Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 new King Gizzard studio albums this october

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 new King Gizzard studio albums this october
    Posted: September 08 2022 at 04:36
Yep, just like in 2017, KGLW are doing another year with 5 albums (after march's Made In Timeland and april's Omnium Gatherum). They are:

-Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms And Lava (October 7th): A jammy double album based around the 7 greek modes

-Laminated Denim (October 12th): The sequel (prequel?) to Made In Timeland, again with two 15-minute tracks

-Changes (October 28th): An album '5 years in the making', with six different album covers

Like their previous 2022 releases, no CD versions sadly. The only track off these albums released so far is Ice V from IDPLM&L, and it sounds pretty good IMO.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 05:18
aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, only 3 albums?
How many albums in November? 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 05:44
They're certainly quite prolific. 
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 05:59
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

They have been known to slack off. They didn't release a single album in 2018, for instance.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 06:01
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

They have been known to slack off. They didn't release a single album in 2018, for instance.

they have such a gigantic discography already, I don't even know where to start. LOL
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 17:55

they have such a gigantic discography already, I don't even know where to start.

Nonagon Infinity
Polygondwanaland
Infest The Rats Nest

If you'd like these then continue, if not - don't bother
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 14:02
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

they have such a gigantic discography already, I don't even know where to start.

Nonagon Infinity
Polygondwanaland
Infest The Rats Nest

I'd maybe add Paper Mâché Dream Balloon—albums of theirs such as Quarters!, Sketches of Brunswick East, Fishing for Fishies, Butterfly 3000, and even some stuff off of Gumboot Soup and Omnium Gatherum have much more of a mellow vibe. Paper Mâché Dream Balloon is probably the most mellow of all of those, but it's probably the opposite extreme of their sound from Infest the Rats' Nest and Nonagon Infinity. So I think including it as a "core" album would probably help to encompass the most comprehensive range of their sound.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 05:03

they have such a gigantic discography already, I don't even know where to start. LOL
Just sample a bit from a couple albums to see if any of them particularly catch your interest. Their whole thing is that each album is very different, so there's no one album that really sums them up completely (maybe Omnium Gatherum, but I haven't heard it). Nonagon Infinity is really popular, and from what I've heard so far they're best one. Polygondwanaland should appeal to most prog fans. Other stuff is a bit more genre-specific, like Infest The Rats' Nest being thrash metal, or Butterfly 3000 being synth-pop-ish.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 09:43

Nonagon Infinity
Polygondwanaland
Infest The Rats Nest

Yes, maybe my three favorites of theirs. But I do think Tempest_77 has a point. It'll leave you with the impression of a much heavier band than KG&LW really are, but as he goes on reccomending two of my least favorite albums of theirs (Fishing For Fishies and Butterfly 3000). I do love these though:

Sketches of Brunswick East,Gumboot Soup and Omnium Gatherum
The former and latter album in particular
 Post Reply Post Reply