Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

black midi - Central Park, July 24 2022

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: black midi - Central Park, July 24 2022
    Posted: July 24 2022 at 23:11
They've done it again. Fresh off the release of Hellfire, black midi have returned for a short jaunt through the Northeast that included a free show as part of NYC's Summerstage series. Despite the record breaking heat I made the pilgrimage to Central Park's concert venue to catch the ferocious live act once more... and found myself pleasantly surprised by the results.

After a couple opening acts - the comedian Sarah "Squirm" Sherman and the young lounge singer Sal Valentinetti - BM took the stage much as they did last October, billed as the Supercolossalheavyweight champions of the world and burning through "953", "Speedway", and "Welcome To Hell". Notably saxophonist Kaidi Akinnibi was absent from the show, leading to unique versions of the various tracks. Furthermore, as the set developed through more Hellfire cuts it became clear that the band wished to replicate more of their studio dynamics in their live performance. Instead of the breakneck interpretations that defined the first time I heard the new LP's songs these were mostly faithful renditions that simply boosted the louder, harder sections and improvised in different ways. This proved welcome both for the novelty and the extra breathing room from the moshing, with the heat lingering.

When the time came to perform the country-fried "Still" and "Eat Men Eat", Geordie Greep and Cameron Picton swapped instruments, and the band played short covers of LCD Soundsystem's "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House" and "Someone Great" before diving into the cuts. After swapping back the pace picked back up with "Chondromalacia Patella" and "John L" - alongside from being woodwindless versions, the home stretch of the latter broke down into a blues-inspired romp in the vein of the "Martin A" version of the song. BM then pulled out the non-album "Faster Amaranta" for the first time in months, and finished their set with the obligatory combo of "27 Questions" and "Slow". All in all, they knocked it out of the park again and gave me another unique experience.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 12:24
They are f**king amazing! I love Black midi and will want to see them again once they come around again!
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 12:25
Nice review, thanks. Awesome band.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
 Post Reply Post Reply