Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How important were album covers in your purchases?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How important were album covers in your purchases?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2022 at 11:34
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

^ The graph pretty much proves my point, or, at least, what I meant by secondary. There are really only a couple of years where cassettes were dramatically outselling either vinyl or CD. For many years cassette and vinyl sales are not greatly dissimilar, and as vinyl declines, CD sales take off. The death of the cassette occurs quickly because it is secondary. Cassettes only benefit were their portability, and as soon as CDs gave the portability of cassettes and quality of playback of vinyl, they really had no appeal.

As for blank tapes, they continued to sell loooooong after cassettes themselves had lost their market. We all, I’m sure, had hundreds of blank tapes from the cassette era - of albums copied from friends, and recorded from the radio, etc. But even after people stopped buying cassettes, and started buying CDs, there were still quite a few years where blank tapes were still bought - only now it was to copy not just albums from friends, but our own albums on CDs. Because early portable CD players were stupidly expensive, and prone to skipping; and very few cars had CD players unless one was specially installed - again with early models being very expensive and prone to skipping. It would be some time before anti-jogging technology had advanced, and car CD players were common enough, that the blank tape market would dry up - even while it was almost impossible to buy a new album on cassette!

I guess I misunderstand your term "secondary market", to me that means sold on the used market. You mean it it was a second choice to vinyl in the 70's/80's........?
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2022 at 15:25
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

The artwork has always been very important to me, as I've thought of albums as a kind of multimedia - not least LP's. 
Besides that, I've seen throughout the years that if I like the cover, the probability for I'll like the music is much larger.
It's a bit like I can perceive the music looking at the cover, and imo that's not least the purpose of good artwork.

The covers have meant a lot to me, and still do, not only due to the artwork but also as physical objects which can look very well-made and be nice to keep in hands. 

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 06:43
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

In Central America, it was really hard to get prog music, so whenever my friends and I had a chance to get an album, inside the sleve there was a paper cover for the record (not all the time though). We could find many albums/bands that looked interesting, going by the printing in these covers. Sometimes, we would order albums just because the covers looked nice to us, or somebody would travel to the USA or have a friend/relative who lived there, and we would get the music using this method. Many bands, like Genesis, PFM, Grobschnitt, faust, and others, where known to us this way. 

Do you remember DIDECA LP's, or where those around in your country? They were made here in Guatemala, but they only had the cover and not even those paper covers you speak of! I really hated them. There was only one or two record stores in the whole Guatemala City where you could find some good imports from the US and Europe.
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 07:07
Not at all, album covers and what they look like are just a bonus.    Its the actual music thats important.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 09:47

But for those of us who lived in a time before the accessibility and availability of the internet, it was a very different world. Some record stores did have listening posts, but by no means all. And even those that had listening posts did not always offer a choice of what to listen to. So sometimes one might buy something without hearing anything on it prior, or maybe having heard only one song from it elsewhere giving an indication of how the album might sound (which was often found afterwards to be not particularly representative of the whole).

The only time I was drawn to an album purely by the cover was a random spotting on a listening post in the Virgin music store back in the day - gave it a brief listen whilst I was there and purchased it immediately. It's still a favourite album of mine, if a somewhat lesser known (but excellent) work from the New Age genre.

https://www.discogs.com/master/148739-Caroline-Lavelle-Spirit

Having said that back in the day I was always drawn to anything with a cover by Roger Dean or Hipgnosis (with varying degrees of satisfaction once listening to the enclosed disc).
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 06:43
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

But for those of us who lived in a time before the accessibility and availability of the internet, it was a very different world. 
So sometimes one might buy something without hearing anything on it prior, or maybe having heard only one song from it elsewhere giving an indication of how the album might sound (which was often found afterwards to be not particularly representative of the whole).

The only time I was drawn to an album purely by the cover was a random spotting on a listening post in the Virgin music store back in the day - gave it a brief listen whilst I was there and purchased it immediately. It's still a favourite album of mine, if a somewhat lesser known (but excellent) work from the New Age genre.

(snip)
Hi,

As time went by, I would say that by 1980, we did not have to go by the cover a whole lot. We were already quite well versed in/around music from Europe, and even Japan, and essentially we did not need to wait for the "editorial" cover by Hipgnosis to tell us how good something is/was.

By then, I was already on a different idea ... and about the only folks I followed (religiously!!!) was Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Vangelis, Ange, Banco, PFM, AD2, Can, PH/VdGG and so on, which kinda made "chasing" records and material out there kinda silly ... besides the fact that American music lost its "Fillmore" touch, and became almost exclusively radio minded, now that (by 1980) the corporate rapists had bought out all the FM stations to make sure there were no independents out there "stealing" their sales! 

(PS: It's still hard to believe that folks discussing "progressive" still don't want to hear about that, and how it closed down the "imports" so fast ... which made it look like "progressive" died. It didn't die ... but it was not as easy getting some of the materials, when almost all of them were "imports" again, and we were lucky that we had a couple of super record stores and providers that made sure we could get the stuff.)

But covers, were kinda "done" and the music was not showing itself "better" than before, and all of a sudden we got the cover star bands ... and it was time to let it go for the new music instead!

Edited by moshkito - May 13 2022 at 06:45
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 19:53
I began to be intrigued by album cover art as I drove in and around the lake.
Mostly I would buy albums for their art if pigs flew or heads rolled.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123