Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCoheed and Cambria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 17:44

So are they getting added? I strongly think they should!

Just listen to 2113!

Mikeypoo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 22:26

I Just purchased "Good apollo im burning star IV" and although i enjoyed the album, i have a changed opinion about the band. i was writing based on limmited exposure, so to speek, and it seem s that many of the other members were and are doing so as well. Welcome home i believe is the name of the song i first heard by the coheed bunch and since my background in music is metal... i loved it! i also heard in keeping secrets of silent earth III (the song) but was less interested in it along with the poppy/emo sounding "favor House Atlantic"  which is NOT a good representation of the band as a whole for those of you who saw the video and went "YucK" as i did. that's it. with those three songs as background, i formed an opinion of the band that was very wrong and it seems that many of you here have done the same. take the time to get to know a band before you discredit them or form an extreme opinion. coheed and cambria is a much more mature band than i would have ever thought based just listening to their singles.(which are crappy IMHO)  they definatly contain many elements of a couple different genres including prog and a indie/punk influence as well... but they are doing something that is completely different from almost every other band on the market today. they have their own unique sound, blend elements of diferent styles, are a constantly evolving entity, and continuously push the envelope musically. If this is not the definition of a prog band.. then i dont know what is. i dont mean to sound like a fan boy and if i do i am sorry but they clearly, at least from my point of view, merit inclusion on this site. I would have never discovered prog if i had blown off Dream Theater as a crappy metal wanna-be after i heard the single "Lie" which i disliked. please dont ignore C&C based on their singles or videos... you might end up regretting it as i did with dream theater. thanks for letting me spill my mind... Mike

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 23:21
I have Good Apollo IV and have heard a lot now and I'm still not enjoying it greatly.  The three tracks I like and the final track "The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut" is the best track on the album, but the rest isn't my thing.  Great musicians, great concept.

I don't think they're prog either.  They have prog moments at the beginning and end of songs, but that's about it.  How is playing a Pink Floyd style of guitar progressive?  I love the final track, sure, but it's nothing new.  I'm also not keen on Claudio's singing.  "The Suffering" is the most irritating track on the whole album and the pathetic "hey!" from Kathryn are bad and that whole song is emo (nothing wrong with emo, it's just not my thing).  But this opinion is just after listening to this one album, I've not heard anything else.

Edited by Geck0
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 13:39
Coheed and Cambria deserve to be on here   
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:48
they are art rock by definition. f**king put them on here already

listen to Hella
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 12:11
They are currently under discussion - bear with us - no need to swear
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 03:24
What did really happen with the inclusion?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 04:47
They have been cleared for inclusion, but the collabs cannot decide which category to put them in. Personally I would put them in Art Rock, since we have no Progressive Alternative Rock category. But I guess that when they are added they'll end up in Prog Related.
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 05:02

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

They have been cleared for inclusion, but the collabs cannot decide which category to put them in. Personally I would put them in Art Rock, since we have no Progressive Alternative Rock category. But I guess that when they are added they'll end up in Prog Related.

I would too agree with art rock...but i dont understand why everybody is compairing them to the mars volta  Infact the band that i found could most closely resemble them musically is A.C.T

But no doubt the 4 last tracks on the Good apollo album is prog

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 05:07
^ I've never seen anyone comparing them to TMV - it makes no sense, completely different genres.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 15:18
I have their second album 'In Keeping With Secret Earth' (or whatever the hell it's called) and it is emo-rock to me with some prog, well some Rush-esque, tendencies to the fore. Not sure I'd call them a priority act on the site, and it's 'prog related' at best imo.
Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 21:53
coheed's metal forays are eerily similar to toned-down iron maiden riffs
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 22:33
Resurrected for Rael! 
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 22:49

Hey thanks a lot Trotsky.  I'm new, so you will have to excuse my newbieness until I get the swing of things.

I think they should be added to the list, but I am just starting to really delve into prog rock, so I may not have the best understanding of what prog, and what this site considers prog, but all I know is I really dig these guys. 

Their first album Second Stage Turbine Blade is definatly not prog, even though I still really like it.  Whether they belong on the list or not, they are still 10 times more progressive than the trash mtv spews, when they actually decide to spew it.

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 15:26

Magazines persist in calling them a prog rock act, but I persist in my doubts- concept albums do not a prog band make, else we'd have Hall and Oates, The Osmonds and David Cassidy here!!

I think there's no sense in having them here whilst bands like Iron Maiden, Helloween and Rainbow are going to be vetoed as to these ears, I can relate far more to any of those bands' prog themes than C & C's, yet I wouldn't vote yes to any of those being here, therefore I wouldn't have done for C & C either... Still prog related at best, imo, if they are going to be added.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234