Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Emerson, Lake" & Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 08:55
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^As this recent promo shot from Steve Howe clearly shows.  LOL

HI,

While I can appreciate the humor in this picture, in the end I find it sad. There are far more, old foggies playing our lovely music (our music??? Wow ... I'm addicted!), that don't look good enough to even get a cartoon done for them!

My only concern is that folks that played so hard and followed their instincts for a long time, are few and far in between, and essentially, they have grown old and not able to replicate the stuff as easily as they once did. And the cynical progressive music listeners, will always be upset that the original can no longer be seen or heard. Well, sheeeeepppp dip! The same for Mozart, Beethoven and Stravinsky, and we're not complaining ... we've become so hypocritical about this as to be sick ... and we think of ourselves as progressive, when the attitude is more repressive and boring!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2022 at 07:45
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

^As this recent promo shot from Steve Howe clearly shows.  LOL

HI,

While I can appreciate the humor in this picture, in the end I find it sad. There are far more, old foggies playing our lovely music (our music??? Wow ... I'm addicted!), that don't look good enough to even get a cartoon done for them!

My only concern is that folks that played so hard and followed their instincts for a long time, are few and far in between, and essentially, they have grown old and not able to replicate the stuff as easily as they once did. And the cynical progressive music listeners, will always be upset that the original can no longer be seen or heard. Well, sheeeeepppp dip! The same for Mozart, Beethoven and Stravinsky, and we're not complaining ... we've become so hypocritical about this as to be sick ... and we think of ourselves as progressive, when the attitude is more repressive and boring!

I fully agree with Moshkito.
Steve Howe and Billy Sherwood, in my opinion, were the only Yes members making an effort to provide a worthy performance on the most recent studio album.  
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2022 at 14:20
I am amazed at how Moshkito has managed to say so many truths in this thread without sounding pedantic.

I love you man!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2022 at 15:43
Just out of curiosity...for those who think this idea blows...do you feel the same way about concert films now that they've passed on or is it the combination of a surviving member with sync'd archival footage that has you riled up?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2022 at 03:18
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

I'm guessing you're a fan of Sledge Hammer too.....

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2022 at 06:30
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

I am amazed at how Moshkito has managed to say so many truths in this thread without sounding pedantic.

I love you man!

Hi,

The sad thing (for me) is that we keep holding on to the old timers, and think they will deliver again, and I am not sure they can. They're no longer the same person, or have the same abilities, and sometimes, fame has a way of taking the talent away ... 

The only sad thing ... for me (again!!!) ... is that Keith Emerson is STILL not appreciated as a great composer, and even when you see his works dissected and shown with a copy of the score ... c'mon ... 9 out of 10 bands don't even come close to that ability or care and design for their music! 

But, in this group ... it's all about the song and the favorite number as in a top ten scale. And it is sad, because the appreciation for a true composer and artist, simply is not there in America, and won't be as long as we go around appreciating fake art like Andy Warhol, instead of the real "art" that was around NY that was totally ignored and dumped on to ensure that some folks could make millions off Warhol!

In many ways, we're still doing the same thing and tomorrow a new rendition of a remaster will make SW look like a kid in a toy store, and will be the new thing that will make JT and Yes and everyone else sound miraculously better! Forget the music, of course!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2022 at 06:39
ELP at their magnificent best!

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Live in Zurich 1970

Definitely NOT a waste of talent and electricity, as BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel once said of ELP, although he was probably talking about their much-maligned Love Beach album. Tongue
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2022 at 10:13
No...THIS IS !!!

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 10:56

Just out of curiosity...for those who think this idea blows...do you feel the same way about concert films now that they've passed on or is it the combination of a surviving member with sync'd archival footage that has you riled up?

Exactly.  I really have no problem with Palmer performing in this way.  It is the way it is being sold. The TicketScalper emails only billed the show as "Emerson Lake & Palmer" without any description of how the performance is being staged.  If it was performed in the same way but sold as "Emerson Lake & Palmer: A Tribute by Carl Palmer", I would have been less disgusted by it.   It's possible that Ticketb*****d is the driving force behind the marketing.

Concert films are a completely different animal.  The performance is accurate display of what a band looked and sounded like at a particular stage of their career.  And you usually are not charged a fortune to see it.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 11:21
I can agree with your billing comment. I think Carl was promoting it as "The Return Of' Emerson Lake & Palmer. And yes, I see someone did use the words "the tour will actually reunite ELP LIVE ON STAGE through modern technology". (underlines are mine)

And I think this is an honest comment...
"they felt was a more honest approach using live footage of Keith and Greg on massive video walls alongside Carl (and his band) playing LIVE on stage". (underline is mine)

From Carl...
Sole surviving member Carl Palmer, in association with the Estates of his bandmates Keith Emerson & Greg Lake, has announced the much anticipated WELCOME BACK MY FRIENDS - THE RETURN OF EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Tour. Launching on Friday November 18th, 2022 at the 2300 ARENA in Philadelphia, PA, the tour will actually reunite ELP LIVE ON STAGE through modern technology.

After exploring the idea of a Hologram tour in detail, Palmer (with the Estates of Emerson and Lake) opted for what they felt was a more honest approach using live footage of Keith and Greg on massive video walls alongside Carl (and his band) playing LIVE on stage. The voice and instrumentation of Greg Lake and the unmistakable keyboard mastery of Keith Emerson will be mixed with Palmer's onstage live drumming to magically reunite ELP once again. Paul McCartney's duet with John Lennon at the end of his recent Got Back tour is a good idea of what ELP fans can expect from this show.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 14:41
Hi,

Both of the concerts shown are excellent, although I am partial to the California Jam one where you even get some jazz and some far out stuff and solo piano ... something that you don't get to see very often, and it is a treat to get to see someone just branch out and fly ... again, it makes so many "keyboard" players just look like kids learning to do chords ... it's amazing to watch, and I doubt we will see any more of that in our lives.
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123