Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Groovy Movies 4: A Fistful of Westerns

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is your favourite western?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [75.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [12.50%]
1 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Groovy Movies 4: A Fistful of Westerns
    Posted: June 18 2022 at 06:38
Classic westerns poll compiled from Video Hound's Guide to Groovy Movies, so don't blame me if it's Slim Pickens again. Tongue

4 stars 1974: Blazing Saddles
                 1968: Blue
                 1971: The Hired Hand
                 1971: The Last Movie
                 1970: Little Big Man
3 stars 1971: McCabe and Mrs. Miller - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGhRGjwxb_c
4 stars 1973: Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEOZpt2X4zU&t=6s

Only four full-length movie links currently available, but four of nine ain't bad - to paraphrase Meat Loaf. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 18 2022 at 06:48
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 06:49
Westerns just aren't my thing Paul... I did see Unforgiven at the cinema (back in about 1992) and saw the Leone stuff when I was young, but as a genre, it's just never appealed.

So, I'll patiently wait for Paul's 'Kitchen Sink full of Social Realism' poll... Approve
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 06:58
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Westerns just aren't my thing Paul... I did see Unforgiven at the cinema (back in about 1992) and saw the Leone stuff when I was young, but as a genre, it's just never appealed.

So, I'll patiently wait for Paul's 'Kitchen Sink full of Social Realism' poll... Approve
I would've voted for Unforgiven if it was in the poll, and on that note, it's unforgiveable that Video Hound didn't include any classic Clint Eastwood westerns in their Groovy Movies guide. Confused

As for a Kitchen Sink / Social Realism poll, that'll be coming up in the Angry Young Men drama category - no time soon. Tongue
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 07:06
Blazing Saddles no doubt.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 07:25
My daddy is a fan of the Western movies. But honestly, I cannot even count the names of 5 Western movies, even though I watched perhaps hundreds of them in my childhood and adolescence. They all were given Turkish names on TV, and we normally are/were not faithful in film and book title translations: We practically give them names with the purpose of attracting more attention. LOL

Edited by Archisorcerus - June 18 2022 at 07:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 07:28
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Blazing Saddles no doubt.

The same goes for me too, which puts me in the mood for a bean feast tonight, which won't be a problem as I live on my own. Tongue

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 07:58

Edited by JD - June 18 2022 at 08:07
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 08:06
Of the ones posted, it's Blazing Saddles hands down. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 08:29
The electric western "Zachariah" is worth watching just for the opening desert rock sequence alone! Thumbs Up

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 09:25
Hi,

Of all these, my favorite is not listed ... THE WILD BUNCH ... likely one of the best westerns ever made, and at the very least, one that was much more "real" than it was imaginary, or idealistic.

I like "McCabe and Mrs Miller" and it is a fine film, although I'm not sure it fits as a western. 

"Zachariah", and I  have to see it again, was supposed to be a satire, as was "Blazing Saddles" which fits as one of the best satires ever, along with "Dr. Strangelove" and such ... but as a satire, I'm not sure I would view it as a western ... not even sure why I think that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 12:08
Blazing Saddles is great fun, but for me the most interesting and original film from this list (I think I have seen all but Zachariah) is The Last Movie! When you have the opportunity, watch it!
(and I actually met Dennis Hopper when this film was shown as part of a retrospective of his work at the Rotterdam film festival, and he took some time to meet us film students and talk about cinema - a great moment!)

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 15:16
Blazing Saddles
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 16:04
Little Big Man is an excellent movie, particularly in regards to portraying Native Americans in a more realistic, sympathetic tone, while the U.S. cavalry are the actual villains, as well as showing the injustices and prejudices of the time period. Chief Dan George was hilarious.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply