Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie from the sunny (and rainy) Philippines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guilty Bystander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie from the sunny (and rainy) Philippines
    Posted: September 17 2022 at 06:36
Hi Proggers!

My name is Bruce and I'm an American expat of 63 born and raised in Seattle but now living in Baguio, Philippines (which is absolutely NOT a hotbed of rock music of any kind...it's a K-Pop haven...uggh).

I had a radio continually glued to my ear from age 6 and my music-listening life changes entirely when I got my first FM radio at 11. Became aware of prog rock about that time with Yes and ELP, added favorites along the way. I guess the top of my own prog favorite list would be pre-"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Yes and pre-"Wind & Wuthering" Genesis, as well as earlier Kansas albums, but I want to learn about more recent artists too...it's not like prog died in the 1980's.

My particular interest is in American prog bands from Cathedral and Yezda Urfa to Flying Colors and Echolyn. I may be inclined to post an occasional review because I love writing even more than music but it'll be the Yank artists I usually focus on, although I'll be as likely post a defense of Genesis' "Trick of the Tail" being their last great album as a review of Ambrosia's "Somewhere I've Never Travelled" as a what-might-have-been effort before they chose to chase the $$$.

Glad to be here. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 13:44
Great to have a fellow stateside prog appreciator---  they don't come much better than Yezda Urfa, Cartoon, Pentwater, HtM, and RtF !

Welcome to the site -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guilty Bystander View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guilty Bystander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2022 at 20:22
Thanks for your reply (and your tips). I've got Yezda Urfa's "Boris" but not "Sacred Baboon" as well as Happy the Man's first two albums. Always considered both HtM and Return to Forever as jazz fusion...same with Jean-Luc Ponty, Pat Metheny (LOVE the title track off "As Falls Wichita...") and Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, all great listening.

Never heard of Cartoon or Pentwater but that's why I'm here: best way to keep your mind young when your body says otherwise is by seeking and discovering new things. I'll check them out.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2022 at 01:39
Love this album from Philippines. Welcome!
Guilty Bystander View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guilty Bystander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2022 at 02:13
Thanks so much for the link. Really enjoying what I'm listening to right now...very evocative. And the guy who created Statua as a solo studio project lives here in Baguio. Tres cool! Now I KNOW I'll buy some music to support him (and will check out his Inhuman metal project too). May have to try tracking him down to buy CDs directly. Hope he speaks English but my fiance speaks eight dialects so she may help.

Again, maraming salamat Po! I love being exposed to new stuff and when it's a local artist, so much the better.
 Post Reply Post Reply