Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Top 10 Favourite Prog Albums of 1987

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 03:25
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

There was a lot more prog in the 80s than many realize. Much of it was weird avant-prog and neo-prog though.

In alphabetical order (only TRUE prog no related or non)
Yes indeed, but I know I'd find it a lot more intersting if you could exclusive list your 1987 prog favorites (like you are supposed to) rather than simply posting a list of every album you know about in alphabetical order. Post your 1987-quality list over sheer quantity.

The highest entertainment factor would be if he/she posted both. No complaints about that list striving for completeness, I was curious what I had missed on mine (apparently nothing apart from maybe Dr. Nerve).
No, I'm not complaining about someone striving for completeness. But instead of posting these endless lists in theads not about that, think striving for completeness in alphabetial order-fans can make a topic about that for themselves. I find it interesting to learn about other members favorites for a specific year, as I might discover a potential new favorite for myself that way. I'm much less interested in how many titles a PA-member knows about from a specific year - in total.

If someone has seen/knows 500+ films from 1972 in total, I would be much more interested in this individuals favorites from that year rather than a list of every single movietitle in alphabetical order. But I suppose we are all different.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 05:35

No, I'm not complaining about someone striving for completeness. But instead of posting these endless lists in theads not about that, think striving for completeness in alphabetial order-fans can make a topic about that for themselves. I find it interesting to learn about other members favorites for a specific year, as I might discover a potential new favorite for myself that way. I'm much less interested in how many titles a PA-member knows about from a specific year - in total.

If someone has seen/knows 500+ films from 1972 in total, I would be much more interested in this individuals favorites from that year rather than a list of every single movietitle in alphabetical order. But I suppose we are all different.

Fair enough, but in the context of a thread where lots of people complain that there wasn't enough for putting together a list of 10, a demonstration how much there actually was maybe makes some sense (chances are there are far longer lists in other years that I don't necessarily want to see posted in these threads either). Hell, I don't think it was a spectacularly bad year, but I'd have had serious problems to go beyond say 13 prog albums that I know and at least like a bit. In fact, if these threads started with a complete list, it would help me a lot, as (as mentioned before) the dating on my machine is unreliable, and looking up the "top prog albums" for that year on PA always misses some that I like.  

Edited by Lewian - September 13 2021 at 09:13
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 08:36
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The thread title says 10 prog albums, having non-prog in there is cheating, also (in theory) off topic.

Here I was wrecking my brain to come up with 10 worthy albums. I failed (there are three prog-related entries). Ouch

Great music is great music. If it's great, it must be refreshing and somehow "progress". The music I like just feels progressive--all of it.

I list more than ten to help other people consider albums they may have forgotten/overlooked--and to push boundaries (and buttons).

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 09:01

There was a lot more prog in the 80s than many realize. Much of it was weird avant-prog and neo-prog though.

In alphabetical order (only TRUE prog no related or non)
Yes indeed, but I know I'd find it a lot more intersting if you could exclusive list your 1987 prog favorites (like you are supposed to) rather than simply posting a list of every album you know about in alphabetical order. Post your 1987-quality list over sheer quantity.

I don't really do "favorites" lists. When i finally did make a list of my all time favorite artists on RYM it turned out to be over 500! I figured it would be helpful to list some albums that have been virtually forgotten. If it don't apply let it fly!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 09:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

IQ - Nomzamo
Marillion - Clutching At Straws
Tangerine Dream - Tyger

that's all the prog I can do and those are 3 star albums at best.

I'm with you on the IQ and Marillion, although they're both way more than 3 stars in my book!

AMLOR by Floyd is also a great album from this year (IMHO) but I'm struggling to come up with anything else.

Didn't get any of these until much later, as "that year, I was mostly listening to hair metal......"

My first gig that year though, Bryan Adams, and Into The Fire is still my favourite of hisClap

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 12:36
1. Geoff Downes - The Light Program
2. Mike Oldfield - Islands
3. Pink Floyd  - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
4. Patrick Moraz - Human Interface
5. Saga - Wildest Dreams
6. Rush - Hold your Fire
7. Roger Hodgson - Hai Hai
8. Alan Parsons Project - Gaudi
9. Wetton/Manzanera - Wetton/Manzanera
10. The Silencers - A Letter from St. Paul

I was surprised to see a few mentions for the first Robbie Robertson album, which I really like but did not think would find favor on this board. Of course, it also has Peter Gabriel guesting on the two best songs.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 00:53
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

IQ - Nomzamo
Marillion - Clutching At Straws
Tangerine Dream - Tyger

that's all the prog I can do and those are 3 star albums at best.

I'm with you on the IQ and Marillion, although they're both way more than 3 stars in my book!

AMLOR by Floyd is also a great album from this year (IMHO) but I'm struggling to come up with anything else.

Didn't get any of these until much later, as "that year, I was mostly listening to hair metal......"

My first gig that year though, Bryan Adams, and Into The Fire is still my favourite of hisClap

I wasn't gigging in those days. I seem to remember being vey fed up with life in general, and music was not helping very much. Apart from IQ I bought a few New Age albums and electronic albums and the latest by Maiden and that was it. I was very excited about the latest IQ album but then found it full of that horrible 'tinny' eighties production sound. Similarly felt let down by U2 and Suzanne Vega and could barely listen to what they were putting out as it was literally hurting my ears! 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 01:36

I don't really do "favorites" lists. When i finally did make a list of my all time favorite artists on RYM it turned out to be over 500! I figured it would be helpful to list some albums that have been virtually forgotten. If it don't apply let it fly!
Ok, fine.

I couldn't do favorite lists as such myself. Like an "all inclusive" alltime thing, I mean. But I do find it easier to list ten albums from years I struggle to come up with ten great progressive albums in total.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 09:29
^ Hey, nobody follows the rules on these threads! Look at all the non-prog listed here LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 14:46
Hmm

Outer Limits - Scene of Pale Blue
Rubaja, Bernardo (as Rubaja and Hernandez) - High Plateaux 
Strawbs - Don't Say Goodbye 
David Sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive 

honorable mentions
Clannad - Sirius
Sagrado Coracao da Terra-Flecha
Tangerine Dream - Tyger

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 15:40
The best album of 1987 is The Bears debut. 

Others...
Pat Metheny Group - Still Life (Talking)
Phil Miller - Cutting Both Ways
Bill Bruford Earthworks - s/t
Chick Corea Elektric Band - Light Years
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 23:48

Clutching at Straws - Marillion

Barren Dream - Mr. Sirius

Sand - Allan Holdsworth

The Power of Suggestion - Giraffe

Still Life (Talking) - Pat Metheny Group

Earthworks - Bill Bruford’s Earthworks

Secrets of the Beehive - David Sylvian

Violeta de Outono - Violeta de Outono

Wake Up in the Sun - Bernd Kistenmacher

A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Pink Floyd

The roughest year so far, for me. I may be stretching it a bit with David Sylvian.

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 20:18
Thule- Ultima Thule
David Sylvian- Secrets Of The Beehive
Gamalan- Gamalan
Thinking Plague- Moonsongs
When- Drowning But Learning
Art Zoyd- Berlin
Violeta De Outono- Violeta De Outono
David Torn- Cloud About Mercury
Phil Miller- Cutting It Both Ways
Marillion- Clutching At Straws

"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 06:18

^ Hey, nobody follows the rules on these threads! Look at all the non-prog listed here LOL

What is "prog"?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12