Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Rock, a part of a certain culture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 04:20
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

^ I find the questions interesting, but not much hope for an answer based in the interactions of a small sample of subjects (PA members). It's interesting to get to know each other opinions, but that can't be taken as representing a whole culture.

NO!, of course not, it's just to get a bit more knowledgeable about and become more aware of the topic, and I must say, I was hoping for some better results than those so far. Smile

Besides that, I have the impression that your understanding of the topic and my method is otherwise than my intention with it, so each of us somehow have been talking and thinking about something else than the other one. But I guess, there's not much point in try to correct it. 

Edited by David_D - February 09 2022 at 04:11
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 04:31
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

.. each subgenre has its own way of going about defining what this “high degree of musicality” means, and it is highly subjective. .... The overall sound of each subgenre is … typically… different.
To answer your question, while a high degree of musicality is a unifying theme within Prog, Prog itself is not defined only on that basis. It is, after all, a form of rock music.

Okay, Jaketejas, I find Rock elements in Prog being very important, and unifying element of the different sub-genres, but as I just wrote in "my" prog defining blog:

"The term "a third stream" would be very appropriate if to consider Prog not just as a part of the Rock genre but including as well parts of the other "main genres" included in my definition.

I guess that is the best choice, and it fits very well with using the term "meta-genre". 

When that is said, the Rock culture can be still considered as a very important element of Prog culture, at least if using the Prog definition I've proposed. 

Edited by David_D - February 12 2022 at 07:57
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 09:21
I agree with you! I meant Prog as being the typical abbreviation for Progressive Rock as found in PA, but I absolutely agree 100% with you that progressive music can be found in many genres outside of Prog Rock. Good point.
Progressive music can even be found within rock - beyond what is defined here as Prog Rock. But, Prog Rock as defined by PA is still a good definition, because to make a website, the fuzzy line has to be drawn somewhere.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 09:47

I agree with you! I meant Prog as being the typical abbreviation for Progressive Rock as found in PA, but I absolutely agree 100% with you that progressive music can be found in many genres outside of Prog Rock. Good point.

Well, that doesn't make it worse, Jaketejas. Smile

And sorry for you suddenly became "Jaketekas" in "my" Prog defining blog, I've corrected it by now - even I can tell that Jaketekas doesn't sound bad either in my ears, but then I don't know the reason of your choosing Jaketejas. Ermm

Edited by David_D - February 12 2022 at 09:54
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 10:24
Name wise it is about current location blended with the old Caddo name, which means friend.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 03:31
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

To answer your question, while a high degree of musicality is a unifying theme within Prog, Prog itself is not defined only on that basis. It is, after all, a form of rock music.
When that is said, the Rock culture can be still considered as a very important element of Prog culture, at least if using the Prog definition I've proposed. 

Jake, can you maybe say something particularly about the Rock culture which can be said to be a part of the Prog culture, as well? 

Edited by David_D - February 22 2022 at 08:22
Liverskaya View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liverskaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2022 at 06:57
I believe many people when thinking about music, consider the melody and its lyrics. However, it's much more. One of the most important detail is https://www.amworldgroup.com/music-pr. Everything depends on how well it's promoted and who sings it. For example, if a very popular artist releases a new song, the song automatically has a lot of streams. On the other hand, if a new artist tries to release a song, it will be harder to become popular, even if it's better. That's why it's crucial to choose the right people and companies to work with.

Edited by Liverskaya - March 01 2022 at 09:57
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2022 at 05:25

It showed to be advertising.

Edited by David_D - March 06 2022 at 16:00
Jackal3000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2022 at 10:33
(A little late to the party here.)

There are Prog communities, anyway. Loose ones. Like in the US, there's a sort of  East Coast Prog community. There are many people I've known for 25 years, from going to concerts and festivals, and a lot of these are the same people I've also been chatting with online for as long, on BBS's, Usenet, Facebook, etc.

So if there's a subculture(s), there's SORT OF a community(s) for it to exist in. But I think the only attributes we share aside from a love of Prog, are geography and our general ages (that's pretty important really, as our ages are sort of why we do have a lot of things in common: stage of life, family, health, career, etc.).

I don't think there's much more that defines us that we generally share, but those things are enough to foster a sense of community, and friendship.

(BTW, the Geography is very different for different people in the same area. That is, some people on the East Coast travel to Europe for concerts quite often, and some don't, so the size of our "Prog worlds" can vary a great deal.)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2022 at 13:48

Your post is very interesting and good to hear, Jackal, and my very welcome to you in PA Forums, as you don't seem 
to have been much active so far.

Then I have a big request. Could you maybe please change your avatar, as it's the same as mine and I'm very used to mine, 
so it has became like a part of my person. Therefore it's quite confusing for me to see you using it. I'd be very grateful if 
you could do that. Smile

I might be back and ask you something about this community, and I'd be happy if you could tell some more about it.

Edited by David_D - March 06 2022 at 15:55
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2022 at 03:53
This is a great thread to read through. 

If you ask me I think prog and all the many musical styles it encompasses appeals to a culture that appreciates those styles and artists who don't fit the mainstream or "pop music" mould.  That's why we're here connecting with each other through our shared enjoyment of this wonderful genre. 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2022 at 04:34
Originally posted by Rottenprogger Rottenprogger wrote:

This is a great thread to read through. 

I'm glad to hear that, as some have been sceptical about it - and it has got really many views, too.

Originally posted by Rottenprogger Rottenprogger wrote:

If you ask me I think prog and all the many musical styles it encompasses appeals to a culture that appreciates those styles and artists who don't fit the mainstream or "pop music" mould.  That's why we're here connecting with each other through our shared enjoyment of this wonderful genre. 

This is quite obvious and yet very good to point at, Rottenprogger. We could call it the listeners'/fans' wish for reaching "beyond mainstream", and it can be seen as an expression of progressive culture which corresponds to the progressive character of the music.

And that can be of course said about the musicians, as well.

Edited by David_D - March 12 2022 at 07:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567