Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Recommendations for someone who LOVES Subsignal???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommendations for someone who LOVES Subsignal???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 02:24
You sure have listened to Haken's Affinity, right? 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 03:05
Kalle Wallner (RPWL, Blind Ego) - Three (feat. Arno Menses)

dyerseve View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyerseve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 14:21
Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

You sure have listened to Haken's Affinity, right? 

I haven't really dived into Haken yet tbh.  I have quite a few of their albums but every time I try to digest I find the music doesn't quite hold my interest.  Long intros or something?  Not sure.  Need to go back.  Maybe I'm not judging them fairly as they do tick the boxes but just hasn't stuck with me for some reason.  What is essential song-wise to judge fairly?
dyerseve View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dyerseve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 14:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

this is solid!  thanks for the direct Clap
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 01:04
The essential song, in my opinion, is probably the one that least resemble Subsignal: 

I think that Affinity has the sound that may interest you the most:

PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 01:46
Originally posted by dyerseve dyerseve wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

this is solid!  thanks for the direct Clap
Kalle Wallner, number 1 of my top albums 2022 at that moment. Wink
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 09:26
Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

Drifting Sun, maybe? They are darker, but they are also catchy, you may like them: 

Thanks Alberto, that's not a bad recommendation for Subsignal fans... I knew the name, but had never checked them out before.. Clap
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 09:32
a few more bands:

Knight Area
Enchant
Pinkroom
Elephants Of Scotland
Frequency Drift
Hällas
Breathing Space
dyerseve View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dyerseve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2022 at 10:30
gonna try and listen to some of these great suggestions this week!  thanks all Thumbs Up
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 11:41
I have been listening to the last two albums by Caligula's Horse lately and I think that you should check them out. 
dyerseve View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyerseve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 20:32
I actually am somewhat familiar with Caligula's Horse...I have a couple of their albums but haven't listened in a while...do you recommend any in particular?
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 00:15
I thought I’d enjoy Caligula’s Horse, because I really liked Jim Greg’s previous band, Arcane.
CH has never hit me the same way Arcane did, though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 02:35
Originally posted by dyerseve dyerseve wrote:

I actually am somewhat familiar with Caligula's Horse...I have a couple of their albums but haven't listened in a while...do you recommend any in particular?
In that order, 2017/2015/2020/2013. 
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 02:53
I'm a massive fan of Subsignal, and given the recommendations thus far, it's made me appreciate their particular brand of crossover prog even more. Outside of Sieges Even's final album, nothing really comes close.
Wish I could have been of some help.

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

You might like to try a US band, Hourglass?

Just wanted to say that I'm happy to see somebody reference Hourglass. They're an amazing band that does a stellar job at balancing technicality and melody. While I haven't listened to their first album, their subsequent three releases all bring something different to the table, and each one shows the bass becoming even better than its previous outing.
dyerseve View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyerseve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 10:26
I will check those other albums out.  I think I have maybe the most recent two releases and def enjoy them when I've visited them...but, have to say, just not much equals the best Subsignal for me.  Some of their songs just don't get old!
dyerseve View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyerseve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 10:29
Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

Outside of Sieges Even's final album, nothing really comes close.
[QUOTE=Jared]You might like to try a US band, Hourglass?

100% agree.  Two good Siege albums...HATE the early ones, they are naff...but really just nothing in the world of x-over prog hits me like  the best Subsignal.  it's that emotional connection along with the complex yet very accessible melodies that just rules.  Really hope we see something new from them soon!

foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 17:30
Your enthusiasm reminds me that I've been meaning to write something about Beautiful & Monstrous, arguably their best and most unique work.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if their new album isn't released this year, but that's assuming nothing untoward occurs.
dyerseve View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyerseve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2022 at 08:54
Yep, that and Paraiso are the two clear giants among tall men.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12