Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Prog Rock Trivia Book

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Prog Rock Trivia Book
    Posted: May 01 2022 at 07:52
Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to introduce a new publication that I hope will meet with everyone's support and approval. Tired of not seeing progressive rock questions included in various trivia games and books, I decided that, since there was no Prog Rock trivia book out there, that I should write and publish one myself. The result, The Prog Rock Trivia Book, is now available on Amazon on all the various Amazon sites (link the US site here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YQT4WSB)

The product description I put up on Amazon:

Who thanked Jethro Tull for not releasing an album in a year that they actually did release an album?

Which progressive rock band invited a key member to join the group after they discovered him living in a cave?

Which progressive rock artist is related to Darth Vader?

The answers to these questions and more can be found in this, the first trivia book which focuses on progressive rock. The book features over 530 questions on all things “Prog”, including questions on such famous musical artists as
Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Rush, Emerson Lake and Palmer, The Alan Parson Project, Styx, Supertramp, Mike Oldfield, Frank Zappa, and many more. The book also covers more recent highly successful progressive rock artists such as The Mars Volta, Opeth and Porcupine Tree. Written by Progressive Rock music expert Gian-Luca Di Rocco, this book contains sections on progressive rock artists not just from the UK and North America but also from Germany, Italy, the rest of continental Europe, and the rest of the world. The book also includes special chapters on progressive rock in television and films, along with trivia related to progressive rock albums, tracks, lyrics and concerts, and a selection of some of the most interesting, bizarre and hilarious progressive rock-related quotes.
There is a free preview of the book available on Amazon so that people can see what it looks like. The book has 10 categories of questions, each divided into two "sides". Side One, the questions, is entitled "Answers? Questions!" and Side Two, the Answers, is naturally entitled "Questions? Answers!". (I trust people will be familiar with the reference there. Wink)
If you have any questions about the book, please feel to ask them, I'll do my best to answer here. Thanks!
I've authored the first-ever Prog Rock Murder Mystery. Available in ebook and paperback format at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NKWGJ3S
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 09:15
Cool. looks like a fun book.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 09:33
1 - That would be Lars Ulrich
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Progrocco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 09:26
A heads up that the book is now finally available in paperback in Canada - for some reason, Amazon Canada took a week longer than every other market (the US, UK, Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Australia and even Japan) to make it available in paperback. I'm not sure if this is because I am from Canada and they wanted to annoy a fellow Canadian for some reason or perhaps there is a punk rocker or former rock critic working at Amazon Canada who is still bitter that the Prog genre was never killed off as they had hoped. Wink

In any event, although the book is also available on Kindle & in Ebook formats, I think paperback is the format which will probably work best because readers will no doubt be flipping back and forth between the Questions & Answer sections of the book (I believe you can do this with the Ebook version by clicking on the table of contents links, but I suspect it will still be easier to do this with the book in your hands).
I've authored the first-ever Prog Rock Murder Mystery. Available in ebook and paperback format at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NKWGJ3S
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 09:58
Originally posted by Progrocco Progrocco wrote:

A heads up that the book is now finally available in paperback in Canada - for some reason, Amazon Canada took a week longer than every other market (the US, UK, Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Australia and even Japan) to make it available in paperback. I'm not sure if this is because I am from Canada and they wanted to annoy a fellow Canadian for some reason or perhaps there is a punk rocker or former rock critic working at Amazon Canada who is still bitter that the Prog genre was never killed off as they had hoped. Wink

Amazon Canada are a bigger punch of dickheads than all the other Amazon combined. They're more expensive in their postal envoys, sell you second hand for new stuff and refuse to refund. And then they withdraw reviews that denounce their mideeds.

Hope Putin bombs the f**k of those crooks. 

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Sour grapes after losing out for the Grammy's best metal album. LOL

2- Jamie Muir - by the time they went to Germany's Beat Club broadcast , he still wasn't used to wearing something else than furs. Wink
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Progrocco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 09:43
Jamie Muir isn't the correct answer for #2, but not a bad guess since he did indeed dress as though he'd just come off the set of co-starring with Raquel Welch in One Million Years B.C. LOL

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 10:46
I thought #2 was somebody in Gong.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Progrocco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 08:23
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I thought #2 was somebody in Gong.

You may well think that - I couldn't possibly comment. Wink

On another note, I am pleased to see that my little book has received its first user review on Amazon & thankfully  it is a positive one. As its brief enough, I will reproduce it here in its entirety:

"The back cover of The Prog Rock Trivia Book identifies the author as an expert in progressive rock. If you have any doubts, read this book and you will be convinced! Di Rocco avoids the obvious questions and digs deep into the world of progressive rock history, mining details of the band members, albums, songs, unusual connections to other other media, and so much more. In what country did the Jethro Tull album "The Broadsword and the Beast" achieve its highest chart position? Read the book and find out!
Did you know that Steeleye Span singer Maddy Prior is the daughter of Allan Prior, who wrote scripts for the classic British space opera tv series Blake's 7? Well, now you know! (That's the one spoiler I give you at no cost) This and so much more awaits you in this enjoyable volume. I learned a lot about a subject in which I thought I was pretty knowledgeable. Great fun to read on your own or to have someone else quiz you (as I did). A must for fans of this often misunderstood musical genre."
Progrocco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 05:13
My little book has picked up a mostly positive review by the good folks at the Dutch progressive rock page:

Edited by Progrocco - June 30 2022 at 05:14
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 07:17
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I was going to say Metallica but your answer is obviously much more accurate. I don't know the answers to the other two questions though.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 02:44

My little book has picked up a mostly positive review by the good folks at the Dutch progressive rock page:

Congratulations!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 16:48
Congratulations... This is something I want, and I really like helping artists who are in my circle. I'd consider myself a veteran of Amazon publishing, and I can tell you that just a handful of sales simultaneously (or within a close period of time) would lift your rating from #6,000 in Rock books a LOT higher, which will hopefully get you more exposure, especially if you crack the Top 100 - it's better than advertising.

Anyone else planning on buying this? I was going to get the kindle, and might have to wait until tomorrow before I have the money on my pre-paid debit card, but wouldn't mind waiting a few days if we can organize a publicity buy :)
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Progrocco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2022 at 01:00
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Congratulations... This is something I want, and I really like helping artists who are in my circle. I'd consider myself a veteran of Amazon publishing, and I can tell you that just a handful of sales simultaneously (or within a close period of time) would lift your rating from #6,000 in Rock books a LOT higher, which will hopefully get you more exposure, especially if you crack the Top 100 - it's better than advertising.

Anyone else planning on buying this? I was going to get the kindle, and might have to wait until tomorrow before I have the money on my pre-paid debit card, but wouldn't mind waiting a few days if we can organize a publicity buy :)

Cheers! If you have bought it, thank you very much!

Also, that's interesting information about how Amazon publishing works. This book has picked up a flurry of sales in the past week - I'm not entirely sure why, I thought maybe it was being discussed here or something, but I guess I am not complaining. Wink I guess Amazon has got the word out somehow.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2022 at 03:44

I'd consider myself a veteran of Amazon publishing...

Also, that's interesting information about how Amazon publishing works. This book has picked up a flurry of sales in the past week...
Congratulations on those sales Progrocco!!

May I ask you something, first of all, are you the sellers of the books, or only the authors? In my case I'm only the author, the books are printed and sold by Amazon, I'm not involved in shipping the books or anything. I just receive a small comission for each book sold (1.27 euros per book out of a retail price of 28.50 euros).

Do you have any way of contacting Amazon as the authors of the books? I need to contact them for a couple of issues but I have tried every possible way and I only receive bot answers or non-answers by stupid employees who do not understand my questions.

For one thing my book was originally classified by mistake as "Essays and Correspondence" not as "Rock Music books", so I'm afraid it's not getting the exposure it should to potential buyers. I have tried to ask Amazon to change this but there's no way...

Secondly, my book is all-colour pages with pictures in all pages so the printing quality is of paramount importance, but I have received complaints from some buyers that Amazon shipped them a very poor quality printed book. I have also tried to complain to Amazon about this without any results...

If you have any known way of contacting Amazon related to your published books, I would very much appreciate your advice!

Thanks and cheers!
Gerard
Progrocco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2022 at 15:41
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I'd consider myself a veteran of Amazon publishing...

Also, that's interesting information about how Amazon publishing works. This book has picked up a flurry of sales in the past week...
Congratulations on those sales Progrocco!!

May I ask you something, first of all, are you the sellers of the books, or only the authors? In my case I'm only the author, the books are printed and sold by Amazon, I'm not involved in shipping the books or anything. I just receive a small comission for each book sold (1.27 euros per book out of a retail price of 28.50 euros).

Do you have any way of contacting Amazon as the authors of the books? I need to contact them for a couple of issues but I have tried every possible way and I only receive bot answers or non-answers by stupid employees who do not understand my questions.

For one thing my book was originally classified by mistake as "Essays and Correspondence" not as "Rock Music books", so I'm afraid it's not getting the exposure it should to potential buyers. I have tried to ask Amazon to change this but there's no way...

Secondly, my book is all-colour pages with pictures in all pages so the printing quality is of paramount importance, but I have received complaints from some buyers that Amazon shipped them a very poor quality printed book. I have also tried to complain to Amazon about this without any results...

If you have any known way of contacting Amazon related to your published books, I would very much appreciate your advice!

Thanks and cheers!
Gerard

Hi Gerard,

I am just the author and self-publisher rather than someone listed as a third party seller on Amazon. Although I am from Canada, I published my book via the US self-publishing Kindle website (Kindle Direct Publishing) via Amazon since there isn't a Canadian version of the self-publishing website. The site I went to is: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200735480 I was able to classify the book as I wished to, rather than having Amazon classify it for me. I was able to make most publishing decisions of my own in terms of content, book size/page dimensions, book price etc. I assumed that was the case for anyone that used Kindle Direct Publishing, but maybe the different countries have different self-publishing websites on Amazon? It's difficult to say because I have only use the American website since Amazon ca doesn't have the self-publishing Kindle site of its own.

Other than the cover of my book (which is a photo I took at a Magma concert in Toronto about 5 years ago), my book is entirely in black and white so I don't have any experience with respect to colour publishing that I can share. I am assuming that publishing the book in colour would cause the price of the book to go up considerably vs. black and white - Amazon KDP allows you to set the price, but there are limits for print versions since they will insist on a minimum price to offset their printing costs, so you can't go any lower than this price (I think there is also a maximum price they cap the E-book versions at, for what reason I do not know).

As for contacting the publishing wing of Amazon (i.e. Kindle Direct Publishing - "KDP"), I have been able to do that on two occasions. I got the impression that KDP was a different company - perhaps a subsidiary of Amazon rather than Amazon itself. One of the times I called was to inquire/complain about amazon.com reducing the price of one of my other books (on Doctor Who, not prog rock) which I had not asked them to do. They told me that this was not KDP's decision but Amazon - they assured me that I would still get my full royalty if someone bought it at the much-lowered price. But I did at least reach someone. The contact information is in the link that I provided above - you have to click on "Contact us" and then go from there, there isn't a phone number that I can find, I believe if you press the "Call me" button they end up calling you. However, I am not sure if it works the same way through whatever version of Amazon that you went through. Anyway, hopefully this helps!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2022 at 03:45
Thanks Progrocco!

I did not use Kindle Direct Publishing for my book, here in Spain, so the proces was different.
At any rate thanks a lot for your advice and comments, I will try to contact Amazon again as per the link you posted.

Cheers and much success with your book!
Agata C.T View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agata C.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 15:16

Edited by Agata C.T - January 24 2023 at 15:28
 Post Reply Post Reply