Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello Progers!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello Progers!
    Posted: November 25 2005 at 07:07

Hi There!

I am glad to se a forum so alive with music enthusiasts sharing my entusiasm about progresive rock.

I like all kinds of music (well not ALL  kinds but...). My music collection includes much pop and rock also some country. But the two favorite genres are:

1 Renaissance/baroque music

2 Progresive rock.

I have recently discoverd that there is more progresive bands out there. I have loved and enjoyed listening to Yes, Genesis, ELP, Gentle Giant, Kansas, JethroTull and some bands with more or less prog connections like Saga, Mike Oldfield, Alan Parsons Project, Marillion, Jean Michelle Jarre. Since the late 80´s. Bands like Änglagård, Flowerkings and tons of other bands that you guys seem so worked up about is like discovering new and interesting composers from the time of Tallis and Byrd , thanks for the inspiration!

I have listened to a new progrock band that I like alot, a tip from me to you guys for a change. "moon safari" has released a record called "a doorway to summer". Check out their homepage for a sample.

------------------------------------------------------------ ---

- mountains come out of the sky, and they stand there.

Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 07:17
Have you tried: Van der graaf generator or perhaps Mostly Autumn or Blackmoores night?
lubin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 15:54

Hi Bosse!

I am new member thise pages too and I think that rock music(especially prog rock) and baroque music are very similar.I am faithful listener both kinds of music.The cover versions of old baroque music are very interesting for me and I still look for rock bands that are impacted by baroque music.Have you got any tips?  

lubin
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 18:04

Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 18:21
Hi there, Bossy. 
And above all, is punk
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 19:55
Bosse View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 03:07

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

Lindsay: I am trying VdGG out but have not found out much about the rest of the bands you mentioned.

Originally posted by lubin lubin wrote:

Hi Bosse!

I am new member thise pages too and I think that rock music(especially prog rock) and baroque music are very similar.I am faithful listener both kinds of music.The cover versions of old baroque music are very interesting for me and I still look for rock bands that are impacted by baroque music.Have you got any tips?  

Yes, you are probably right. I like when covers are made of baroque music with honesty and involvment(?), but what I have heard many covers just add a silly drumbeat trying to dig gold in the disco arena... not much to my liking.

However I very much like baroque interpreted in the "new" way with "original" instruments, and with life. Baroque should be dancable, played to slow or romantic, baroque can really be a sleaping pill.

Post Reply Post Reply