Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progger or non-progger?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: What is your answer if using my definition?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [60.81%]
7 [9.46%]
22 [29.73%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 12:24
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I certainly understand your present problem, and can say that I in my very young days often bought music if I liked the cover, and often with good result.

A few years ago, I got the self-titled album by Helium Horse Fly because of the cover:

The striking nature of the cover art suggests music that is quite bleak, and bleak it is. It's about what the artwork is saying rather than how visually appealing it is. I tend to avoid albums with artwork that says "metal music" or "folky symphonic prog", even if the artwork itself is quite impressive.

In the last quite a lot of years, I've searched for new-to-me-music by means of lists with high rated albums - but that presumed searching by specific genres.

I've gotten quite a few albums because they are highly rated or mentioned quite a lot on PA. For example, at the time I discovered Änglagård - Hybris, it was the 12th album in the all-time top 100 list. They were the highest rated artist that I'd never heard of, and I felt the need to rectify that. And I got Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere because it made it to very high in the top 100 list shortly after its release.

So, all I can say is that there are many different possibilities for finding new music, and one must think about it and find own way which gives good result.

I've found music by a wide variety of means. For example, I found Kingston Wall - III Tri-Logy because I was looking for a particular version of the song "The Real Thing", and came across Kingston Wall's track of the same name, which was not what I was looking for, but a find nevertheless.

Anyway, good luck with it, and I must say, I'm impressed with the very good quality of your writing. Smile

Thank you. Smile

By the way, if that could have your interest as a possible help, I could send you the list of my collection which is written in Word (about 450 albums). I can at least say that it's to high degree a list of old and newer classics and high rated albums from many countries and covering many different genres, Prog being though the main one. If so, send me a private message.

Thanks for the offer, but no.

One reason I'm searching Bandcamp is that if I find something I like, I know a high-quality copy is available to be purchased, whereas if I find music elsewhere, there is no guarantee that it will be available to me. Over the past few years, I've been finding it increasingly difficult to get the music I want. Bandcamp is great for music that is there, but a lot of albums are not on Bandcamp, and even artists that are on Bandcamp do not necessarily have all their albums there.

Also, finding music to listen to is easy. There really is an abundance of music on the internet. The hard part is selecting the very small amount of music to listen to from all the other music that is to be dismissed without trial. What is the basis for the selection?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 14:05
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

The striking nature of the cover art suggests music that is quite bleak, and bleak it is. It's about what the artwork is saying rather than how visually appealing it is. I tend to avoid albums with artwork that says "metal music" or "folky symphonic prog", even if the artwork itself is quite impressive.

I've never been able to analyse the artwork as good as you do it here, but it has often been like that if I liked the cover there was a good possibility for that I liked the music.

More comments follow. Smile 

Edited by David_D - February 05 2022 at 14:08
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 14:14

I've gotten quite a few albums because they are highly rated or mentioned quite a lot on PA. For example, at the time I discovered Änglagård - Hybris, it was the 12th album in the all-time top 100 list. They were the highest rated artist that I'd never heard of, and I felt the need to rectify that. And I got Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere because it made it to very high in the top 100 list shortly after its release.

I've experienced that my musical taste is quite in line with the by many high rated albums but I guess that can be rather different from one person to another, so one have to see how it is for oneself. And then there is this question if one is impressed with high rated albums/newer and older classics, or if one is more happy with more or less obscure music. 

Edited by David_D - February 05 2022 at 14:18
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 14:17
Most certainly a progger. Not exclusively, but most of my music at least can be tied in that direction. Prog rock has become such a huge umbrella that being a progger can mean you listen to a huge variety of genres.

I like that I also find a lot of good music in here that is not prog.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 14:42

I've found music by a wide variety of means. For example, I found Kingston Wall - III Tri-Logy because I was looking for a particular version of the song "The Real Thing", and came across Kingston Wall's track of the same name, which was not what I was looking for, but a find nevertheless.

Yes, many things like that can happen, and that is one of the wonders and beauties of life and very good to remember. Tongue

I can actually tell you that it has been difficult for me to find new-to-me music for some years now, so it has become an rather exiting question how it will happen the next time. And right now I'm virtually stuck and even don't really feel like bother to try to find something. But what I right now then do, is just to listen to all my collection, and I'm really happy with it; because I've always somehow been stressed with my new purchases, so I felt like that I should hurry up with listening to the old ones, so I could listen to the new ones. But I don't have to do that now, so I can listen to all my "precious" albums with good peace on my mind.
And then I wonder what will happen next Ermm - which is exiting.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 14:59

I've never been able to analyse the artwork as good as you do it here, but it has often been like that if I liked the cover there was a good possibility for that I liked the music.

I can tell that two of the albums I remember, I've got that way is Tubular Bells and Birds of Fire, and I knew nothing of Oldfield and Mahavishnu at that time, which was mid-70's. - And I've been very fond of these two albums more or less ever since (except from the 80's though).

Actually, I'm fascinated by that artwork can so well express music, so it can be a bit like hear the music when seeing the artwork. What do you say? Question - But then, I have the impression that this ability of artwork was much better in the 70's than it has been in the last many years.

Edited by David_D - February 05 2022 at 15:49
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 16:03

Also, finding music to listen to is easy. There really is an abundance of music on the internet. The hard part is selecting the very small amount of music to listen to from all the other music that is to be dismissed without trial. What is the basis for the selection?

Well, one possibility as mentioned is that which has been highly rated by many others.

Anyway, good luck again. Smile

Edited by David_D - February 05 2022 at 16:36
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 02:06

I can tell that two of the albums I remember, I've got that way is Tubular Bells and Birds of Fire, and I knew nothing of Oldfield and Mahavishnu at that time, which was mid-70's. - And I've been very fond of these two albums more or less ever since (except from the 80's though).

Actually, I'm fascinated by that artwork can so well express music, so it can be a bit like hear the music when seeing the artwork. What do you say? Question - But then, I have the impression that this ability of artwork was much better in the 70's than it has been in the last many years.

It's okay now to get a bit out off topic while waiting for more votes. Tongue

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 06:03

thanks refreshment
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 06:06

thanks refreshment

bumping your thread after just 2 days? LOL
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 06:12
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

thanks refreshment

special thanks to you then, Cristi  Big smile 

Edited by David_D - February 08 2022 at 06:12
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 06:12

thanks refreshment

special thanks to you then, Cristi  Big smile 

wait, why? LOL
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 08:32

wait, why? LOL

I refreshed the thread mainly with the purpose to thank the participiants - I wrote thanks both in the title and my OP. Big smile
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2022 at 12:22
I had to go with "Can't really say". I'm interested in many different kinds of music, and I wouldn't try to choose one above the others.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 01:33
progger
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234