Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I recently spent £44 on Ebay for a Pink Floyd CD..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I recently spent £44 on Ebay for a Pink Floyd CD..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I recently spent £44 on Ebay for a Pink Floyd CD..
    Posted: April 12 2023 at 06:33
I recently spent £44 ($54) on Ebay for a Pink Floyd CD bundle.

Because Pink Floyd albums are not on labels owned by Warner Music Group or Sony Music Group, i realise that there is never going to be a Pink Floyd CD album pack at a good price which those 2 music groups do.   I think there is a Yes Original Album Classics.   Deep down i am a CD person, not a vinyl person (though i do own a small vinyl collection).

I realised the only way im gonna get many PF albums without paying an arm and a leg for each album on CD is to buy a bundle or job lot from Ebay.   9 PF albums for £44 (inc P&P), so that works out at £5 per album.   Below is a photo of every PF album i own now.   Saucerful of Secrets and The Wall i already owned, and DSOTM was already part of my collection too, but i only have that on vinyl, hence why its not in the photo.  So i now own 12 of PF's albums.   I also realise that with their 70s albums, if you want original masters of the albums, you are gonna have to get them on 1st or 2nd pressed vinyl or cassettes.

Edited by Greenmist - April 12 2023 at 06:37
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 06:49
Good on you son! And luckily, The Final Cut was not included. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 07:17
I think I was very lucky in that about a year ago, I was able to purchase a MINT 'Oh By The Way' box set on ebay for just under £70... no-one really bidded against me. I've just looked on Amazon and there is one listed for £139.99 plus P&P... Unhappy

As Steve points out however, the main downside is that it does include The Final Cut... LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 07:42
This thread has prompted me to take a look at eBay for some bargains, so thanks. I don’t use it anywhere near enough, although I would add a wee word of caution, in that there are some sellers who use the site to rip off genuine independent artists - there was a post by Robin Armstrong of Cosmograf recently on Facebook about this. I appreciate this is entirely different to the OPs and Jared above, but thought I would mention it.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 09:11
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I think I was very lucky in that about a year ago, I was able to purchase a MINT 'Oh By The Way' box set on ebay for just under £70... no-one really bidded against me. I've just looked on Amazon and there is one listed for £139.99 plus P&P... Unhappy

How's that a bad thing, something to be sad about? lol
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 09:18
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

How's that a bad thing, something to be sad about? lol

10 years ago or so there was another PF boxset, quite expensive, it was gathering dust on shelves, so that store started selling the CDs inside separately. So i bought a few, especially the pre DSOTM that were hard to find (More especially). Tongue
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 09:38
I discovered the YES - Essentially 5-CD box set in Oxfam recently for the bargain price of just £15, which included the albums:- Magnification; Live at Montreux; The Ladder; Talk; and Open Your Eyes, but when I opened my eyes and looked inside the box, it only contained two CD's. Cry
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 09:57
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I discovered the YES - Essentially 5-CD box set in Oxfam recently for the bargain price of just £15, which included the albums:- Magnification; Live at Montreux; The Ladder; Talk; and Open Your Eyes, but when I opened my eyes and looked inside the box, it only contained two CD's. Cry

I bet that really sucked?

I go to charity shops and car boot sales often and yeah, i try to make a habit out of checking that all the cd's are there, while i can do something about it.   Last summer i found Marillions debut album Script For A Jesters Tear on vinyl at a car boot sale for only £4, one of the highlights of last summer for me.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 10:41
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 11:50
^ What's that mystery album between The Wall and The Final Cut? Is it that ugly Collection of Great Dance Songs? (just curious)

@Greenmist: good catch!

Edited by suitkees - April 12 2023 at 11:52

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 12:58
No, nothing so interesting. It's just a CDR of The Wall that I edited down to fit on a single CD so I could hear it in the car on looooong drives without switching CD's. I've done the same with The Lamb, Tommy, Quadrophenia and Tales From Topographic Oceans.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 19:46

As Steve points out however, the main downside is that it does include The Final Cut... LOL

I got mine from a person I work with. He was getting rid of all his Cd, since he had digitallized all his music (some 5000 Cds), and I got the Pink Floyd box set for free, among other jewels.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2023 at 02:02
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I got mine from a person I work with. He was getting rid of all his Cd, since he had digitallized all his music (some 5000 Cds), and I got the Pink Floyd box set for free, among other jewels.

You're a very lucky man! Like I said, this set rarely goes for under £100 here now, usually more, which is why I thought I did very well to get it absolutely Mint for £68 about a year ago. I had previously picked up the Yes 'Studio Albums 69-87' set for £60 (primarily because they are the remastered with all the extra tracks) and that can also be quite hard to find these days, too... 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2023 at 04:07
I haven't had much luck with Ebay, particularly for the more obscure stuff. I still find better prices at LaserCD or Wayside Music here in the States.

Anyhow, back in 1995 I bought the Shine On box set brand new (released in 1992) for $100 from a local record shop which worked out to about $14/album. This was cheaper than buying them individually. At that time, locally, new PF CDs were going for $17 or higher each. I've kept the box set in mint condition and copies of this are going for between $200 and $500 nowadays depending on the seller. You can definitely get it cheaper than that, but it's usually falling apart or is missing one or more of the CDs, usually the singles digipak.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2023 at 04:31
Just a few days ago I purchased the 50th anniversary edition of Pink Floyd's DSOTM on vinyl for my 26 year old Nephew for his birthday. He's having an epiphany over this band when I suggested he listen to Time, Welcome To The Machine, Sheep and Run Like Hell. ''Mind blown''. Always good when you can get the 'youngsters' interested in prog!
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 11:23
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 14:10
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

I recently spent £44 ($54) on Ebay for a Pink Floyd CD bundle.

Because Pink Floyd albums are not on labels owned by Warner Music Group or Sony Music Group, i realise that there is never going to be a Pink Floyd CD album pack at a good price which those 2 music groups do.   I think there is a Yes Original Album Classics.   Deep down i am a CD person, not a vinyl person (though i do own a small vinyl collection).

I realised the only way im gonna get many PF albums without paying an arm and a leg for each album on CD is to buy a bundle or job lot from Ebay.   9 PF albums for £44 (inc P&P), so that works out at £5 per album.   Below is a photo of every PF album i own now.   Saucerful of Secrets and The Wall i already owned, and DSOTM was already part of my collection too, but i only have that on vinyl, hence why its not in the photo.  So i now own 12 of PF's albums.   I also realise that with their 70s albums, if you want original masters of the albums, you are gonna have to get them on 1st or 2nd pressed vinyl or cassettes.

You can try Discogs and send the sellers an email and see if they will bundle sell you CDs if they have the ones you want.
It's very hard to find some of the many obscure PF titles in the wild....You might spend many many years hunting.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 07:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Good on you son! And luckily, The Final Cut was not included. Wink
I've taken a life to fully enjoy it, but now TFC is one of my favorite PF albums. 

Edited by octopus-4 - April 19 2023 at 07:37
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply