Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Senjutsu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Senjutsu
    Posted: September 08 2021 at 15:21
Anyone listened to the new Maiden album?

It has some great tracks, my favorite is probably this one:

Edited by TheLionOfPrague - September 08 2021 at 15:22
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 15:35
I've listened to it twice, decent album, it does not make me want to listen to it again very soon though. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 15:42
They've captured their early 80s studio sound really well on this cut, if all too familiar material.   Good on them for keeping the faith, still the ultimate summer tour band.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 16:44
Groovy song.   For those who have listened to both albums, how do you compare Senjutsu with Book of Souls? 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - September 09 2021 at 04:51
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 16:47
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Anyone listened to the new Maiden album?

It has some great tracks, my favorite is probably this one:

I've listened to a couple tracks........My 3-LP box set should be arriving today. They have become the biggest metal band ever probably, easily of the NWOBHM ones. But touring wise over the planet have to be the biggest....epic monster live shows.
With Rush done now, Maiden have one of the last big shows left still touring.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 13:55
^ Hardest working band in the world for a long time.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 16:11
They're one of my top three favorite bands of all time for a reason. The day they decide to hang it up will be a sad day indeed. 

I'll be getting to SENJUTSU after spinning THE BOOK OF SOULS. Can't wait.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 00:24
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've listened to it twice, decent album, it does not make me want to listen to it again very soon though. 

That about sums up my opinion of the album too (although Iīve listened to it more than twice to write my review). Itīs decent, but also a little boring. It seriously needs a couple of faster songs, because the constant slow- to mid-pace of the tracks suck energy from the material. Many of the tracks are too long and feel like they build up forever before anything happens (Hell on Earth is the best example of that). I dislike the Kevin Shirley sound production too...and miss the good old days with Martin Birch producing.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 12:21
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

That about sums up my opinion of the album too (although Iīve listened to it more than twice to write my review). Itīs decent, but also a little boring. It seriously needs a couple of faster songs, because the constant slow- to mid-pace of the tracks suck energy from the material. Many of the tracks are too long and feel like they build up forever before anything happens (Hell on Earth is the best example of that). I dislike the Kevin Shirley sound production too...and miss the good old days with Martin Birch producing.
As of now I prefer it over Book of Souls, which is an excellent album. I enjoy their attempt at continuing to write longer pcs with some prog elements, both Bruce and Steve have mentioned their desire to write longer pcs, influenced by Steve's love of JTull. I'm fine with it.

For sure the biggest gripe I have is with their continued use of Kevin Shirley as the mix engineer, he's really not that good at all. He has a tendency to bury the drums and vocals at times, he has not a good ear for how to create instrument separation create that air between sounds. The mix is always on the muddy side......There are some songs that sound pretty good, but nothing spectacular. Iron Maiden should use someone like Magda and Robert Srzedniccy who mix most of Riverside's albums, anybody but Shirley (rant over LOL).

Edited by Catcher10 - September 22 2021 at 12:22
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 14:07
I have it, played it, think it's better (or at least initially more accessible) than Book of Souls. No final opinion yet though.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 14:42
Really enjoying the new album a lot. Incredible they're still putting out music this good at this point of their career. 

Oh and if they don't play "Death Of The Celts" live I will be most put out! Amazing tune!
 Post Reply Post Reply