Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magenta/Chimpan A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magenta/Chimpan A
    Posted: March 04 2022 at 04:55
For today only (4th March) you can get 3 Magenta CDs for £20 and 2 Chimpan A CDs for £10 at the Magenta Bandcamp page.

And it's Bandcamp Friday.

Edited by chopper - March 04 2022 at 04:58
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2022 at 05:24
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

For today only (4th March) you can get 3 Magenta CDs for £20 and 2 Chimpan A CDs for £10 at the Magenta Bandcamp page.

Alan, thanks so very much for pointing this out; I've just splashed out on the Magenta trio; nice to have the hard copies for what is an excellent price... very much appreciated!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2022 at 06:02
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Alan, thanks so very much for pointing this out; I've just splashed out on the Magenta trio; nice to have the hard copies for what is an excellent price... very much appreciated!

You're very welcome sir. I can recommend the Chimpan A ones as well, I splashed out on them. Haven't heard the first one much but the second one is brilliant.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 10:44
A funny thing happened yesterday Alan, not only did I buy the above bundle, but a guy on ebay was auction selling Revolutions, Seven, Home & New York Suite. Bizarrely, no-one bidded against me and I picked them up for an absolute steal, when normally the early ones are quite expensive. I own a (signed) copy of Metamorphosis and recently bought the new one, so I now have the set, with a lot of listening ahead so I decided to leave the Chimpan A albums for another time.

My relationship with Magenta has been less than stellar I'm afraid; I have seen them live on a couple of occasions, and have listened to quite a lot of their music on and off over the years, but have never splashed out on their albums and given them the listening time they have always deserved, so it is time to put this straight....

Something similar could be said about Mostly Autumn, but that's another story... Embarrassed 

Edited by Jared - March 05 2022 at 10:46
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 10:50

A funny thing happened yesterday Alan, not only did I buy the above bundle, but a guy on ebay was auction selling Revolutions, Seven, Home & New York Suite. Bizarrely, no-one bidded against me and I picked them up for an absolute steal, when normally the early ones are quite expensive. I own a (signed) copy of Metamorphosis and recently bought the new one, so I now have the set, with a lot of listening ahead so I decided to leave the Chimpan A albums for another time.

My relationship with Magenta has been less than stellar I'm afraid; I have seen them live on a couple of occasions, and have listened to quite a lot of their music on and off over the years, but have never splashed out on their albums and given them the listening time they have always deserved, so it is time to put this straight....

Something similar could be said about Mostly Autumn, but that's another story... Embarrassed 
Well, good luck with your Magenta listening marathon Jared. I've got Seven and Home and they're both excellent albums. I recently bought a double CD of their singles and got a free Chimpan A CD to go with it. There are still a few Magenta albums I need to check out.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 11:06
Thanks! Metamorphosis is really excellent.. you'll love it as the longies have shades of Yes in the instrumental passages.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 12:50

Thanks! Metamorphosis is really excellent.. you'll love it as the longies have shades of Yes in the instrumental passages.

those 2 Chimpan A albums really threw me for a loop, though not exactly prog in the severest sense, the electronic wizardry and the AMAZING vocals from Balsamo are well worth the trouble. Big smile

Edited by tszirmay - March 05 2022 at 12:51
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 13:04
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

those 2 Chimpan A albums really threw me for a loop, though not exactly prog in the severest sense, the electronic wizardry and the AMAZING vocals from Balsamo are well worth the trouble. Big smile

Thanks for your imput Thomas, that's good to know; I will certainly bear it in mind for a future stage, after I have become fully acquainted with Magenta.. Smile
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 13:05
the first Chimpan A album is absolutely excellent.  The second is almost as good, although it took about six listens for me to get into
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2022 at 01:10
What surprises me is PA's 2.42 after 22 ratings for the 1st album. Just goes to show, you need to check everything out for yourself...
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2022 at 04:57
Just like with pretty much everything, prog has either very panoramic mindsets, open to any styles that go beyond the formulaic or the more dogmatic purists who discard anything that does not fit within their self-imposed concept. I have quite a few albums that were not rated highly here and yet are absolutely brilliant (and prog, like it or not). Chimpan A is a fine example of a 2.42 that could be a 4.42 for some listeners. 
Tastes are not debatable....
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2022 at 06:07

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is Bandcamp Friday exactly? Is it an occasional day where certain bands take the opportunity to discount some of their merchandise?
 Post Reply Post Reply