Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

False information about VdGG in an article

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: False information about VdGG in an article
    Posted: November 12 2021 at 12:27
I just read an article in which Bruce Dickinson explained why he loves VdGG. In this article he said: "“I have to confess there’s a bit of a nod to VDGG on [Maiden’s 2006 album] A Matter Of Life And Death. On Brighter Than A Thousand Suns there’s a line that goes: 'Whatever would Robert have said to his God/About how we made war with the sun.” And there’s a track called Whatever Would Robert Have Said on VDGG’s The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other".

This is commented by the author of the article with the words "the 'Robert' in question is J. Robert Oppenheimer, the so-called father of the atomic bomb". This is however wrong, at least for VdGG (for Iron Maiden it is true); the Robert in question with them is Robert J. Van de Graaff who invented the generator that is named after him; the line "Flame sucks between the balls of steel" clearly refers to his apparatus.

Edited by BaldFriede - November 12 2021 at 12:32

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 18:41
I had no idea. Thank you for posting this.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2021 at 20:29
I read that article too and thought the same thing!!! Good for Bruce though. The members of Iron Maiden grew up listening to some good records...
The Prog Corner
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 04:02

(From xkcd.com)

Edited by Lewian - November 14 2021 at 04:04
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2021 at 07:34
Hi,

Not sure about this one, but sometimes I think that we look for more than it is really there. It's nice to know that BD liked/likes VdGG (or PH), but it didn't help him do his own stuff any better. 

I would suggest he did not learn very well, since I do not think that much of Iron Maiden's work. Nice, but then, so are many others!

Edited by moshkito - November 14 2021 at 19:35
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 08:58
Funny, when I was a kid exploring VDGG I always thought the Robert named in the song was Fripp. Maybe I should have become a journalist...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
 Post Reply Post Reply