Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nicely Done

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 01:45
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I made an Ultiamte Timeline of Metal Music beginning with proto-forms from the 50s and The Nice isn't on it.

Even without The Nice it's a Nice list (I've only looked at the first page so far). I've got a few suggestions that at least would have made my timeline:

First I noticed one obvious omission that you sort of got to include. Which is Love - Seven & Seven Is. A (for the year) lightning fast, sonic assault released in the summer of 1966. I dare say heavier and goes faster than any of the 1967 and 1968 inclusions on the list. As it was included in the "famous" Nuggets-series as well as several earlier compilations, it was quite influential for punks and metallers alike. It has since been covered by Alice Cooper, Ramones, Rush, Deep Purple...

As I notice you've included some bands and songs that are undeniably heavy (such as Icecross), but were hardly heard/discovered by anyone until decades later, you might want to consider this slice of thundering death metal with bagpipes from 1969. Cro-Magnon delivers the goods in the lyrical department too:

Fleetwood Mac you say? A bit of a one-off from them, but that riff is arguably heavier than anything on Led Zeppelins debut (released the same year). Listen, and find out exactly why Judas Priest covered The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown) a decade later

First slice of genuine Power Metal? I think so. I don't know what else could rival this 1970-banger:

I'd also consider either Dust's doomy From a Dry Camel  (it picks up in speed) or maybe the more Danzig-like Love Me Hard from their 1971-debut Hard Attack. Dust features Marc Bell aka Marky Ramone on drums btw. And he's really good.

-also Jerusalems self titled 1972 album - the whole thing really, but listen to Primitive Man I don't think you would have guessed early 1970's for this album, if you didn't know it*

(I've had my proto metal early heavy stuff-face attemnting to locate every overlooked gem on the planet - and could go on forever, but I'll stop here:)

*seems I'm not allowed to link to youtube but if you're curious, you got the bandnames and songtitles.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 30 2022 at 03:15
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 06:47
^ thanks, i'll check them out.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 06:49
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Mahavishnu, huh.  Interesting.   I certainly would say they were on the same influential level as the Nice, maybe even larger in the grand scheme of Rock as Art.

Well  you're theory is interesting. I'm sure there were some artists who were ignited by The Nice's energetic drive. Not sure it's provable but when any given artist provides a list of influences it's usually much larger and unexpected than many would guess. One thing IS for sure and that The Nice were very influential for prog.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 13:32
Rick Wakeman has said in various interviews etc about keyboard players vying for more volume and space to solo in a world dominated by guitarists (in fairness, much of what he said was regarding the rise of the synthesizer as a soloing 'tool') but he certainly recognised what he, and a couple of years befor,e Keith Emerson were up against particularly on stage. It certainly upped the ante regarding volume, use of distortion and any kind of effect you could squeeze out of a hammond and no doubt this did have an influence on the more dense sounding guitar based (perhaps less blues based) heavy bands such as Sabbath that came along.. 

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 18:26
^ Right

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12