KA is the best Magma album since Köhntarkösz.

You might be right, but of the studio albums in that time, I much prefer Attahk (one of my very favourite Magma albums) and I much prefer the subsequent E-Re to KA.  To me KA feels kind of Prog-Magma-by-numbers, almost too mainstream Prog and accessible in its way, or a fan pleaser (that Hercules finds it awful might indicate that I'm wrong as his tastes are more mainstream than mine).  I'd put Üdü Ẁüdü ahead of KA from a purely subjective perspective.  That was a long short interlude between albums  With Magma, I never really feel like they beat the debut, which I think much more audacious and interesting than KA. That said, I still think that KA was an excellent return.  I looked at rateyourmusic and noticed that KA is the highest rated of the studio albums.  If Retrospective I-II counts (from 1981 based on 1980 concerts, I think), that is one of my very favourite Magma albums.

Edited by Logan - June 18 2021 at 21:45
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 23:36

90125 was better than its two predecessors, but ... KA is the best Magma album since Köhntarkösz.

I disagree that 90215 is a better record than Drama, but I do agree it's a better record than Tormato.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 00:57
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I disagree that 90215 is a better record than Drama, but I do agree it's a better record than Tormato.

Clap
I agree here. Tongue
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 01:13
I don't really think any of these are particularly good and maybe it's because of the interval. Anyway, Present is a half decent VDGG album so that's my pick.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 01:15
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Clap
I agree here. Tongue
Like saying I prefer my former high school teacher to my mother-in-law.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 02:16
Thrak gives me a headache. 90125 from this list definitely. Not as good as the classic Yes era, but a great album all the same
Songs cast a light on you
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 03:35
Land of Confusion and album Invisble Touch is the most relevet release in a post-Trump era america alongside Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair, so my vote goes Genesis
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 00:54
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Land of Confusion and album Invisble Touch is the most relevet release in a post-Trump era america alongside Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair, so my vote goes Genesis
I've never liked either the song lyrics or the song itself but I'm glad someone got something prophetic out of the song having a connection to Donald Trump. That's the way music should be - appealing to some having that connection while unappealing and disconnected to others. Anything but boring, achieving a purpose.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 01:24
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Clap
I agree here. Tongue
Like saying I prefer my former high school teacher to my mother-in-law.

Precisely LOL.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 23:50
Only reminds me just how painful the eighties was as far as Yes, ELP and Genesis goes!

I don't know the other albums so will abstain. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 23:36
King Crimson - Thrak
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 13:46
King Crimson
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 15:03
Thrak it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12