Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Software to manage media collection?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamessavik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Software to manage media collection?
    Posted: April 10 2022 at 22:31
I've got a ton of LPs and CDs and I need something to manage them. Looking around the net, there are a few dedicated to CDs or DVDs.

Can anyone recommend a good database to keep track of all my LPS, CDs and DVDs?

The spreadsheet is getting a little cumbersome.
There might have been things I missed
But don't be unkind
It don't mean I'm blind
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 05:19
Discogs ?

I find Excel works just fine for my collection.
Separate tabs for each media, LP, CD, Cassette & Digital Files with a last one for entire physical collection (LP, CD, Cassette combined).
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 06:01
I would say Discogs if you're happy to keep it online, you can just scan in bar codes. The only problem is working out which release you actually have out of the multitude it sometimes comes up with. The other advantage is it will value your collection as well - that's how I found out my Flower Kings box set was my most valuable CD.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 06:38
I use Progfreak.com - Progressive Music Ratings & Reviews - Rock, Metal, Jazz and Other Genres for my on-line database.  It used to be more popular around here, but I am the only user that uses it regularly anymore.  The collabs use it for tracking new editions.   

I also have created an Access database to track all of my media, although I tend to fall behind on that and have to have catch-up sessions.  

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 07:25
I've been using Rate Your Music (https://rateyourmusic.com/). Like Discogs, you need to narrow it down to the specific issue you own. Because this is a shared online database, adding a new issue or album isn't too hard, but there are a lot of rules you have follow (including complicated capitalization and formatting rules for adding track names). Editing existing entries or adding/editing bands is a time-consuming effort because these need to be approved by an admin. RYM seems like it was designed by "catalogers" for "catalogers," not unlike library land where I'm all too familiar with lengthy, complicated, and sometimes cumbersome standards (it's part of my real life job) -- thus I'm naturally attracted to this site being a database nerd of sorts.

Otherwise, if you're really looking to control your data in minute detail and none of the online databases meet these needs, Excel or Access seem like reasonable options. If these are unaffordable, OpenOffice (https://www.openoffice.org/) is a reasonable alternative (it's free and open source software), though it doesn't have as many bells and whistles as Microsoft's products. Alternately, you can also use the Google Sheets application on Google Drive, so that you can access your spreadsheet anywhere (helps if you're out in the wild and find something you want to buy, but not sure if you already have it).

Edited by progaardvark - April 11 2022 at 07:37
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
jamessavik View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamessavik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 09:56
Thanks! I've gotten started on Discogs. It has the advantage of being able to buy and sell some hard to find things, I've always wanted!
There might have been things I missed
But don't be unkind
It don't mean I'm blind
 Post Reply Post Reply