Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA great track from a not so great artist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A great track from a not so great artist?
    Posted: November 27 2005 at 08:05

Hi folks. Some days ago I discovered a track by Chris DeBurgh, called Broken Wings, and I really enjoy this song! The song i probably a live version, but I don't want to check out the original recording in fear of being let down...

Anyway, have any of you ever discovered great songs by artists/bands that you never thougt were able to make great music, or music that YOU could appreciate?

UncleMeat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 09:17
Originally posted by Peter the young Peter the young wrote:

Hi folks. Some days ago I discovered a track by Chris DeBurgh, called Broken Wings, and I really enjoy this song! The song i probably a live version, but I don't want to check out the original recording in fear of being let down...

Anyway, have any of you ever discovered great songs by artists/bands that you never thougt were able to make great music, or music that YOU could appreciate?

A great song by Chris DeBurgh sounds really impossible to me.Wink

I can not remember hearing great songs from musicians whose music I hate. But there are some good songs from musicians I do not really care about like Ray of Light from Madonna, State of Independence by Donna Summer or Ain't nobody by Chaka Khan and Rufus.

Music Is The Best
Peter the young View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 09:29

I know it sound a bit far out, but it it's good

retuow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 12:22
"Music" and "Don't Tell Me" by Madonna aren't bad . The rest of her music is , at least in my opinion...
Human beings were created by water to carry it uphill.
jefmoret View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 18:46
There's a top forty adored-by-teenage-girls type singer named Vanessa Carlton. Completely room-temperature garbage, with the exception of one song called "A Thousand Miles". Very well played, well produced....sounds a bit like Holidays In Eden/Brave-era Marillion.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 18:51
^ Yeah, I remember liking that Vanessa Carlton song as well.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 19:07

"Music (was my first love)" - John Miles is very interesting.

Guigo

~~~~~~
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 08:06
Originally posted by UncleMeat UncleMeat wrote:

I can not remember hearing great songs from musicians whose music I hate. But there are some good songs from musicians I do not really care about like Ray of Light from Madonna, State of Independence by Donna Summer or Ain't nobody by Chaka Khan and Rufus.

Well, State of Independence is a Jon & Vangelis song, so you don't need to feel too embarrassed about liking it. I reckon everyone has naff songs that they secretly like - I quite like "Land of make believe" by Bucks Fizz.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 08:43
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well, State of Independence is a Jon & Vangelis song, so you don't need to feel too embarrassed about liking it. I reckon everyone has naff songs that they secretly like - I quite like "Land of make believe" by Bucks Fizz.

Wasn't that Bucks Fizz song written by someone from a prog band, or at least a heavy rock band?? I cant remember who...

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 10:02
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Wasn't that Bucks Fizz song written by someone from a prog band, or at least a heavy rock band?? I cant remember who...

Actually a decade before Lady In Red, Chris De Burgh was into story-songs in the style of Al Stewart ... his album Spanish Train & Other Stories is a great starting point for a very different CdB

I'm not sure about Bucks Fizz, but I know that at one point Pete Sinfield did lyrics for some 80s pop bands including BF and Five Star!!!

My vote for great song by not-so great band (and really there are many) is the astounding fusion of country and prog-rock by Poco called Crazy Eyes ... blows me away every time
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 11:00

I do believe you're right - I think it was Pete Sinfield. That must mean that Bucks Fizz deserve a place in the Archives - the campaign starts here!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 06:32

I do believe you're right - I think it was Pete Sinfield. That must mean that Bucks Fizz deserve a place in the Archives - the campaign starts here!

Yes, it was Sinfield! I remember now..

I fully back your campaign for BF inclusion in then archives!

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 08:16

Cheers, then we can have pervy pictures of Jay Aston!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 08:51

Cheers, then we can have pervy pictures of Jay Aston!

Perfect!

Can anyone link Tight Fit to prog rock at all?? Just think of their leopard skin mini skirts...

Politician View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:56
I have an album called "One And A Half" by a Dutch band called FLUE.
Most of it is really gruesome eighties synth-rock, but it closes with a ten
minute improvisation that sounds very close to early AMON DÜÜL II.
 Post Reply Post Reply