Topic ClosedBig Genesis Rumour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Genesis Rumour
    Posted: August 02 2004 at 03:46
This rumour has been doing the rounds for some time now, but recently additional details have been added which make it sound possible.......

The gist is that the full 1974 lineup of Genesis are to reform for an album and tour; this will, however, not be until mid/late 2005 due to Phil Collins's committment to a Walt Disney Project......*

Now, this could be either wonderful/orgasmic, or it could be a little sad to see; however, I'll be there at thr front of the queue to give them the benefit of the doubt.

*this is only my opinion, but given what Collins did to Genesis in the '80's, are there many pre 1975 Genesis fans who would shed a tear if Collins were not involved?? Bring back John Mayhew!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 14:45

I'm sure if it happened it would be a real moneyspinner for them, "Hell freezes over" and all that.

I hear what you say about Collins, but he was an integral part of the band. Meyhew's contribution to "Trespass" has always been vastly underrated, but he really cannot be considered to be part of the classic line up.

Personally, I reckon they'd be best to stick to tour and forget making a new album together. They can always release the live album, DVD etc. afterwards, and fill the bank balances that way.

Arbiter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 18:43

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

this is only my opinion, but given what Collins did to Genesis in the '80's, are there many pre 1975 Genesis fans who would shed a tear if Collins were not involved?? Bring back John Mayhew!

I read recently on the VH1 website that they contacted a number of the principles involved and all agreed it was only a rumour, no one had talked to them about it. I looked, but can't find the page, sorry.

I know many who love this site think Phil Collins is persona non grata, and that's fair game, but for what it's worth I'd like to offer that without him a Genesis reunion would be missing more than you think - IMHO he was an integral part of the classic line-up, and I think he became an even stronger drummer post Gabriel - he moved form a melodic to a more rythmic percussion style, and became quite a bit more creative. Few seem to agree and I think that's a product of the fact that many fans largely ignored Genesis after Gabriel left, and totally abandoned them when Hackett said goodbye. A pity, really, because he's gotta be the most under-rated drummer in the Prog world (Neal Peart a close second). IMO his work on "Dance on a Volcano/Los Endos",  "Behind the Lines" (the whole Duke suite actually), "Burning Rope", "One for the vine", Grabriel's 3rd solo album, etc. , is really exceptional and takes a back seat to no one. Give it another listen, you might be surprised.

By the way, why are we using a small font...are we saying something secret or naughty!!??

"Some things have to be believed to be seen."
-Ralph Hodgson
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 05:23

When my favourite Dutch progrock band Kayak re-united in the late nineties 15 years after they called it quits, I did not have high hopes. They proved me wrong, and produced some of their best work ever in recent years (including that unsung masterpiece Merlin - Bard of the unseen).

For a Genesis reunion, I have the same doubts. Hopefully I will be proven wrong once more.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2004 at 19:11
I heard Phil say in an interview earlier this year that he would not be against doing it either with the classic Line Up or the pop line up but he didn't want to combine them. He said he would be more than happy to just play drums in the classic line up and that he did not want to be the one who put it together.  No coments form any other member was offered.
 Post Reply Post Reply