Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Divisive Prog Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 20:17
^Paul, it's still not as divisive as Heaven & Earth, Open Your Eyes or Union (referred to as Onion by Rick Wakeman). 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 21:40
I can recall some people saying Desolation Rose is one of the weakest Flower Kings records, and others considering it as one of their best. Personally, it's my #1 (unpopular opinion).
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 00:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I posit that ALL prog albums are "divisive," otherwise they wouldn't be progressive.  

And I'd posit that not all prog albums are progressive.

If a prog album is TRULY progressive, it will not be universally accepted by the hoi polloi. 

We're not talking about the Monkees.  

However, not all prog albums are good.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 05:48
^ Never underestimate The Monkees.

Edited by Easy Money - June 07 2023 at 05:53
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 12:52
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I can recall some people saying Desolation Rose is one of the weakest Flower Kings records, and others considering it as one of their best. Personally, it's my #1 (unpopular opinion).

Not one of their better ones imo. I'd say Adam and Eve is weaker though. I shoud still play it (DR) again soon anyway though since it's been a while.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 07 2023 at 12:53
IncogNeato View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 08:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Dream Theater - Awake - it's become a love it or hate it kind of album. It was a quite relevant, important album when it came out. Quite influential as well. 

This, IMO, is DT's pinnacle. They never topped it.

For me, a divisive DT would be 'Falling Into Infinity'. I understand folks' complaints about it but I find it a strong, better than decent album. They went downhill fast after this.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 10:16
Originally posted by IncogNeato IncogNeato wrote:

Dream Theater - Awake - it's become a love it or hate it kind of album. It was a quite relevant, important album when it came out. Quite influential as well. 

For me, a divisive DT would be 'Falling Into Infinity'. I understand folks' complaints about it but I find it a strong, better than decent album. They went downhill fast after this.

I think Dream Theater as a band are divisive. I happen to dislike them very much, largely probably due to Labrie's vocals, which I can't stand - I happen to like Liquid Tension Experiment a bit; I don't love them but they're nice in small doses.

I think the new Avenged Sevenfold album, Life is but a Dream, is quite divisive - Lots of people who have hated the band in the past happen to like this one, and lots of longtime fans happen to dislike this one. But most longtime fans do still like this one, and most haters of the band still dislike this one. For people with no prior opinion on the band, it seems to be a hit or miss - either they like it or they dislike it, with probably more favorable preference towards the album.

Edited by bardberic - June 23 2023 at 10:17
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 13:58

I haven't heard them in a while but I really can't imagine anyone thinking SFAM Metropolis part 2 or even Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence were weaker albums than Falling Into Infinity. 
IncogNeato View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 14:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I haven't heard them in a while but I really can't imagine anyone thinking SFAM Metropolis part 2 or even Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence were weaker albums than Falling Into Infinity. 

I'll be that guy. For me, the band became lifeless with Rudess. His obvious talent and supreme skills notwithstanding, the music they've made with him, with the exception of SFAM2, is boring in the long run. They went from a prog band with a vibe and an identity to, IMO, a band that plays a series of scale-r*ping passages spotted with occasional vocals.

FII is VERY different from what came before and after it. But, it has it's own personality. Sherinian added a "rock and roll" undercurrent to what DT was doing. The worst part of that album is Portnoy's lyrics.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 16:52
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I would say A Passion Play. Controversial, different than anything Tull had done before, The critics did not treated it well, but the fans took it to Number one in the charts.

This. Either you love it, or you don't get it. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910